Placing A Cache

Gizmo & Brazin

I have a couple of caches ready to hide and have some ideas on where to place them. I know there are guidelines on placing caches too close to others and I am trying to get some places where there aren't any caches already. Is there an easy way to tell before I place one and submit it with the coordinates, if there is already one in the area? Many times the caches have a name that have nothing to do with it's location, ie: "Terry's Treasure" which could in reality be Meadowdale Beach. (Just examples). I have read the caches in the zip code area I live in and I *think* I have picked places that don't already have ones hidden, but is there a easy way to tell for sure? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Gizmo

I think it's best to visit your hiding spot prior to placing the cache. Get the coordinates, then go home and put them into a search. If they come up too close to another, you can then adjust things. Don't make the Approvers have to do that for you and archive it right off. Get things right, place your cache and then ask for approval. If you do your part the Approvers don't have to baby sit and waste time (theirs and yours). :rolleyes: Otherwise I'm glad to see more people hiding caches. Cache on! <_<

We have one cache on a local trail that a newer cacher literally "stepped" over while placing his cache about 15 feet away! He thought he checked to see if any were in the local area, but missed it. The approver caught the nearness and disapproved it, of course. He picked it up and placed it about a mile farther down the trail. Gave us a good chuckle and told us it was very well hidden from muggles, as well as geocachers! :mad:

Another easy way to check is to go to the hide a cache page, enter your coordinates and set a radius of a mile or two. This will return a list of caches and their distance from where you wish to place your cache. :mad:

The one thing to watch out for when you do that are multi's and mystery caches. Both could exist near where you're trying to put your cache and yet if you restict yourself to a mile, neither might show up on your search.

A locacl cacher and myself were both placing multis in the same set of parks (which already included a mystery cache). I set mine up in an effort to stay away from where I thought he was placing his but we both ended up doing some rework before we were through.

I did it the low-tech way. I found all of the caches near me first. Then, when I started looking for locations to place a cache, I knew where the other caches were and could avoid that spot. I also knew where the various parts of multis were.

Doing it that way would also give new cachers some experience before they go out and hide a cache.

RichardMoore

I have a couple of caches ready to hide and have some ideas on where to place them. I know there are guidelines on placing caches too close to others and I am trying to get some places where there aren't any caches already. Is there an easy way to tell before I place one and submit it with the coordinates, if there is already one in the area? Many times the caches have a name that have nothing to do with it's location, ie: "Terry's Treasure" which could in reality be Meadowdale Beach. (Just examples). I have read the caches in the zip code area I live in and I *think* I have picked places that don't already have ones hidden, but is there a easy way to tell for sure? :mad:

Thanks,

Gizmo

The map is a good idea, but you also need to do a coordinate search, once you've decided on the spot. There may be member-only caches or temporarily disabled caches in the area that don't show up on the map. A search will tell you how close your potential cache would be to them, since they will show up on a search list.

The best way that I have found was to load the area caches into my GPSr and go to the proposed area. When in the area that I want to use I mark the waypoint in my GPSr. Now I go to the map function of my GPSr and measure distances from one waypoint to the other. I do not know if this is easily done by all GPSr's but it is a simple function on the RINO120.