Letterboxing Is More Environmentally Friendly Than

What a fresh, fascinating topic. :blink: I saw this thread last night and could easily hear my echo in here. I was so proud of all of the forum posters that I thought had taken the high road by choosing not to respond.

Whoops, guess my hypocrisy is sounding a bit like JMBella. "This forum is useless and should be closed... but I'll post to it a few dozen times until then." :) Just messin' with ya, JMBella.

You're still here?! :)

Edited by JMBella
Truth be known this area is more sensitive than more temperate areas. The pony express trail is just at the bottom of the hill and can still be clearly seen. The forty mile desert located north of this location still has wagon tracks from settlers heading to California.

But who besides you knows about this?!? :blink:

Alan

Truth be known this area is more sensitive than more temperate areas. The pony express trail is just at the bottom of the hill and can still be clearly seen. The forty mile desert located north of this location still has wagon tracks from settlers heading to California.

But who besides you knows about this?!? :blink:

Alan

well! anyone who has read this topic now. :) actually, i found that pic interesting and would like to know where it is. ever watch a pbs show on the donner party? i have, and can't believe people got past denver. i would have said "pa, the kids and i are staying here, you go on ahead." the cut-off around the great salt lake was a tragedy waiting to happen.

All the letterboxers are forced to take pretty much the same path, which  is more likely to cause damage by destroying vegetation, and worse, compacting the soil (Break a few twigs, no real harm. Stomp on a few plants, they grow back. But if you compact the soil, that totally changes things and can cause erosion and allow invasive, or non-native species to take root.

Since geocachers often come from different directions (e.g. your "backdoor") and the units have a built in EPE,  this makes it unlikely that any two geocachers will take the exact same route. This spreads out impact and allows the area time to recover.  The further off the trail the cache is, the more this is true. 

Therefore it could be argued that geocaching is more environmentally friendly than letterboxing and placing the cache far off the trail is the most environmentally friendly method of cache placement.

What 'Snat said!

What they said!

Happy caching and stuff!

But who besides you knows about this?!?    :ph34r:

Alan

well! anyone who has read this topic now. :ph34r: actually, i found that pic interesting and would like to know where it is. ever watch a pbs show on the donner party? i have, and can't believe people got past denver. i would have said "pa, the kids and i are staying here, you go on ahead." the cut-off around the great salt lake was a tragedy waiting to happen.

Here is a short decription of the location,

Desert Station .

There are a couple of virt's in Truckee CA as well as a traditional cache in areas around where the Donner party stayed and at memorials. The book "Trial By Hunger" is an excelent account of the Donner Parties winter.

Who know's about the fragile desert ecosystem? All the local off road clubs. Anybody who reads the paper, or watches TV.

Maybe a letter box near an old pony express station would be cool. There is one near Sand Mountain that would be perfect.

You're still here?!  :ph34r:

I'm more than a little embarassed to say yes, I am (periodically) still here. I'm gradually escaping the grasp of the gigantic black hole that is these forums (at least I assume that's what that sucking noise is), though.

Reach for my hand, JM! Don't give up! You may still be able to make it out of here!!!

You're still here?!  :ph34r:

I'm more than a little embarrassed to say yes, I am (periodically) still here. I'm gradually escaping the grasp of the gigantic black hole that is these forums (at least I assume that's what that sucking noise is), though.

Reach for my hand, JM! Don't give up! You may still be able to make it out of here!!!

I was going to offer you a life line. As you can see I have gladly refrained from posting on this thread (well more or less). I've said everything I need to say in the other topic. Basically, my opinion is echoed in here. Thanks for looking out for me though. :ph34r:

Edited by JMBella
I was going to offer you a life line.  As you can see I have gladly refrained from posting on this thread (well more or less). I've said everything I need to say in the other topic. Basically, my opinion is echoed in here.  Thanks for looking out for me though. :P

Sorry, I've been so cranky in here ever since that crazy wilderness thread. :ph34r: I think I need to go relax a little; maybe take some time off from this place. No hard feelings, ey? :ph34r: Enjoy.