Underwater Cache

aisledog

I have it in mind to place a cache in the local canal, obviously in a position which would not pose a navigation hazard or any other danger. Can anyone advise me if this is feasible? What would make the best containers and would I need/get clearance from the Water Authority?

I have it in mind to place a cache in the local canal, obviously in a position which would not pose a navigation hazard or any other danger. Can anyone advise me if this is feasible? What would make the best containers and would I need/get clearance from the Water Authority?

I can tell you it's bloomin' hard to get something waterproof (immersion proof, not just splash proof) which can be made heavy enough to sink and still have useful internal space.

Note that something that can keep water in (a bottle, for instance) can't necessarily keep it out. The pressure at the neck of a bottle is minimal, the pressure at the bottom of a canal is huge.

Also note it'll be covered in disgusting goo and possibly shellfish within a short space of time.

When we went to sink a cache, we luckily found a hideyhole nearby where we could put it in the dry.

Cheers,

Stu

I just did a cache like this ( I wont reveal which one because It was meant to be a suprise) but it worked really well and the container was dry inside. It was a cylinder type container with a screw top, containing another screw top inside. I think cache with twists like that are great so go for it!

As a canal user (we own a narrowboat on the Kennet and Avon) I have to say I dont think its a good idea to actually immerse a cache into the canal.

Not only are you going to have problems finding something suitable to use as a container, you will also have problems anchoring it firmly. When a narrowboat passes by it will try to suck the cache underneath. Even if the cache is heavy and firmly anchored, each time a boat goes by its going to pull at that anchoring and eventually it will become weakened.

Also, if there was any instance of a cache fouling a lock, it would actually be a criminal offence. We have enough of a problem as it is with vandalism to locks.

So, even if its originally placed so that it doesnt appear to be any chance of it fouling the underneath of a boat, there is still a chance.

Having spent plenty of time up to our armpits fishing about in freezing water trying to clear our prop, I really wouldnt be impressed if it was part of a cache that I dragged out! It probably wouldnt do too much damage to our boat, the bottom of the hull is 12mm steel after all, however, some of the fibreglass cruisers are a little more delicate!

Hope this viewpoint helps.

Tiffany

Edited by Rangers of Ithilien

I have to disagree on this cache site. Geocaching is done by a lot of families, families with small children. How often to we read in the paper or see it on the local news about children drowning in canals? Ok a cache near a canal but far enough away from the water not to cause a danger. Sorry if I sound grumpy but thats just my opinion. Anyone not happy with a cache site can always choose not to do that one.

Hi all, we are building an underwater cache in Sweden right now.

We went to a local plumber warehouse and a local chain called "Home Store" that sells everything for handy men that wants to rebuild their home.

We bought a grey plastic tube, about 20 cm (less than one feet) long. This kind of tube is used in buildings for the water, now you perhaps understand?

In one end of this tube will we place an "end" (it's a plastic thing that) that are tight and keep the water out.

In the other end did we find a screw lid made for these pips/tubes.

We are not sure yet HOW we should get these things together, we have tested it under water for 24 hours without getting paper inside wet. But we can't just squeeze the parts together, we must either find glue that can hold it together under water, or perhaps heat it up, so it melts together???

We are making a Swedish e-zine about geocaching, and in the second issue that will come out March 1, will there start a serie about this underwater cache.

The plan is attach a steelwire with a snaphook to the cache without drilling any holes... The other end of the wire will be attached to a small concrete block that we will make. This will keep the cache on the location we choosed :D

Then are we gonna go out with a boat in the late spring or early summer, and dive down and place the cache, approx about 5 meters down or so!

People must need special skills and equipment to find it, but it will be easy to release the cache for the wire and take it up to the surface. Open it, retrieve the log book from a bunch of ziplock bags. Log it, replace the logbook inside the ziplock bags, make sure that is closed correct, and dive down again and attach it to the wire.

I are planning of taking pics of the parts today, are you interested of seeing them? B)

Lets see if I can upload some photos...

container.jpg

container2.jpg

container-short.jpg

container-inside.jpg

container-screwlid.jpg

The first two shows how this 13 cm long container looks like.

The third pic show how the closed end looks like.

The fourth pic show how the container looks inside (note the O-ring).

The fifth pic show how the screwlid parts look like.

I can just sqeeze my hand into the cache, so it can hold a TB, logbook, pencil and so on. But we are thinking of perhaps using a diver slate instead of log book and penicl.

Edited by hedberg

It sounds like it will definately be a different sort of cache!

UK canals though are different to the sort of water you will be hiding yours in. Canals here are sometimes only 2'6" deep and from time to time the narrowboats can even get stuck on silt banks!

We also have a width issue. A narrow beam canal can be just wide enough to allow two narrowboats to pass with only inches to spare (2 narrowboats at 6'11" approx each plus 6" for example). You dont want to have a concrete block to navigate as well.

Aisledog, I am not totally against underwater caches personally, just ones on canals and navigable rivers. There are plenty of other non-navigable watery locations.

However, I also agree with TartanT with regards to the safety of this when it comes to small children. Accidents do happen, it would be horrific if Geocaching was cited as the reason people were fishing about in the water.

Tiffany

I have to disagree on this cache site. Geocaching is done by a lot of families, families with small children. How often to we read in the paper or see it on the local news about children drowning in canals? Ok a cache near a canal but far enough away from the water not to cause a danger. Sorry if I sound grumpy but thats just my opinion. Anyone not happy with a cache site can always choose not to do that one.

We often warn on our pages when there is deep water about, especially if the cache is near it. Example here.

I don't think we should not place a cache in/near deep water, but on a low-terrain cache, it's worth warning prospective finders what they might find. If it's a 5*, then the kids probably shouldn't be there, or should be very savvy.

Like you say - with the warning, people can choose not to do the cache if they're not happy.

Cheers,

Stu

i can see the attraction but would only make one comment. weills disease (probably spelt wrong) from rats urine. very nasty very easy to catch from water where rats are ie canals etc. but at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice. when you set it up let people know it's underwater or something similar as a warning. they can then choose. the more variety the better.

We are not sure yet HOW we should get these things together, we have tested it under water for 24 hours without getting paper inside wet. But we can't just squeeze the parts together, we must either find glue that can hold it together under water, or perhaps heat it up, so it melts together???

What you need is PVC cement. This a type of glue that is used with plastic pipes and fittings which partially melts the plastic and it then fuses together. It it completely water tight if correctly used, and can withstand at least 5 Bar - possibly more.

i can see the attraction but would only make one comment. weills disease (probably spelt wrong) from rats urine. very nasty very easy to catch from water where rats are ie canals etc. but at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice. when you set it up let people know it's underwater or something similar as a warning. they can then choose. the more variety the better.

I agree with this- I for one wouldn't be too happy about fishing around in any canals!

MarcB