Gps Gets Slow In The Cold.

subigo

I am just wondering if this is normal. I have an etrex venture and yesterday I was out in about 10 degrees. I am not sure if it has to do with batteries getting cold or what, but it slowed way down. It would take like 2 seconds to switch between screens. It works fine now, I am just wondering if that is bad for it. I couldnt find anything about it in the manual.

I am just wondering if this is normal. I have an etrex venture and yesterday I was out in about 10 degrees. I am not sure if it has to do with batteries getting cold or what, but it slowed way down. It would take like 2 seconds to switch between screens. It works fine now, I am just wondering if that is bad for it. I couldnt find anything about it in the manual.

It is VERY much normal!! I try to keep mine in my coat as much as possible

My Geko's the same, gets a bit sluggish when it's around zero C. Still works though, and I don't see much impact on battery life. My digital camera seems far more affected by cold, the battery life just plummets in the cold, then revives if you warm it up again. A bit annoying since the camera uses a rechargable battery which you can't easily replace in the field, but the GPSr could be revived by cheap replacement batteries.

Quite normal - the screen on your GPS unit it a LCD - liquid crystal display. Like most liquids, they tend to move a bit slower in lower temperatures.

I just got my first GPS on Sunday, so Monday night I took it out in -9F (-20F windchill). I was out walking for about 45 minutes and after about 35 minutes my batteries were near dead. When the unit warmed back up, I had plenty of juice in my batteries again... The moral of the story if to keep the unit in an inside pocket when navigating in cold weather. (And keep spare batteries warm ;-) )

Hey believe it or not the same thing happpened to me down here in Texas (of all places) Me and another cacher set out early for a day of caching and at our first stop I think it was about 31 degrees with a nice cold wind. (Thats phreakin cold for here! :rolleyes: ). I made a 90 degree angle turn and to my surprise my direction arrow didn't follow me until 5 seconds later. I thought it was the LCD display beginning to freeze in place or something (I have a Magellan MG)

Edited by pnew

The good old NiCd accumulators are still the best choice if you have to use batteries at very low temperatures. NiMH and Li-Ion don't like low temperatures.

Some years ago I had to test an repair electronic devices with had to be used at very low temperatures. The battery compartment could be removed and connected by a cable so the user could keep the batteries warm unter his coat. Why not building such a cable and adaptor for your GPSr?

This won't make it faster (as stated by buck09 the LCD gets slow in the cold) but your batteries will last longer.

Actually, the liquid crystal material doesn't really freeze but once below 32°F the alignment of the crystal rods becomes very slow and gets slower as the temp drops even further. This in itself does not cause any damage to the display. The damage occurs when the rate of temperature change is too fast and mechanical damage happens due to expansion/contraction of the glass panes and the bonding material that holds it all together. Equipment with LCD's that are meant to be outside in the cold all the time actually have heating elements attached to the displays to keep them from getting sluggish.