what about a cache page that "talks" to you

I have a third party sofware, Voice Flux, that reads web pages to me. Aftrer all us illiterates like to cache too. icon_razz.gif

If you want to just record your voice reading the description, there are a few programs that will let you record Cool Edit has a 30 day free trial you can use, just talk into your Microphone while ti records. Then on your cache page you will have to include the html <Embed Src="soundfile location.wav" autostart=true></EMBED>

not sure about auto start been awhile since I put sound on a page. head to hwg.org and you can search for the proper code unless someone else posts it here.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

Let me be the first to make a suggestion that I'm sure will be backed by many.

PLEASE don't make the audio auto-start. Many people (like myself) have music playing on the computer while surfing and auto-starting audio hijacks the speakers.

Likwise, many people don't even realize that they have their speakers on and then get a blaring audio stream out of the blue.

It's much more polite/considerate to have a link on the page for the audio stream.

I for one would gladly click on the link to start the audio as I agree that an audio description would be very cool. The emphasis and tone of the description could add a lot to the cache description (especially if it's a spooky or Halloween one like this)!

Of course opinions on this may vary but I've always seen the majority of people against auto-loading audio (I work in the Internet industry - ok, I'm laid off right now but that's a whole other thread!)

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Better yet, how about a cache that talks to you, or plays music when you open the lid? Easy enough to rig up, run it off a 9-volt with a switch on the door...

Sure, that won't give the bomb squad ANY qualms when they x-ray it....LOL, LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

quote:

Better yet, how about a cache that talks to you, or plays music when you open the lid? Easy enough to rig up, run it off a 9-volt with a switch on the door...

Sure, that won't give the bomb squad ANY qualms when they x-ray it....LOL, LOL.

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

LMAO! OOPS! HAHAHAHA! Explain THAT one while you've got the cuffs on....

For another twist on combining audio with a cache, check out this multicache in Ohio, which takes you on a tour of the hider's hometown. At the first stage you pick up an audio cassette or CD which you listen to while you are driving around to the virtual locations. Then you find a treasure box at the end, and return the audio. A really cool concept and a much better experience than 5 separate virtual caches, IMHO.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:

I spent about ten hours creating a micro that does exactly that. I handmade the switch from a spam can and a safety pin, crafting and soldering it to the circuit board that I ground round with a bench sander after determing that there were no traces in the PCB in those corners.

And to the original question, please make this optional so that folks running from PDAs or (gasp) paper can still find the cache...

I would never hear it unless as someone suggested you make a link to it or something so it can be listened to voluntarily. I absolutely hate audio that jumps out at you from web pages, so I keep my speakers turned off when surfing. I only turn them on to voluntarily listen to something.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

One of my caches, Jingle Bell Rock, (WARNING: music will play when you open the link! icon_wink.gif) is wired up so that not only music will play when you open the lid, but there were lights in the tree which the cache was hiding under that would light up as well.

That worked well until some rabbit hunter tried to steal the cache and yanked them clean away. Fortunately a geocacher was enroute to finding the cache and recovered it...

- - - - -

You'd have to be an idiot to click here!

there is an attribute to the Embed tag

<EMBED src="soundfile.wav" autostart=false smallconsole></EMBED>

you can also use cosole, but it is large, the small gives play pause and stop.

(all this is off memory so you may want to double check the coding. Agn as posted above HWG.org has great resources for reference.)

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.