Geocaching Tax Deduction

T10X

I started doing our 03 taxes this weekend and realized I was a few deductions short of getting a big check. I was wondering if I could get away with deducting the cost of GPS, PDA, computer, internet connection, gas, car mileage, containers and swag as a medical deduction(mental health)? What do you think? :mad:

I, however, volunteer to update USGS Topo maps.

I use my GPS in track mode to map out new roads, and in waypoint mode to mark the location of "landmarks" and certain buildings.

My Meridian Color, and a few other items, will be deducted from my taxes for 2003. :mad:

Edited by DustyJacket

I also use mine to measure boards for my woodworking project (though it's not very accurate, and some cabinets I've built are rather odd looking), and also to mark the location of trees on the farm in need of cutting...so......heheheheheheheheh......you get the point.

And remember, kids, it's only illegal if you get caught! :mad:

I have many other geocaching related tax questions:

It is essentially an act of charity to hide a cache. Should not the cost of the container and the stuff inside be deductible as a donation to the geocaching community? Could sombody create a large cache that was also a charitible trust so that we could dump all of our garage sale junk into it and also claim a tax deduciton? If you leave something more valuable than you take, could the net difference in value be deductible? If you take something more valuable than you leave, could that be considered taxable income? Will IRS agents begin staking out the caches with the really good swag and audit the logbooks?

I haven't finished my taxes yet. I'm still waiting for my 1099-GEO.

Edited by Quest Master

I think I should be able to deduct it all, including the new boots and digital camera, as a medical deduction, because it's helped me lose alot of weight in the last year, and so gain control of the diabetes. Yeah, that's the ticket! :mad:

What do all you lawyers amonst us think about that?

Ugh! I started mine and although I used to work as a tax preparer around 10 years ago, I have now found that the schedule D is next to impossible. I am faced with this wonderful government thing where I know the correct answer, but am screwing up filling out the overly complicated form (I know a way to make it easier, maybe I shoud write the IRS) so I keep coming up with what I know is the incorrect capital gain number!

More on topic:

I, however, volunteer to update USGS Topo maps.

I use my GPS in track mode to map out new roads, and in waypoint mode to mark the location of "landmarks" and certain buildings.

My Meridian Color, and a few other items, will be deducted from my taxes for 2003. 

Yes, if you use your GPS for a charitable purpose, you can take a deduction for your expenses. But a deduction for the entire cost of the GPS when you use it for personal reasons would not be legal. I take a deduction every year for my costs of attending mock trial competitions with students as a contribution to the University of Nebraska.

I had to buy a GPS for work, so I'm deducting that along with the MapSource software. I also bought a $50 used laptop, so I'm calling it a GPS accessory. I'm also writing off ~some~ of the things I had to buy for the laptop, such as modem and phone cable. I'm ~not~ writing off the speakers, which have absolutely no work-related use.

Also writing off the recharger and batteries.

-Bob

It is essentially an act of charity to hide a cache. Should not the cost of the container and the stuff inside be deductible as a donation to the geocaching community?

It'd be tough to swing this. MiGO's been going down the path of nonprofit IRS status and we've been advised on several occasions that charitable status (501©(3)) is a longshot for us despite our growing educational role in the state. Without a ©(3) designation, no donations to the cache or the caching community could be tax deductible.

It's an interesting question and concept... and perhaps you were joking but I'm intrigued. It'd be a super longshot but it'd be a pretty popular cache ;)

It'd be tough to swing this. MiGO's been going down the path of nonprofit IRS status and we've been advised on several occasions that charitable status (501©(3)) is a longshot for us despite our growing educational role in the state. Without a ©(3) designation, no donations to the cache or the caching community could be tax deductible.

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to get 501©(3) status. At least I know of several more recreationally oriented groups that have 501©(3). Do me a favor and drop me a line if you have problems with the process. I think Nebraskache is going to consider going that route and I would like to know if other groups have issues with the process.

edit: apparrently the forum is set to automatically change a "c" in brackets to ©.

Edited by carleenp