Jeremy I think you are a jerk

Mopar:

There is a lot of background work that went into that. Including contacting the other cache owner and attempting to work with him over a couple of weeks.

The first thread did hit the forums quick but no names or caches were mentioned.

After the owner contact failed to gain any result we did the contact@geocaching.com thing. That was a two or three week wait for a response before the next topic that named names and caches.

There was nothing instant about any of that entire debate.

Alot of time elapsed. And maybe the Lebrechauns have it. I'm discussing the other thread.

My entire take is that there should of been some kind of officail response somewhere in the process. That was a strech for being on topic here though.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

It would seem that, based on the posts to this discussion, the cache in question *may* have had merit and - possibly - stood a chance of having its archive status reconsidered. It would also seem clear that, if getting the status of the cache reconsidered was the aim of this exercise, the owner could (should) have used a more tactful approach to bring that about. Rather than the rant that appears at the head of this forum, would it have been so difficult to simply post a 'Should this cache have been archived?' poll where the question (less the emotional hyperbole) could be posed and discussed? Were the results of such a poll to be in the cache's favour (as they might very well have been), the owner would probably have found himself with much better footing on which to make his case to TPTB.

Typing with your fingers is *always* more effective than typing with your fists.

First, Jeremy seems to spend a lot of his time making sure that the rest of us have fun - instead of whimpering about your perceived misfortune, try communicating with him rationally. If it is true that you don't pass that way very often, then I would doubt the wisdom of sropping off a cache without fairly constant supervision.

Secondly, while the purpose of this game is for us to have fun looking for your caches, it is not so much an ego gratification game for the cache placers. I do enjoy hearing positive comments from those who find my caches, but I'm just as happy when they merely sign the log and keep on going.

There must be some other reason for your cache being archived - I have a set of four caches in reasonably close proximity to each other, but they provide a "4-pack" of finds of varying difficulty for one long drive into the park. Make sure of the diversity fo your caches and I'm sure that you will have no further problems. In the meantime consider who's maintaining the site and therefore most of the game for you.

My 2 Cents Worth .....

1. The title of this post is inappropriate and unnecessary.

2. Lazyboy & Mitey Mite should have tried to work this out with the site admins via e-mail before posting here.

3. If Lazyboy & Mitey Mite had a previously approved cache in the same location, there is no reason why this cache should not be approved, although it is not clear if the previous cache was theirs.

4. The cache seems to fall within the GC.com guidelines, so if Lazyboy & Mitey Mite had taken the time to satisfactorily explain that they could adequately maintain the cache, it probably would have been approved.

5. I don’t think that the fact that someone has not found any caches in the area is necessarily proof that they can’t maintain a cache in that area and it alone is not a valid reason for disapproval.

6. Lazyboy & Mitey Mite are experienced enough geocachers to know that caches can be unachieved by the admins, so I think they got a little overexcited about this whole thing.

7. I can’t believe that someone who has 480 finds and 70 hides would quit geocaching over something as insignificant as this. I think you have gotten your moneys worth out of this site, particularly since it has cost you nothing. You should appreciate all that you have gotten for nothing and move on.

RM

Agreed. The title of this thread is not appropriate. That's not a**kissing either, it's just pointing out the fact that no one started making it personal until the original post of this conversation. A more appropriate title would be "I think you are wrong".

When the cache got archived, Jeremy didn't personally attack YOU.

Move it, and resubmit it, or explain in a letter to Admin how you can maintain it and see what happens then. Big deal. The sun will still rise tomorrow, believe it or not. Next!

OK couple of comments here to clarify a couple of points, and yes, after a nights sleep I still think Jeremy is a jerk.

First of all there was no communication other than archiving my cache. It was approved 3 days earlier by Hemlock and archived much later by Jeremy. A cacher had placed a cache northbound on I-5 about .20 miles away but several miles by vehicle.

This is a replacement cache. The original I Hate I-5 cache was plundered and I decided to place a new one in the same rest stop. It was approved, online for 3 days and then archived by his majesty.

It would be easy enough to unarchive the old original cache but I felt that a new one would be better for all.

The comments I most laughed at here was the ones making fun of reststop caches or caches that only require a few steps to reach. As if such a cache was unworthy.

Did you notice that I made mention of how a handicaped person may have to have assistance to reach the cache? I have placed several caches that handicap people can reach. In the past I made them virtuals but since the Lord has deemed virtuals unworthly I have made efforts to place a couple of traditional caches that are handicap accessable.

I did not bother to kiss Jeremy's butt in emails on this one. I know very well how he handles things. That would have been a waste of time but then again, so is this thread. Still I had an urge to vent and vent I did.

Oh and by the way I have also placed caches that the average cacher would most likely not be able to reach. I have enjoyed all aspects of this hobby from virtuals, locationless and traditionals. The only thing I have not enjoyed is dealing with our Lord here.

Yes there are a couple of other sites that I could join as has been mentioned. They are dead right now, but geocaching.com was dead just 3 years ago. Don't count anyone out.

Nice solution though, if I don't like it just leave. Love it or leave it right?

I think that if Jeremy continues as he has riding his high horse that he will kill this website as though it were intentional. He has the people skills of me or Saddem.

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful

[edit: fixing all of my grammer mistakes icon_smile.gif]I happen to agree with Lb&mm to an extent. Quite honestly I'm very sick of hearing "its his site and he can do what he wants with it, and if you don't like it go somewhere else" That is about as lame as you can get when it comes to kissing that @$$. Not to mention that its very true but the fact of the matter is that if it weren't for us this site would be nothing just like the others. I have spent fair amounts of money and time here for a reason. Thats fine, I don't ask where my money is going or what is being done with it (I have an idea) The fact of the matter is that we are the customers here and we should be served like such. It would also be nice to have answers about things. Do we diserve them? I don't know or care for that matter but man it would be nice to say we are cracking down on virtuals because..... or we are putting a stop to locationless for the reason of..... We don't get those answers and there is no good reason for that. We have a right to know why things happen the way they do and the answer is NOT "if you don't like it leave" Thats a lame @$$ answer for an unknown answer. Pipe up and let the public know wtf is going on and things won't spill into the forums all of the time. It took quite a while to build up this empire and I don't think it would take long to destroy it. Do I think that would ever happen? NO and the reason is because too many people are ok with the answer of "thats just the way it is". I know that a lot of people here have been out of work which has afforded them a lot of time to cache. Have you wondered why you were fired of layed off? or did you just say oh well thats just the way it is and continue to be a lemming and follow everyone else and continue to be walked on?

Was it right to vent here? Probably not but there has been a lot of BS going on here lately and everyone here with half a brain knows it but the very few choose to comment on it. Thats fine because thats the way it is and if you don't like it leave and nothing will ever change for the good and you can continue to be bullied on the playground just like in 1st grade.

Ok, I'm off to post a bogus cache.....

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

This topic does not deserve the dignity of a response.

These forums started over 2 years ago with the sole purpose to provide positive discourse on all subjects around geocaching.

What these forums were not designed for was to provide a platform to insult other users of the forums, the admins, or myself. This is not positive discourse, but an abuse of the priveleges you have to use the services of this site.

Counterproductive behavior that works against the intent of these forums (and web site) will no longer be tolerated. It's fine to debate issues but once it goes into personal attacks it is no longer accceptable.

Yes, you have the right to debate topics, but when you decide to lower yourself to personal attacks you will be warned. The next time you will lose your right to post to the forums.

You're right, umc, there has been a lot of BS in the forums lately and it's time that it stopped.

Closing this thread.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™