Why Is My Gps So Useless????

AlsidPrime

Well, I've found 8 Cache's... none of them any thanks to my $500 GPS... which has an average accuracy of 200 meters... (ie... I'll be somewhere.. where i know the coordanates.... .my gps will tell me i'm anywhere between.... 95 meters (my best accuracy) ... and 400 Meters... How many places can a tuperware container be in that radius? .. i live around Vancouver B.C. (canada) .... and any help on how to get this sucker working would be much apreciated!

-thanks

My Merigold is so accurate that I usually am standing on top of the cache and looking all around for it. I use the compass screen to lead me in to the cache watching the feet count down. I havnt had any problems with mine. Perhaps you got a bogus reciever that needs to be recalibrated or something. I would contact customer service with your problems and run it by someone there.

Some thoughts - make sure you leave the unit on for a good 5 - 10 minutes once it's locked in. I find my GPS will improve accuracy with time. Probable because it can find more satellites and/or get a more complete almanac from them.

Second, where are you caching? Trees and deep valleys play havoc with GPS signals. Get your unit solidly locked up in a good area and then navigate with the unit on into the target area.

If you haven't already, use rechargeable batteries in you GPS. That way you'll leave it on longer and it can stay locked in. Simply turning on a GPS right when you want to look at it seems to be a recipe for trouble. Much better to leave it on and with rechargeable batteries, you don't care about the power it's using.

I'd also look and see if there's any software updates to the GPS. It happens.

(that's 500 bucks CANADIAN)... yea cheep fake canuck money :D

I honnestly have no idea why it's so bad... I leave it on for around 10 min... before i even look at the thing... it usualy has 4-8 satalites locked on.... and it's still so horribly accurate that i can't even really use it for geocaching... all 8 of my finds have been.... by guessing... it's honnestly makes me Very MAD.... You wouldn't like me when i'm MAD!... blargh!.... does anyone wanna trade my Not working merigold..... for their working merigold ;) lol ......... no? didn't think so... has anyone else had this problem of inacuracy?

Somebody else has already suggested checking the Datum setting but I wondering if you're using the wrong coordinate format. I mean have you got your GPSr set to display in decimal degrees or in another format? To avoid confusion try setting it to UTM and entering the coordinates in that format.

Another check would be to mark a waypoint, walk away a bit and try navigating back to it. If your Merigold is still off 90+ metres after doing this it must be bad.

HA.... man am i "thick skulled" sometimes... How many times was i told to Check if i was on WGS84 not NAD27..... and someone had to baby me through it... jeez...... now here's my delema..... (besides not being able to spell that...)

How the freaken eh, do you change it? .... i feel so useless :rolleyes:

Right....

Menu

Setup

Map Datum

Primary

Wgs84

For the coordinate format....

Menu

Setup

Coord System

Primary

Lat/Lon

DEG/MIN.MMM

Hopefully this helps you. You can go through the same steps for your secondary, choosing secondary instead of primary. It's up to you what you want for that. I use Wgs 84, Min./Sec. Since this is also pretty popular. Good Luck