Logging Caches

Tenniskid

You know, the really annoying thing is that the geo-litter mentioned was frequently found. Bings Swings comes to mind. I do know that the Old Shaker Church micro had the same stickers in the log book as it did on the nearby post.

Rather disappointing behavior I thought.

I agree! Remember Trash In Trash Out concept????? The stickering mentioned is definitely littering. We don't need to give land managers,etc more fuel to ban caches. Let's keep the game clean and adhered to the CITO concept.

Edited by evergreenhiker!
I want you to know I shudder at having to say this, but maybe that's going to have to be a new rule added to the cache machine runs.

I agree that it's a shame to even have to mention creating such a rule, but it looks like maybe it is necessary. I'm glad that I didn't see any of the rogue stickers, although I did hear about it happening. I really hope that people don't further compound the issue by logging finds on those caches that they didn't actually find.

Man, and here I was feeling guilty for bushwhacking a short distance to a cache only to find another trail going right to it!

From what I saw, I think maybe people were placing their stickers when they thought they weren't going to find the cache. And, as it turns out, 9 times out of 10, we saw their stickers in the physical log. But that was our experience.

Not a good way to log one's frustration at not finding a cache. But I have met most of the people who did this ( BTW, I've seen this happen around the Seattle area, too. It's not just a CM thing)

If the cache description says you are looking for a decon container, stickering a rock, in our book, does not count as a find. Log your DNFs. How else is the cache owner to know if something is wrong?

BTW, if we added to the confusion by placing a sticker that said "Is this a cache?" on that rock, sorry. But the botom of that rock was covered with stickers and it was the day before the CM. We wondered about it.

Thanks, Team Dazed and Confused (or is that Tennis Kid?) for bringing this up.

Whiplash, BlinkStud and I did 39 of the caches the weekend before the Cache Machine because they couldn' t make it for the actual date because they had a planned ski trip with our church Youth Group.

I assure you we eventually found all of the actual cahes and I placed my sticker in the log book for each cache.

Our intent was to help and encourage cache machiners....here's excerpt from my log on 12/29.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?lu...A-6A8556D86A6D}

12/29 /03 Looks like Moun10Bike & Hazard had the same idea as us…Wasn't sure if we could make it on Saturday. So, I left Graham, WA @ 6:00 am with Whiplash & Blink Stud for Olympia and GEM’s and the Bible Study Boys were off on another Cache Machine. We visited the following 39 caches but not in this order and here is our report. We left a few stickers at a few locations where we were fooled but ended up finding the cache in all but 2 locations, go ahead and remove them when you arrive. Don’t be fooled by our stickered brick you’ll find at one of the caches. I still hope to make it on Saturday to see you all again!

This would account for 3 stickers you may have seen on Rocks and bricks at a few of our toughest finds. If this upset anyone ...we apologize.

Edited by GEM's
Yes, if you're a cache machiner who stickered the rock at Madison Scenic Park, and didn't sticker/sign the logbook in the real cache that was there, I don't think you should count it as a find.

Ditto for Old Shaker Church Micro.

I am guilty of that, sort of. I didn't find the cache, but DID find the rock. I did NOT log the cache, however, because I didn't find it.

I presumed that there was some sort of no-find thing regarding the rock, as there were other stickers on it. I was mistaken, and should not have put the sticker on the rock.

Yes, if you're a cache machiner who stickered the rock at Madison Scenic Park, and didn't sticker/sign the logbook in the real cache that was there, I don't think you should count it as a find.

Ditto for Old Shaker Church Micro.

I am guilty of that, sort of. I didn't find the cache, but DID find the rock. I did NOT log the cache, however, because I didn't find it.

I presumed that there was some sort of no-find thing regarding the rock, as there were other stickers on it. I was mistaken, and should not have put the sticker on the rock.

:) Me too. Sorry. :) We didn't log the finds. When I saw 'Find a new place'. in the cache description at Madison, I thought it was a moving cache, and thought that was part of the cache. Oops! I found the cache at Bing's Swings, so no worries there, and I never got us to the Shaker Church (sorry gang! :rolleyes: ), so no worries there either. Next time we're in the neighbourhood, we'll check 'em out!