Gps Map 76 Or Gps Map 76s???

Hi to all.

I am presently using a Garmin GPS 72 non mapping unit. It works perfectly, but no maps.

Next week, I "think" I am going to upgrade to either a Garmin GPS MAP 76 or GARMIN GPS MAP76s. THEY BOTH HAVE THE SAME "AMERICA'S HIGHWAYS" PRELOADED.

I don't think I need the altimiter or the electronic compass, so the only difference between the two is the GPS 76 HAS 8 MB MEMORY AND THE GPS 76s HAS 24 MB.

I am retired and don't travel too much, and am willing to download additional Mapsource METROGUIDE data for the area(s) I am going to visit. My GPS is used mostly for fishing and Geocaching.

MY QUESTIONS ARE, HOW MUCH "METROGUIDE" CAN 8 MB HOLD? WILL IT HOLD HALF A STATE or what???? besides the preloaded maps? DO I REALLY NEED 24 MB??

WHAT TO DO? I'd really appreciate some discussion here ASAP. Please add WHY to your comments and explanations.

Thanks,

seekers8711

Seeker,

I have recently upgraded from a Garmin 12XL to the Map 76s. What I found was that the background maps that came on the GPS were not accurate for my state. In fact it showed me driving THROUGH a river each time I drove to town. I was quite dissapointed until I uploaded the Mapsource maps for this area - WOW what a difference!

I have heard that for some states the normal maps that come with the Map 76 are ok. However, my state has a lot of out-of-the-way areas that have no roads, and the USGA maps here are dated in the 50's with some updates in the mid 60's - nothing better.

I have also purchased the National Geographic map for my state. Those maps can not be loaded onth the GPS but one can load your tracks, routes and waypoints onto that map on your computer. Also you can pring very good maps with all your info on them if you are planning a trip or mapping where you went on a trip.

For me, the S features are nice and I don't regret getting them. I like the map to rotate with my changing directions without having to move. THe built in compass will do that. Also the compass automatically takes into account declination (about 30 degrees here).

I hope to use the altimiter when I do some mountain climbing and maybe to make a contour map of some land I own in another state.

My recommendation? pay the few extra $ and get the S ... or wait till the map 60 S comes out in another month or so.

I know a lot of people are looking to get thte 60 S that already have the 76 S. Maybe you could get a good deal from a fellow geocacher in the garage sale section of the forum!

Good luck :) !

Northern Trekker

North Pole, Alaska

it's a bit hard to generalize here but cities can range from 1 to 8 megabytes in size. which state are you in? i'll check my metroguide and get back to you with megabytes...

and i would definitely wait for the 60cs - i have a 76s and while it's a great gps the monochrome screen is not nearly as easy to read as a colour screen will be. and yes i will be one of those people selling my 76s for a 60 series.

Edited by Vlad
I like the altitude profile graphs that come with the barometric sensor. I'm using a Vista, but the sensor principle is the same. (The profile plot implementation is better on the 76S, though, due to more memory available in that unit.)

Big difference between my 76S and my Vista:

76S is more for boating.

Bigger screen and higher resolution.

Very large circuit board than the vista.

Not just a memory issue between them.

---------------------------------------------------------

You will need an external antenna with the 76 or 76S, because, like

mine it's signal tends to cutout, especially if not held high and vertical.

My 76S will loose signal when im using the electronic compass. The

Meridian Platinum that I had, had a better antenna, and a 3-axis electronic

compass, but the tracklogging was very poor on that unit, also was very

lacking in Trip Info like Elapsed time.

I had the MAP 76 before grabbing the 76S and I am truly happy that I did. I noticed a big difference between the antenna pickup (now I realize that can happen with any unit) but I enjoy having some other features even though I do not use them all the time. Since you fish I thought you might enjoy the high/low tide readout on the 76S. Guess not.

All in all I have been super happy with the 76S and if I can get over moving to a smaller screen, I too will be getting the new 60CS however, I will have to touch one first.

Best of GEO-luck! Dave.