Help With Cachemate

You need to go to the Pocket Query page and download a query that contains the points you want. Then after receiving the file run Cachemate converter and select the file you downloaded. Check the boxes you want converted. The file should transfer to your palm at the next HotSynch. The Pocket Query page is available from the My Cache page.

Actually, there are six simple steps to getting CacheMate set up.

(1) Download the program CacheMate. It's 164 kb so don't blink or you won't see it download.

(2) Place CacheMate.prc into your PDA Install folder.

(3) Synch it.

Now you're ready for waypoints...

If you haven't already, become a paying member of Geocaching. This will allow you to get Pocket Queries. The next three steps are really quick.

(4) Open your GPX or LOC Query and convert it to a XML file. (The coverter for PC's is in the CacheMate folder - Macintosh users must download CMConvert).

(5) Place the converted XML file into your PDA Install folder.

(6) Synch it.

Now when you next open your CacheMate program on your PDA, it will accept the XML file.

Here's a bonus pointer I've found useful in using CM.

If you're working a puzzle cache or otherwise don't want to loose notes you've made on a given cache... change the waypoint by adding a dash and some letter/code. (eg GCGQ42 would become GCGQ42-P for Puzzle on my system). Now, next time you upload a newer pocket query, you won't have your notes (or corrected coordinates) over written.

I hope this all helps. You're really going to enjoy CacheMate.

Edited by Green Achers

Actually, there are three simple steps to getting CacheMate set up.

(1) Download the program CacheMate. It's 164 kb so don't blink or you won't see it download.

(2) Place CacheMate.prc into your PDA Install folder.

(3) Synch it.

Now you're ready for waypoints...

If you haven't already, become a paying member of Geocaching. This will allow you to get Pocket Queries. The next three steps are really quick.

(1) Open your GPX or LOC Query and convert it to a XML file. (The coverter for PC's is in the CacheMate folder - Macintosh users must download CMConvert).

(2) Place the converted XML file into your PDA Install folder.

(3) Synch it.

Now when you next open your CacheMate program on your PDA, it will accept the XML file.

Here's a bonus pointer I've found useful in using CM.

If you're working a puzzle cache or otherwise don't want to loose notes you've made on a given cache... change the waypoint by adding a dash and some letter/code. (eg GCGQ42 would become GCGQ42-P for Puzzle on my system). Now, next time you upload a newer pocket query, you won't have your notes (or corrected coordinates) over written.

I hope this all helps. You're really going to enjoy CacheMate.

I haven't tried it, but I thought that wasn't supposed to happen -or are you not putting your notes under "log" or don't have the merge (append?) option turned on?

If you're working a puzzle cache or otherwise don't want to loose notes you've made on a given cache...

I haven't tried it, but I thought that wasn't supposed to happen -or are you not putting your notes under "log" or don't have the merge (append?) option turned on?

Some puzzle caches have fill-in-the-blank type of things in the description, and sometimes it's easier to change it there than copy the relevant bits to the log notes field. I know I've done that at least once, looking for a cache in my hometown, and I'll bet that's what Green Achers is doing as well.

That actually gives me a rather good idea... a "Tips & Tricks" page for CacheMate on the Smittyware site. Green, mind if I copy that "-P" tip to that page as a starter?

PAPERLESS IS GREAT!! ;) I just DL'ed Cachemate and I love it! Thanks for this app! I had a couple problems getting it set up, but thats because this is my 1st use of a Palm! ( A nice co-cacher helped me thru it, tho!)

I do have one question: When searching for nearest caches using waypoint of a cache, is there an option to only return a set amount of caches, instead of restructuring the entire record list?

I do have one question:  When searching for nearest caches using waypoint of a cache, is there an option to only return a set amount of caches, instead of restructuring the entire record list?

Search filters for max. distance and max. number of records are going into version 3.2. Current plans are to release that version at the beginning of Christmas week. I could release it now, but I'm waiting on any doable feature requests or bug reports that might creep in ;)

Doable features? How about being able to change the color of the cache name so that I can highlight caches I couldn't find and want to go back to or something that I want to make a priority?

I think that is what "bookmarking" is for. Or maybe make a new category to put them in.

Doable features? How about being able to change the color of the cache name so that I can highlight caches I couldn't find and want to go back to or something that I want to make a priority?

Hmm... not bad. See? This is why I'm waiting :huh:

I don't know if a full color selection would be feasible (where would I cram the selection list in the cache details form is the question), but a "highlight" checkbox to display the cache list entry in red or something instead of the normal black would definitely be doable.

And I found a bug. The program doesn't work on my Sony Clie". It worked until I dropped the Clie" after making notes on a cache. The screen shattered and ever since Cachemate doesn't work.

Nothing else was working at that point either, though, was it? I'd call that a Clie bug ;)

I think that is what "bookmarking" is for. Or maybe make a new category to put them in.

This is also true. That's one thing that the bookmarks and/or categories could be used for.

What I might do instead is put the highlight feature on hold. If enough people ask for something like that, I might put it in (much like what got me to add widescreen support to another program of mine). No ballot stuffing, now, you hear? ;)

Edited by Maeglin
And I found a bug. The program doesn't work on my Sony Clie". It worked until I dropped the Clie" after making notes on a cache. The screen shattered and ever since Cachemate doesn't work. :P

Sorry to hear that. Did you try deleting the note to see if maybe that might fix your screen? :huh:;);)

I could release it now, but I'm waiting on any doable feature requests or bug reports that might creep in :huh:

My main thing would be more options and filters for waypoint transfer - such as transfer all bookmarked, not transfer "found" (as selected by the found check box, not the category.) Not to mention some way of selecting icon. ;)

(Oh, I am assuming that the "found" category is just a normal category - that it's not really a filter that only returns founds? Now that would be nice! )

Highlighting would be very nice if you could find a way to do that on the monochrome units. That way I can see what's been bookmarked when I see that item in the list. Actually, if you can think if a way, how about a highlight for found items too? That way I can tell found/marked just by looking at the list. But I'm not sure how you'd do the two types of highlighting for monochrome.

My main thing would be more options and filters for waypoint transfer - such as transfer all bookmarked, not transfer "found" (as selected by the found check box, not the category.)  Not to mention some way of selecting icon.  ;)

Not so sure about a found/not found filtering (one problem is where to cram that in the search filter dialog), but most of the rest of what you're asking for is already on the "to do" or "done for 3.2" lists from another thread :huh:

I agree on the highlighting for monochrome units. One idea might be to use bold for highlighting, but what if you're using that for the list font?

I know that yesterday I said that my only wish had been waypoint transfer to Magellan, and less than three weeks after buying Cachemate, you have delivered that, but I discovered yesterday afternoon that being able to choose the icon that will appear on the Magellan would be usefull. I realise this will be dependant on the model of GPSr, but presently all transfered items appear on the GPSr with an icon I cannot reproduce any other way! I have no idea what it is meant to be!

Some control would be nice. I notice that Magway allows me to do this and it is great benefit as otherwise each waypoint needs to be manipulated on the GPSr.

Much loved as this feature would be, it should not hold up an otherwise ready release.

Being able to choose the icon is also a plugin feature, as opposed to one that would show up in CacheMate ;)

At some point I'll be releasing version 1.1 of both the Garmin and Magellan plugins with icon selection available. The problem in both cases is partly what you said, with the selection and codes being different between models. From there, it's mainly about which list to pick as a start and then mapping to the other lists depending on the model information gained from the GPSr.

What I may do in both cases is start with the most common list of icon codes, and map those down to the less-expansive lists depending on what it's talking to. In the case of Magellan units, where the mapping of icon codes to GPSr models isn't as specific as with Garmin, I may end up what I'm doing now if I can't determine what list to use (leaving the icon blank and letting the GPSr pick its default).

Not so sure about a found/not found filtering (one problem is where to cram that in the search filter dialog)

I can't think of any reason to send only "founds" to a GPS (although I could see someone wanting that for a mapping plugin.) so I think all you need is an "exclude found" checkbox. I wonder if there's a better way to deal with the directional filter entry - maybe a compass/circle that you could highlight parts of?

I agree on the highlighting for monochrome units.  One idea might be to use bold for highlighting, but what if you're using that for the list font?

Invert the list's font? The problem is you have two reasons to highlight, but not sure how many different ways you can do it in monochrome.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting a file coverted for import.

I just downloaded the demo, so I know I can only have 10 records. I opened my PQ in Watcher, selected 7 caches that I wanted, then saved those seven as a new .gpx file. When I try to open that file with CMConvert I get a message:

"CMConvert MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I do want to include some of the 'options' for import, but when I had trouble I tried it with all of them unchecked and still got the same results.

Any suggestions?

FYI, I mainly want to use this as a way to keep a record of my trades. I looked at 'Geocache Log' last night, but is doesn't have fields for trade items. Basically, all I need a a field to identify the cache, a 'Took' field, and a 'Left' field; but, I do think the other options available in CacheMate are very nice.

I just downloaded the demo, so I know I can only have 10 records.  I opened my PQ in Watcher, selected 7 caches that I wanted, then saved those seven as a new .gpx file.  When I try to open that file with CMConvert I get a message:

"CMConvert MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."  I do want to include some of the 'options' for import, but when I had trouble I tried it with all of them unchecked and still got the same results.

This would have to be the first crash report I've heard, as far as CMConvert goes. Did you try loading the original GPX file into CMConvert? Have you tried it on another machine?

If the original GPX file will load without problems, you can select which you want on there before converting. The record limit only applies to CacheMate itself... CMConvert doesn't know about it or even care.

I had first tried the original .gpx file, and at first thought the size was my problem. I don't have another machine to try it on, but I deleted the .gpx, then went back to my e-mail and unzipped it from there again. This time it worked just fine, as did every other modified .gpx file that I created from the original. Not sure what happened, but it seems somehow my .gpx got corrupted, and passed the corruption on to it's 'children'.

Thanks for the suggestions and info.

I had first tried the original .gpx file, and at first thought the size was my problem.  I don't have another machine to try it on, but I deleted the .gpx, then went back to my e-mail and unzipped it from there again.  This time it worked just fine, as did every other modified .gpx file that I created from the original.  Not sure what happened, but it seems somehow my .gpx got corrupted, and passed the corruption on to it's 'children'.

That could have been it (GPX corruption)... hard to say. The evidence certainly likes that theory, though :o

In the CMConvert 1.63 release earlier today, I updated the included Expat library (the XML parser that it uses) to its latest version. The person who maintains that may have fixed something that might cause a crash in that release... haven't studied his release notes too closely, so I don't know for sure.

In the CMConvert 1.63 release earlier today, I updated the included Expat library (the XML parser that it uses) to its latest version. The person who maintains that may have fixed something that might cause a crash in that release... haven't studied his release notes too closely, so I don't know for sure.

I got it pretty early this morning, and after checking, found I have version 1.6.1.0 of CMConvert.

By chance did you try to open the GPX file up in notepad? EasyGPS has a nasty habit of trashing files. If you opened the GPX file up in that, it could easily mess it up.

Notepad: No

EasyGPS: No

I may have opened it in ExpertGPS, though I know enough not to make changes there and save them, then expect it to work.

I know I opened it in Watcher, but only because it's '.gpx friendly'.

I got it pretty early this morning, and after checking, found I have version 1.6.1.0 of CMConvert.

If it's CacheMate that you downloaded this morning, then that does only have 1.61. Updates to CMConvert are released separately (they're on the Product List page of the Smittyware site), and the copy in the CacheMate download is updated when CacheMate itself is updated.

Question:

I'm a Mac user and want to use Cachemate on my Tungsten. I see I need something called CMConvert. After downloading it, it says I need the Expat XML parser library. I'm not sure I understand the whole install process it says is required and what else is required to download. Can someone walk me through this???