Ammo Boxes

ADKcachers

They are normally not locked. They have handles on both sides, you could get some steel cable and loop between the handle on the back side and the handle on the latch side with a combo lock. Put the combo in the first stage of a multicache and then let the finders have the coords and the combo.

I suppose you could get a drill and drill through the latch and the side of the ammo can and put a bolt lock through the box or a trigger lock from a revolver (pricey). The problem would be cost and loss of water-resistance.

I have seen them locked by drilling two holes in it. One in the lid and the other on the side (penetrating both the lid and the side), both about 3/8" from the edge. And the lock could be run through the two holes.

Of course, this would work so well for caches because it isn't water proof.

The application I saw it used for was in the military, and the box held special keys. Which only the 'master key holder' had access to.

I saw an unusual ammo box that my brother has. The latch was on the long side instead of the narrow end. There was a small loop in the latch that could take a lock.

If I were to try to add a lock to a regular box, I'd probably drill a hole and put a screw eye on the latch end, lined up with the round hole in the latch, so the screw eye passes through the hole, then I'd put a padlock on it. Hmmmm, maybe I'll head down to the basement give this a try.

I think if you use rubber washers and maybe some marine Goop, you can make the hole pretty watertight.

Edited by briansnat
YEs, but not for a cache, I meant in general.

Oh, well in general I don't lock them :unsure: . I would assume you could cut a slot in the latch and weld tab (eye lit) to the the side under the slot. So after you close latch put a 'regular' padlock threw it and lock it. Then the only way to the open the latch enough to get the can open is by removing the lock (or maybe by breaking something).

Try a firearms show, Im sure someone has figured a better system, course those are likely expensive.

I have seen them for sale with locking hasps added. Cost about another $3.00. They drilled a hole through the box end under the latch. cut a matching slot in the latch, placed an eye bolt into the end and closed the latch over the eye bolt. They then just need to put a pad lock through the eye bolt

I gave it a shot yesterday and it works fine. Used 1/4 " eye bolt, drilled one hole, one size smaller than 1/4 " so the bolt fit very snugly...had to screw it in. Placed a nut on the washer, screwed it all the way to the end of the thread, then a 1/4 " metal washer, then a 1/4" rubber washer (very snug fit, not easy to get on, so I'm sure it will be watertight.

I then screwed the eye bolt into the hole and placed another rubber washer on the inside, followed by a metal one, then the nut. Tightened it well and that was it. Took about 5 minutes. Total cost $1.20 (not including padlock).

5de8a3cf-1927-4c1f-af9a-47cd1c615a48.jpg

5c89f66f-b3bd-463f-ad5e-5eb587eabb8e.jpg

Edited by briansnat
I gave it a shot yesterday and it works fine. Used 1/4 " eye bolt, drilled one hole,  Total cost $1.20 (not including padlock).

5de8a3cf-1927-4c1f-af9a-47cd1c615a48.jpg

good photo of a homemade lock. One note though, if the key for that lock is the kind that has square notches instead of bumps I have a key that can unlock all such type of locks.I know there are others with this key too. This probably wouldn't be a problem for geocaching but these locks are not very secure for other valuables.

Edited by ironman114
Unless you secire the box itself, a plunderer can just walk off with it and open it later.....

If you want a little more security, "booger up" the threads on the inside so it can't be loosened.

Still, security is not that great since 2 minutes with a hacksaw or 10 seconds with a bolt cutter will get u in.

I don't think anybody believes locking a box will keep away thieves (in fact it just may encourage them). I just planted a cache using the box I displayed and the point is for people to find the combo (via several methods) to get in and log the cache. Something like this is the only reason I can think of for having a locked ammo box cache. If someone decides to bring a hacksaw to get in, I'll probably delete their find :huh: .

Edited by briansnat