Palm Internet Enabled Geocaching Webpage

docdesi

I just recently got a Treo 600 (woohoo..more toys..esp since it is a palm pilot, phone and wireless web integrated all in one)..i am able to get onto the geocaching page but the browser (Blazer) has a hard time with larger web pages...am thinking about Cachemate or one of its clones but since i have instant internet access whereever i can get a Sprint signal (which in the philly area isnt a problem)..am wondering if Jeremy in his infinite wisdom :-) would consider enabling a form of the website to be more accessible to the population that is using more palm enabled web devices...i am not yet a paying member of this site but as soon as i start going back out this year i will pay up (dont like freezing weather caching)...so would make me want to pay even faster and possibly pay another added premium if this could be done..any thoughts.....

I have driven around with the Dell sniffer on and had 4 access point offer themselves up to at the same time. Unlocked :)

It asks do you want to connect?

I haven't stooped low enough to do it yet, but........ :blink:

If they're unlocked, what would make you think the owners didn't want them publicly available? It's not like leaving their front door unlocked -- it's more like leaving a garden hose running, sitting on the sidewalk; I can't imagine anyone minding me taking a drink. Or like leaving a radio playing outside; I can't imagine anyone being upset that I stop to listen.

I've got a wireless connection at my house that I've chosen to leave unlocked, for anyone to access. I have a hard time imagining that most access point owners are clueless about their connectivity. Sure, there's some, but not most.

If it's WEP encrypted -- even though I've heard that's easily breakable -- I'll avoid it, because the owner is expressing an intention of keeping people out. But an access point that's open is... well... open. Absent any hints that this is something that shouldn't be accessed, a signal that's saying "I'm open, here's my SSID if you want to connect," seems like an invitation.

There is a difference in leaving it open because you're clueless, leaving in open because you're helpfull, and leaving it open in order to see what kind of passwords you can collect from people using your AP.

While by no means a security expert, I turn off sharing and try to make sure I'm signed on via cookies to whatever site I'm trying to access whenever I'm trying to access via an open access point. That at least saves me from sending usernames and passwords in the clear.

Hint! Hint! TPTB, are you listening? An SSL signon would be helpful for a group of people whose hobby is to travel from home base and are techies by nature.

CR