6000 Mile Shortcut?

TEAM 360

There is a pretty complicated formula that takes into account the curvature of earth. I don't know for certain, but believe in my heart that any respectable manufacturer would use this to be more accurate.

This calculation, as fas as I know, assumes the earth is a sphere so you don't get 100% accuracy, but it's pretty good.

victorymike is a pretty up on GPS info, you might try posting on MiGO, I don't think he makes it in here often.

It's probably been addressed before.

Mileage from one point on the globe to the exact opposite location on the other side of the world:

How is it measured when I am using the GPS? Around the surface of the Earth, or straight through the middle (straight line, point-to-point)?

It uses a Great Circle calculation, so yes, it is the distance over the surface.

As Prime Suspect said, it uses the Great Circle path. A route from New York to Paris drawn on a flat map will looked curved, arcing off the coast of Maine, and over Nova Scotia, then arcing back down south of Ireland and Great Britain. If you take a piece of string and stretch it out as tight as it will go between NY and Paris on a world globe, the straight piece of string will follow this same path.

Now, Believe it or not - drawing a Great Circle path between Baltimore, Maryland and Las Vegas, Nevada, if you zoom in on Baltimore, you will notice that the route actually starts out going slightly WNW - even though Las Vegas is very much to the WSW. It boggles the mind! :P

Edited by Neo_Geo