Dnfs

Natureboy44

Hey all,

Just wanted to say that we should remember to take the time to log our "Did Not Finds." While I'm probably as guilty as most in not always logging these in, a recent DNF for one of my caches gave me a head up that my cache had been damaged. In retrospect, I've also found DNFs to be as if not more informative than "I found" logs in helping me validate the difficulty ratings I've given my caches. My thanks to all of you who take the time.

No worries - I've been logging enough DNF's lately to provide hours of entertaining reading!

Seriously though, good suggestion. it's funny how many FOUND logs are written and how few DNF's. I sometimes enjoy writing the DNF logs more than the finds (although maybe it's just because I get so much practice writing them!). ;)

Just curious - is it more proper to edit an original DNF entry adding below it, or is it more common to simply add an entirely new DNF posting to it? I've had a few caches that took numrous trips but never really figured out how I should log them...

I add a DNF or a Found for each trip I go to a cache and get out of the car.

My father-in-law and I went out the day after Thanksgiving to find some caches near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Temperature starting out was 42 F, sky clear, future looked bright! Our first stop was for a new cache (placed 11/20/03) in an arboretum on the grounds of a community college--how hard can that be? After 30 minutes of searching amidst briars, mud, and an incessantly barking dog we gave up. By this time it was near freezing and a few flakes of snow had started to fall. On the way back to the car I noticed that the coords both ended in "0" and wondered if the placers had inadvertantly used the wrong format. Converted the coords (e.g., 30.300 converted to 30.500) and found ourselves in.....an arboretum! By this time using the hint was a necessity (or how were we to get to the other 8 caches we had planned); it mentioned a grindstone--we found 2--neither with a cache! Crap! We gave up again. Logged a DNF. Emailed the placer. Found out it had been removed until this Sunday! Arggh!!!

By the way, my f-i-l and I still enjoyed the hunt! We had one other DNF that day, but at 25 F and snowing we didn't actually look too hard/long for a micro hidden on the side of a muddy hill. We did get 3 more finds that day, and then had to endure an hour drive along the Parkway in blinding snow; the entrance gates had actually been closed when we got there. (Fortunately, we were able to use the exit gates!)

Sorry about the length of this post; I log DNFs if I actually search for any length of time and don't find it. If I drive up to the general area and decide to not search (due to time of day, presence of non-cachers, weather, etc.) no DNF is logged.

And as a placer of caches I appreciate the DNFs as a warning of a possible problem.

OzGuff

We post a DNF or a Found for every serious attempt we make on a cache. (If we aren't able to search for the cache, it's not a serious attempt.)

No embarrasment -- we've been able to help the owners resolve problems twice by posting DNFs.

If we find the cache later, we erase the DNF.

I never erase the DNF.

I just post the find, sometimes referring to the DNF.

Just curious - is it more proper to edit an original DNF entry adding below it, or is it more common to simply add an entirely new DNF posting to it? I've had a few caches that took numrous trips but never really figured out how I should log them...

I usually leave it there so that this way it shows that I was there more than 1 time :)

JMB

the DNF we logged the other day prompted people to email us little hints. we used some of the hints and went back to find it. that footbridge cache is hidden so well, but yet so obvious. makes you wonder why when you look so hard, you don't see what is really there. great hide.

we always log the DNFs, and this log paid off big.

robbie

I know of a certain thick cache near me where each and every one of the several DNF logs have been very telling and are serving a good purpose.

Some of the "Note" logs also make for very interesting reading. Since I don't log finds or not-founds on my reviewer account, I write notes when I need to get into the thick of things.

Just wanted to say that we should remember to take the time to log our "Did Not Finds."

A very excellent reminder.

I know of a certain thick cache near me where each and every one of the several DNF logs have been very telling and are serving a good purpose.

yea...the DNFs for that are quite thick aren't they...

Edited by Ce'Nedra

Today we went for a hike and a single cache. We had a very enjoyable DNF/hike.

Our biggest disappointment to date is a quick easy find on a north Jersey cache that had a difficulty/terrain rating of 3.5/4.5.

We are far happier with a good DNF than a camouflaged 3.5/2 or a legitimate “Lameo”.