Weird Scrolling Behavior

theboonieman

A couple months ago I noticed a strange thing was happening whenever I used the vertical scroll bars in Internet Explorer to view long cache pages on Geocaching.com. Every once in a while, the scroll bar would not let me go back to the top of the page. It would go up a little ways and then stop. As soon I let go of the mouse button, the screen would jump back down to the bottom of the page.

Weird! Has anybody else seen this problem?

It doesn't do it when I use the scroll wheel on the mouse. It only happens when I drag the scroll bar up and down. I noticed this happening on two different computers that I use. Both are running Internet Explore 6.0 and Windows XP Home Edition with all the latest service packs and hotfixes. No special mouse software is loaded.

The Boonie Man

I've experienced the exact same problem, so if theproblem occurs I just use the scroll wheel on the mouse. I am running Windows 2000 Pro Server. And I am not sure if it is just on GC.com but other sites also...sorta random behaviour, and sometimes annoying.

So do you use Pro or Server? ;) I've noticed this odd behavior in the past. I just usually blame it on me fat fingering the touch pad on my notebook.

I think I found the problem. I did some searching on usenet and this is what I've found. If you experienced this then you probably experienced scrolling too far down the page when clicking the area between the scrollbar and the scroll down arrow.

The problem seems to be with patch Q824145 In IE6. You can check the Help About to see if this is installed. There seems to be a fix too, this worked for me.

You can go to add/remove programs and search the list for an entry called Internet explorer Q824145. Go ahead and remove this patch from the list. You will be prompted to reboot so click ok to reboot. Then when you reconnect to the internet, in a little while Windows critical update (if you have this) will prompt you to update. If it doesn't, you can choose update from the Tools pull-down menu. You will need to install KB824145 for IE, which will reinstall patch Q824145 again, but this time it should be fixed. Hope this helps!

Edited by cachew nut