Topo! Mapping Software

Dan-oh

I'm using National Geographic Topo! mapping software on my PC. The California edition comes with 10 CD's, approx 650 M each. It sure is annoying to keep changing CDs when I zoom in or out.

Has anyone had luck copying the contents to their hard drive? Its no longer an issue with my newer 40G drive and it would be worth the 6-7G of storage. I'm not sure exactly how to redirect from the CD to another drive. Is it even possible?

From the http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/ website:

To Install a TOPO! State Series base maps to Your Hard Drive:

Please follow the instructions below to install a TOPO! State Series product to your hard drive. First, insert any CD-ROM you want copied to your hard drive (excepting disc number one) into your CD-ROM drive. View the contents of the CD-ROM via My Computer. Right click on the folder called XX_DOX and hit Copy (for example, CA_DO9 for California disc 9.) Now, hit the Back browse button and navigate back to your C drive. Open up your C drive, open the TOPO! folder you see there, locate the folder called TPO_DATA, right click on it, and hit Paste. Next time you start TOPO! it should not ask you for the CD-ROM. Of course, if you have a multi-CD set, you will have to do this for each CD if you want all of the data on your hard drive.

That is the complicated explanation. In a nutshell, just copy the main folder from each CD into the TPO_DATA directory. It worked fine for me.

Rocket Man

Dan-oh, follow the directions from Rocket Man closely and it will work. I have downloaded the State of North Carolina which has 4 or 5 CDs and I have downloaded all the CDs right to the hard drive. No longer do I have to flip and switch CDs every 15 seconds or so. You will like the program considerably more once you save all those CDs to the hard drive. :)

OT:

Does the NG TOPO display all trail info?

To expand a little on what RK said: yes, the NG website has a section where users can upload and download their trail tracks. This is a big plus in my book; although the existing trail information on the CD is sparse (the Appalachian Trail shows in my area, but not much else), the user database offers good updatability.

Edited by embra