I Just Oredered A New Laptop

quills

i've been doing geocaching for about a year now. i have a pda that i use for paerless caching but more and more my job needs me to have a computer. i decided to buy the laptop and i figure since it's mine i can add what i need for geocaching. basically my question is can i skip the need for plucker if i use a cell phone for the wireless connection. i figure i should be able to download with easygps and as long as i use a wireless phone to check the cache page i should be able to make it work.

hankhan i've used a dell laptop @ work for more than a year now with no problems. maybe you got a lemon or something. i work with the internet everyday and haven't had any problems. that was one of the big reasons i chose the dell. i do wired and wireless internet on a daily basis.

Dell seems to be hit and miss on laptops. They make great ones or junk.

I'd use a laptop the same as a desktop though like you were thinking you can use a Cell Phone as a modem and call your ISP and check things while in the field.

For desktop use I like National Geographic Topo. If I was to use a laptop in the field I'd consider using Streets and Trips (which I do use on my PDA). for in town caches. Expert GPS or another program for arial photo's would be cool.

Lastly watcher would probably move up my software list as it's a better version of GPXSonar and GPXview.

If you have a cable modem and no dialup you can use NetZero for free at a basic level. Once I get a laptop I'll probably check this out.

I had a Dell laptop that an employer (State of Kalif) provided. I'd had an IBM thinkpad prior to the Dell and labeling the Dell as a piece of junk would be kind. I hope yours works better than mine did.

I currently have over 15 dell computers and laptops purchased over the last 7 years. Not one has been shipped back to the factory. Only one laptop went back in to get a new cover. We had one person drive her knees into it while slidding across the back seat. It just cracked the hinges, was in the case and Dell replaced it free. They didn't have to. Also remember, you won't get a serial port with that new Dell unless you specify it. Maybe some models still have it but my last one didn't.

murph

Edited by thcri
Also remember, you won't get a serial port with that new Dell unless you specify it. Maybe some models still have it but my last one didn't.

murph

Do any new laptops come with serial ports? Last couple places I was looking the laptops were all USB only. Kinda sucks, because GPS makers seem stuck on serial, and adapters are hit or miss.....sometimes the one I have works great, other times it crashes either the program I'm using, or the whole OS....

Also remember, you won't get a serial port with that new Dell unless you specify it.  Maybe some models still have it but my last one didn't.

murph

Do any new laptops come with serial ports? Last couple places I was looking the laptops were all USB only. Kinda sucks, because GPS makers seem stuck on serial, and adapters are hit or miss.....sometimes the one I have works great, other times it crashes either the program I'm using, or the whole OS....

Get a serial to USB adapter. I picked up an iconcepts adapter at CompUSA for around $29. I installed the driver from the CD, plugged it in to the laptop, and then plugged in the GPS (Map76). The autodetect found it immediately.

Edited by mblitch

Here is what I have on My Dell in order of use

1.Premier Membership to Geocaching.com

2. Install GSAK (export cache points to streets and trips)

3. Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004 (for getting a really good visual of found and not found cache locations. Importing file feom GSAK)

4. a Palm or Pocket PC; Get Cachmate for Palm and GPSSonar for PocketPC

GSAK.

Dude this program is growing like you wouldnt believe. From it beta release its been eliminating all my other programs. It really has and is continuing to have everything you would need. Now if we could just get the Cachmate export added ;) and I would only be using one progam. Also the Learning curve isnt to bad either.

I would be sure to get ExpertGPS.

Agreed. Expert, which does on-demand downloads of all topo and satellite maps is really cool and useful. But if you're going to use it out in the field, you'll need to make sure you have it download all of the maps first (in all the different scales).