Strictly Internet Caches ?

Kanto

Hello,

Has anyone made any "NETCaches" that are found at any sites out there on the net? I think examples might be like images, quotes, stories, jokes, etc. I know in the FAQs, there were Web-Cameras mentioned, but that was only a link from a real Cache-location, but not a NET-Cache.

Thanks.

Kanto

"If you know about truth, tell me of it. If not, then I will search with you, together, in order to find it."-Grandmaster Simon

templelogo.gif

Temple Kung Fu

And its also an example of an old cache that would never be approved today. How is looking up something online a geocache? A geocache is something or someplace we go out and find using a gps. Go read the guidelines for reporting a cache and see if you think looking up a joke on the internet will get approved as a cache.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

HI,

You're right. This is why I asked about NETCache and I did not use the term GeoCache, specifically, in part, for the reasons you stated, and mainly, for the reason that NETCache iherently implies that you'll find it on the NET.

As far as being a practical thing, and being accepted. It may not have much chance, as you say...but I think the NETCaches may only be restricted to puzzle-type Caches. Also, if someone just loves the idea of treasure hunting, who is somehow physically not able to go and do it...the NETCache may be a good thing for those people. Perhaps it will be yet another distraction at work...although these message boards take less time to zip through, at work you may claim to be researching, when you're really NETCaching...???

Just how probable is it?

Also, the Prefix "GEO" means: "Of the Earth" or "Representing the Earth". Therefore, if the Internet indeed is a Network, a GRID, that spans the globe, then are there some other reasons why a NETCache cannot be classified as a type of GEOCache?

Worry not, it's just a thought. icon_smile.gif

Thanks.

Kanto

templelogo.gif

Temple Kung Fu

"If you know about truth, tell me of it. If not, then I will search with you, together, in order to find it."

-Grandmaster Simon

quote:
Originally posted by Kanto:

HI,

You're right. This is why I asked about NETCache and I did not use the term GeoCache, NETCache iherently implies that you'll find it on the NET.

No. Why? Cause geocaching requires coordinates. What you describe doesn't seem to require coordinates, actually it sounds like homework.

quote:
Also, the Prefix "GEO" means: "Of the Earth" or "Representing the Earth". Therefore, if the Internet indeed is a Network, a GRID, that spans the globe, then are there some other reasons why a NETCache cannot be classified as a type of GEOCache?

The internet is not a grid. If you drew it as a network on paper i'm guessing it would look like a big ol' tumbleweed encompassing the earth.

I think the whole thing behind geocaching is to leave the house, go for a walk, a climb, or a hike. At least even virtuals require you to leave the house. Any one can sit at home and log a load of "netcaches" but what have they really accomplished?

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

As I understood it, the question Kanto asked was "has anyone made any NETCaches..."

The answer is "yes," and at least one active cache fitting the "NETCache" description is listed on this website.

quote:
And its also an example of an old cache that would never be approved today.

Is it your contention that "grandfathered" caches that don't meet the current guidelines should be archived?

Excellent suggestion. I agree. Let's run the idea up the flagpole and see how many salute.

[This message was edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox on July 14, 2003 at 01:14 AM.]

Hello,

Points taken for those who CAN leave the computer and go for a hike.

Still, there are those who cannot...perhaps if those house-bound people receive newspapers or magazines, there can be Caches or Virtualcaches hidden in those publications...?

And is this thread enough to "run in up the flagpole" or is there some other way, (other than a poll) here on the site to that?

Thanks.

Kanto

templelogo.gif

Temple Kung Fu

"If you know about truth, tell me of it. If not, then I will search with you, together, in order to find it."

-Grandmaster Simon

quote:

Points taken for those who CAN leave the computer and go for a hike.

No offense meant to anyone who is so afflicted, but that's just not what geocaching is. You can't geocache without leaving your house any more than you can take a hike or drive a car without leaving your house.

I'd like to run a marathon, but I can barely trot 100 yards without wheezing. Maybe we could broaden the definiton of "running a marathon" to encompass something I can do.

The intention is noble, and many cachers have gone to great lengths to make sure people with disablilities can participate in geocaching. But at some point, it's just not the same game.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

quote:
And its also an example of an old cache that would never be approved today.

Is it your contention that "grandfathered" caches that don't meet the current guidelines should be archived?

Excellent suggestion. I agree. Let's run the idea up the flagpole and see how many salute.

Well, since the whole idea of a sockpuppet is to try and start doot, I guess you're just trying to do your job, but you didn't do it very well. Nowhere did I say that older caches that don't meet current guidelines should be hunted down and archived.

There is nothing beween the lines on your screen. There are lots of caches out there that do not meet the current guidelines. Some pretty lame ones. I've got a virtual fairly close to me of a big rock. It's not some scientific or historic marvel. Geoarge Washington didn't sleep there. It's just a rock. (hopefully) a cache like that would never get approved today either, but you don't see me posting an archive note on it either.

Dragging up a 2yr old cache that no longer meets guidelines to use as an example for submitting new caches today is pretty iresponsible for an experienced cacher, and even for an experienced sockpuppet.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

Still, there are those who cannot...perhaps if those house-bound people receive newspapers or magazines, there can be Caches or Virtualcaches hidden in those publications...?

Everyone in the world can't do everything. If you want to hunt for something in a magazine then do a word search. But they don't need to count as a geocache find.

Early in geocaching.com the idea of what a geocache was evloved and certain types of caches developed. Some have lasted and some have been determined not to fit.

If it is to be listed on www.geocaching.com then it has to reach a certain basic level of a cache. A container, a log, and a set of coords. Virtuals are discouraged, and last I heard, locationless were on hold.

www.geocaching.com is NOT the old place you can list a cache. There are other websites. Submit the idea there OR start your own.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Well, since the whole idea of a sockpuppet is to try and start doot, I guess you're just trying to do your job, but you didn't do it very well.

Just one second, friend. In order to properly identify the person wanting "to start doot," all you need to do is look straight into a mirror.

Let's check the facts, and then you can return to your fit: The person who originated the thread asked a simple question. I provided an answer I believed to be accurate, with no additonal comment.

You responded with an inappropriate, off topic rant (Kanto had not asked about creating a "NetCache"); much like the last sentence of your latest post.

Please note that at no time did I advocate the creation of new "NetCaches." That was not part of Kanto's original question. As a matter of fact, I do not support the idea of "NetCaches."

[This message was edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox on July 14, 2003 at 09:52 AM.]

quote:

...As far as being a practical thing, and being accepted. It may not have much chance, as you say...but I think the NETCaches may only be restricted to puzzle-type Caches. Also, if someone just loves the idea of treasure hunting, who is somehow physically not able to go and do it...the NETCache may be a good thing for those people. Perhaps it will be yet another distraction at work...although these message boards take less time to zip through, at work you may claim to be researching, when you're really NETCaching...???

Just how probable is it?...

I think it is an interesting idea.

I would not support the idea of 'Netcaches' being added to the GC.com site, but I don't think the idea of them is without value. In fact, researching and tracking down these may be quite entertaining for many. It also may help some of us become more internet savvy.

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

You responded with an inappropriate, off topic rant (Kanto had not asked about creating a "NetCache"); much like the last sentence of your latest post.

Sorry, Scott. Not gonna argue with someone who hides behind sockpuppet accounts.

[This message was edited by Mopar on July 14, 2003 at 10:48 AM.]

Someone posted something about Letterboxes...

...and I've found the thing that relates to this topic thread.

Virtual Letterboxes = "NETCaches"

NOTE: After going to the link, read down to the second paragraph of the section titled: "Should I Carve, Comission..."

Thanks.

Kanto

templelogo.gif

Temple Kung Fu

-Grandmaster Simon

quote:

Someone posted something about Letterboxes...

...and I've found the thing that relates to this topic thread.

http://www.letterboxing.org/faq/faq.html#008

NOTE: After going to the link, read down to the second paragraph of the section titled: "Should I Carve, Comission..."

There ya go, looks like you found the place they exist, and the place to post NEW ones.

quote:
Originally posted by Ce'Nedra:

<snip>

quote:

The internet is not a grid. If you drew it as a network on paper i'm guessing it would look like a big ol' tumbleweed encompassing the earth.

<snip>

Actually, at one time it looked like this:

isp-ss.gif

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Maybe you can start Geocaching on http://www.ultimaonline.com/ or http://everquest.station.sony.com/. Though this is not a new concept (Virtual Letterboxes a good example, http://www.eeggs.com/ in software another).

I agree that geocaches by definition require you to go outside to be involved in the activity.

Nice idea, old idea, wrong web site.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I thought about what it would be like to "mod" something like Quake or using a quake-like engine to make a virtual geocaching game. The draw to me would be being able to do caches in places I will not (or could not) visit. Adding (or requiring) an interface to a bike or treadmill would still allow me to get the exercise too. However, I don't believe you would want to have "virtual caches" that mirror real caches as the cache owners might not like the fact that people could find them online. Likewise, people could not log them so they should not be allowed to post a find for a real cache. Still makes you wonder.....

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Nice idea, old idea, wrong web site.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Try typing web treasure hunt or internet treasure hunt in Google. You'll find several sites that already do this. Most look like they are pedantic devices to teach kids how to find information on the internet.

In geocaching - "you are the search engine". in netcaching - "you know how to use a search engine." frog.gif

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?