Use Of Sd Memory Cards On A Meridian

This is my first post on this forum. I am about to purchase a Magellan Meridian, I think.

My question is this: Can I use several SB Memory cards each with a different Map area on it? Then when I want to go to that area I can just insert the card that has that area.

You might think that I could just easily upload the area from my CD into my Unit. But the problem is that I don't use a Wintel computer. I am a diehard Mac user of so many years. I do have sister-in-law in a neighboring town that has a PC for me to use occasionally but it is not that easily accessible .

Thanks for the opportunity to ask this question.

By the way, I have had a Garmin GPS III+ that i have use for a few years. It has now died so rather than have it repaired I decided to get a new one.

Lonesomedave

You can also put multiple maps on the same SD card and give each one a unique name.

Can you do the multiple maps deal if the firmware is not updated, though? You know, that's thought on how to do a workaround on the size limitations imposed by the Mapsend software. Thanks!

I was going to recommend that Lonesomedave visit the library, but I wonder if they'd have a problem with hooking up the receiver to their computers? :D

You can put mulitple maps on the SD with different names IF you are using 5.12 firmware in the GPS AND you load them into the GPS with Direct Route.

I'm not so sure about the DirectRoute requirement. I have two different maps on my Plat, from Topo, and I have no problem switching between them when I cross the state line. It doesn't happen automatically, unfortunately, but it's not hard to do. In case it matters in some way, I put them there with a card reader rather than through the serial port.

When I load the CD into the PC, does it install any software on the computer?

Good question. Having installed the entire thing on mine, I can't quite remember. There is a "Run" tab on the window which opens when I put the CD in there. I think perhaps you can just run it off the CD...

Now for some questions of my own.

Another question to ponder is "Will they let me hook up a card reader or my Meridian to the machine at the library?".

As far as firmware revisions, I suppose it depends on what type of Meridian you are using, eh? (Green, Gold, Platinum, Color) The latest firmware revision for the Meri-Green that I know about is 4.02. Direct Route? What's that? <_< JK

How do you change the ini, EMTJeepers? Email me through the server, would you? I tried putting 115MB of regions into a 128 and it didn't work until I reduced the number of regions to four.

Also, what would one name multiple maps? DETAIL00, DETAIL01, etc.?

Oh, I seem to recall that there was a way to get the updates to Mapsend if you already have an older version. The version they're shipping now is higher than the one I'm using.

Another question to ponder is "Will they let me hook up a card reader or my Meridian to the machine at the library?".

If the machine is running Windows XP, a card reader/writer can be plugged into an USB port WITHOUT installing any drivers. However, the MapSend software does require installation to the hard drive (it can't be run directly from the CD)

Also, what would one name multiple maps? DETAIL00, DETAIL01, etc.?

I name them after the regions they cover, such as ILLINOIS, WISCONSIN, etc.

Oh, I seem to recall that there was a way to get the updates to Mapsend if you already have an older version.

You do not need the newer version to use a SD card reader/writer. Simply have the software download the map to the GPS, but DO NOT have the GPS attached to the PC. After creating the map, it will error out, saying it cannot communicate with the GPS. Then search in the Magellan MapSend directory for the .img file that was created. Rename it and copy it to your SD card.

Edited by Stunod
Then search in the Magellan MapSend directory for the .img file that was created.  Rename it and copy it to your SD card.

Specifically:

Follow this path. My Computer/Local Disk(C:)/Program Files/Magellan/MapSend[which ever you have]/Export/Images

Any of the .img files in this directory can be renamed. Then simply drag and drop, or copy and paste these to your card reader.

I had seven different maps on each of two SD cards for my last trip. Two 128meg SD cards covered the Western US. Very cool. <_<

edit:spell

Edited by leatherman

Hmm. I thought it had to be named DETAILxx in order for the GPSr to read it. I guess I need to stop reading the manuals... Now to find some inexpensive SD cards! Seems that most of the folks selling on eBay want 2-3x what the shipping actually costs (unlike some of us who only charge ACTUAL shipping). By the time I'd pay shipping, I could just go get same at Wally World... Of course, I already have a 5 state area on my 64MB SD, but who knows, I might need some more coverage! <_<

Oh, any news on how to get the more recent version of Mapsend (specifically TOPO) without having to buy a new copy? Mine is Ver. 3.00a

Thanks to all.

Oh, any news on how to get the more recent version of Mapsend (specifically TOPO) without having to buy a new copy? Mine is Ver. 3.00a

Someone was hosting a copy online, but Magellan made them pull it. I think someone in these forums said you could call Magellan and ask for it...more likely stomp your feet and demand it...and they will send you the update CD.

Edited by Stunod