New To The U.S.

Kiwi cruiser

Ticks can be a problem in some areas and they can give you all sorts of nasty diseases, so take precations when hunting in tick infested areas. In the South, there are some poisionous snakes and spiders, but I'm sure they don't compare with what you had in Australia.

The cops here tend to stick their noses into anything that might look the least bit suspicious, esp. after 9/11, so don't be surprised if you are hassled while looking for a cache.

If you are placing a cache, be aware of any regulations regarding the land you want to place it on. People here like to make laws and regulations just because they can.

Edited by briansnat
Ticks can be a problem in some areas and they can give you all sorts of nasty diseases, so take precations when hunting in tick infested areas. In the South, there are some poisionous snakes and spiders, but I'm sure they don't compare with what you had in Australia.

How do you know if the area is tick infested???

As for snakes...well...i dont like 'em much..but as you say...aussie kinda prepared me for them...had a run in with a rattler last month..but thats another story...lol

How do you know if there's ticks? Is it warm weather? Will you be walking through trees, grass or other vegetation? Ticks will find you. Wear long trousers and long sleeves, preferably light colors so you can spot the buggers. Use plenty of DEET. Check your bod after your hunt and remove any you find. Make sure you get the head. Then have a couple beers as precaution against infection.

As mentioned above, learn about the few plants that produce rashes and dermal reactions when touched -- i.e. poison oak, poison ivy, nettle, etc. Don't even breathe the smoke from fires where these are burning -- that does real nasty things to the inside of your lungs.

Then there is the usual assortment of spiders, snakes, and other critters. Head to the northern Rockies for a cute, cuddly, and inoffensive creature called a Grizzly Bear. Walk right up and pet it. :rolleyes:

I am sure you noticed we also spell some words 'wrong'.

I shouldn't need to tell you about animals.  No Roos here, but we co have some crocks!

We have crooks too!

Well yes we/you do!....i've already been robbed!...welcome to america huh?....lol

Well, at the risk of starting the anti-gun folks up again, let me say this.

COME TO TEXAS!

Here, qualified individuals are allowed to carry a concealed handgun. I would like to say we have no crime here. That is not true. But dadgum near! El Paso was the 3rd safest city in the USA last year. Texas is overall one of the safest states. The "MASS-SHOOTINGS" predicted just didn't happen. But the predictable decrease in crime did.

Robbery isn't something likely to happen here. :rolleyes:

.had a run in with a rattler last month..but thats another story.

That rattler was nothing compared to what you are used to. Doesn't Australia have something like 8 of the 10 most deadly snakes?

As for those ticks, won't really do any damage until they sink their heads in. If they are crawling on you, just grab 'em off you. If they grab hold, make sure the head comes out with the rest of the tick. Could lead to a bad infection at least. If they suck on you a while, you could end up with Lyne disease or Rocky mountain spotted fever. (at least I think that's what it was called.)

As for the guns, I do think that Texas has the right idea. But as I live in Maryland, it will be a long time before I ever see laws like that.

F_M

Make sure you get the head.  Then have a couple beers as precaution against infection.

A pint of good whiskey works a better than beer. The charcoal residue from the oak aging barrels acts as a bacterial filter in the bloodstream.

Yes, but it should be a Tennessee whiskey like Jack Daniel's especially since he's next door in North Carolina! Up here (elsewhere too?) TGIF restaurant serves great steaks with a Jack Daniel's sauce that's really good. In case you're hungry after caching (just to stay on topic!)

So the feeling im getting is...ALWAYS: wear long pants

wear long shirts

wear good boots

carry a gun

DON'T: Take a dump in the long grass

Go anywhere without lots of

whiskey and/or beer on hand

Worry about snakes...I should be

used to them

Pull the heads off ticks while they're

still attached to you

How am I doin' so far with my "Survival in the U.S. of A." check list?

El Paso was the 3rd safest city in the USA last year.

Wasn't San Jose, CA considered the 'safest' city in that poll? Then just last week several people were shot there?

Yep.... and what a shame too. Kalifornia believes in providing plenty of law-abiding unarmed citizens for the skoff-law armed criminals to have fun with. I know several people who have left Kalifornia and come right here to Texas. And for that very reason. Many of them go through the gun class just as soon as they are elegible.

Maybe Arnold will terminate the criminals. :P

EDIT: My spelling sucks. So does my proff-reading!

Edited by Desert_Warrior

COME TO TEXAS! 

Here, qualified individuals are allowed to carry a concealed handgun.  I would like to say we have no crime here.  That is not true.  But dadgum near!  El Paso was the 3rd safest city in the USA last year.  Texas is overall one of the safest states.  The "MASS-SHOOTINGS" predicted just didn't happen.  But the predictable decrease in crime did.

Robbery isn't something likely to happen here.  :ph34r:

Okay, I'm not saying that he shouldn't go to Texas and I am all for Concealed carry but can an alien (non-U.S. citizen) get a permit? Or did you just mean that with all the permit holders around it is in general safer?

COME TO TEXAS! 

Here, qualified individuals are allowed to carry a concealed handgun.  I would like to say we have no crime here.  That is not true.  But dadgum near!  El Paso was the 3rd safest city in the USA last year.  Texas is overall one of the safest states.  The "MASS-SHOOTINGS" predicted just didn't happen.  But the predictable decrease in crime did.

Robbery isn't something likely to happen here.  :D

Okay, I'm not saying that he shouldn't go to Texas and I am all for Concealed carry but can an alien (non-U.S. citizen) get a permit? Or did you just mean that with all the permit holders around it is in general safer?

The answer to both of your questions is YES!

In any area where concealed weapons are allowed, everyone benefits from the fact that the "bad guys" :( (there you go Criminal! :D ) don't know who is carrying, so they are very careful to select the ones that "look defensless". Darwinism at its best!

My wife is German. She is a German citizen. She carrys a green card. She also carries (not all the time) a Titanium .357 mag. Her background check took a long time because the FBI did a check on her all the way back to her childhood home in Langen. Germany. But once cleared, she was also issued a license. She got the license mostly for the fact that if I need to leave the car to enter a forbidden zone, I can leave the pistol in the car with her and she is not in violation of having a loaded weapon without a license.

We have each had one incident separately where we were glad to have a pistol. We also experienced one event together, where neither of us were carrying, and 3 would-be robbers wanted to take the chance. We just made a withdrawl at a teller machine. As we turned to leave, they approached us and demanded the money. I guaranteed them that the first one in range was going to die as I pulled a combat knife. None of them wanted to be first, and the wife and I beat a very hasty retreat. Now at least one of us carries ALL the time.

So.... your answer is YES! :D