The New Pack

umc

I went out today and got a new pack for doing anything with. I didn't like what I saw in the way of day packs at REI so I went and looked at their CamelBak selection and found this TransAlp pack which I felt would suit my needs perfectly. I don't know that I will be putting a bike helmet or shoes in there but you never know. For know I will use it for GeoCaching and rock climbing and anything in between. I already had a mule which I totally love and use all the time when moutain biking but I wanted something bigger which I could use more as a pack and if need be a water source, its a nice addition to have.

Well thats all I just wanted to show off my new pack and let everyone know that CamelBak makes some nice quality products.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

This is just my excitment coming through because I haven't had a chance to show it off to anyone yet seeing how I got in on my lunch. I figured I would show it off here first because I know I am going to get my butt kicked by my wife when I get home. I'm sure she won't want me showing it to her. How do I get around that one? Tell her I got it for her?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Not that i want to piss on your parade, got one of those in Korea for a Jackson. ($20)

Sorry icon_frown.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Not that i want to piss on your parade, got one of those in Korea for a Jackson. ($20)

Sorry icon_frown.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Sorry icon_frown.gif

Thanks for pissing all over my parade man Now I'm pissed icon_mad.gif dadgum its getting wet in here.

J/K icon_smile.gif

Thats awesome, how do you like it? and How did you get it for so cheap?

also

I'm pretty sure I could get a 30 pack in the backpack itself and I can tell you for sure that I can get 8 beers in the drinking pouch thingy. Its 100oz

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

Sorry icon_frown.gif

Thanks for pissing all over my parade man Now I'm pissed icon_mad.gif dadgum its getting wet in here.

J/K icon_smile.gif

Thats awesome, how do you like it? and How did you get it for so cheap?

also

I'm pretty sure I could get a 30 pack in the backpack itself and I can tell you for sure that I can get 8 beers in the drinking pouch thingy. Its 100oz

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Guys, that looks like a great pack. I've been looking for a good daypack for a long time.

I know Camelbak products are usually quite good, and this looks like no exception.

My question, and this why I don't like backpacks... is how well put does it stay when you are moving around? Does is have a waist belt or a sternum clip? I've found too many packs that ride really high, and if I loosen then, they shift around.

Also does it contain a compartment large enough that I might, say, put a notebook in it without squashing it?

$120 is some pretty good money for me... but I find myself constantly wishing I had something to carry my light gear in.

Maybe this is the one for me.

Jamie

I like it a lot. I recently upgraded to a Peak Bagger (had to pay full price though) to carry more crap. It’s sort of my “man purse".

I got the transalp while I was on a mission through Osan AB in Korea. We had 3+15 ground time so we gassed up the jet, shut down the power, and ran downtown for some power shopping. I asked in six or seven shops for a camelbak but they kept saying “you want camera bag?”. Was about to give up because we had to get back to the plane and in the last shop a Korean gentleman who spoke perfect English showed me that one. Said his brother worked at the factory. I tried to talk him down to $15 but he wouldn’t budge. If it’s any consolation, it didn’t come with the bladder.

I love camelbaks but they price them as though they sewed them with gold thread.

Mine didn't come with the sternum strap, I added it later.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

To follow up for Jamie, the transalp is a biking pack I believe. Mine didn’t come with any literature so I’m guessing. There’s an outer mesh pocket for your helmet and two side pockets for shoes. I use them for a water bottle. I hate trying to keep that bladder clean.

There’s plenty of room for notebooks and related gear. I’ll sell ya mine for $50 (no bladder though) ;-)

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Guys, that looks like a great pack. I've been looking for a good daypack for a long time.

I know Camelbak products are usually quite good, and this looks like no exception.

My question, and this why I don't like backpacks... is how well put does it stay when you are moving around? Does is have a waist belt or a sternum clip? I've found too many packs that ride really high, and if I loosen then, they shift around.

Also does it contain a compartment large enough that I might, say, put a notebook in it without squashing it?

$120 is some pretty good money for me... but I find myself constantly wishing I had something to carry my light gear in.

Maybe this is the one for me.

Jamie

The Transalp is a biking pack but thats not why I got it. It is only 60 cubic inches less than the Peak Bagger which I think is ugly and less functional than this transalp. I bought it from REI so if I don't like it or have a problem with it in a year from now I can exchange it or get my money back very easily.

Jamie, it has a nice waist strap along with a sternum strap/clip and you could fit a notebook along with a bunch of books. Since I just got it I can't comment on its performance but I know it will fit all my needs. I really love the idea that if comes with a built in attached rainfly and is expandable. I love camelbaks and am a junkie also but I don't plan on using the water function with this one too often but I like the idea that I have it. It is the best day pack that rei had to offer and will work perfectly for geocaching or anything else that I decide to do.

If you want to know more Let me know I will take pics or whatever if you want.

umc

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

Rainfly?!?

I didn't get one of those either.... icon_eek.gif

Heck yeah man. Its built into a little zipper at the back/bottom of the pack. It is yellow and is attached by a elastic band but has elastic all the way around it so that it conforms to the pack. I think its a great idea and am sure I will use it at some point.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

Rainfly?!?

I didn't get one of those either.... icon_eek.gif

Heck yeah man. Its built into a little zipper at the back/bottom of the pack. It is yellow and is attached by a elastic band but has elastic all the way around it so that it conforms to the pack. I think its a great idea and am sure I will use it at some point.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

yeah, I didn't know I was looking until I found this pack then I "just had to have it" so I made that happen. I brought the pack into the house like it belonged there and the wife didn't say a thing. Personally I don't think she even realized it sitting there out in the open in all its glory. Funny because I was worried. I'm sure she will get me at some point and I will be trying to figure out the the heck to say.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I just picked up this pack

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11278422&parent_category_rn=4500510

after my 15 year old LL Bean day pack's zippers started to degrade suddenly after many hundreds of trail miles and many thousands of air miles.

I also seriously considered this one: http://www.ospreypacks.com/helios26.html

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

All this talk has just reminded me that I plan to get a pack for an upcoming trip this summer.

I'll be going to Costa Rica to study Spanish, and I plan to stay for an extra three weeks or a month after classes are over.

I've seen the typical internation traveling college student with the army surplus internal frame backpacks, and that's pretty much what I planned to do as well. I'd also like a smaller pack with me to use as a daypack. The CamelBaks look like they'd do a good job.

On that note... are there any hiking packs out there with some sort of built-in daypack? That is, the daypack serves as a compartment on the big pack, but then unhooks and becomes a small daypack.

UMC, thanks for the detailed description. It really sounds like what I'm looking for. Too bad there aren't any good outdoors stores around here where I can check one out.

Maybe this question deserves another thread...

Jamie

Camel-bak does make some real good packs but they have one huge drawback - the bladder itself. It's made of pvc and it imparts a nasty rubber taste to the water. They're also hard to dry out unless you have some sort of insert to hold it open while it dries. For that reason I prefer packs that are "hydration compatible" because they allow you to purchase your own bladder and install it. And for that I recommend the Platypus line of bags and bladders. They correct all of the Camelbak bladder's shortcomings. And they're cheaper to boot!

By the way, packs are cool and I like discussing them but c'mon! How often do you really need a full-blown day pack to cruise the local park and nab a cache? I think for most people and most caches a photographer-type vest would be a better way to go. icon_wink.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

[This message was edited by Geo Quest on September 20, 2002 at 08:32 PM.]

Camel-bak does make some real good packs but they have one huge drawback - the bladder itself. It's made of pvc and it imparts a nasty rubber taste to the water. They're also hard to dry out unless you have some sort of insert to hold it open while it dries. For that reason I prefer packs that are "hydration compatible" because they allow you to purchase your own bladder and install it. And for that I recommend the Platypus line of bags and bladders. They correct all of the Camelbak bladder's shortcomings. And they're cheaper to boot!

By the way, packs are cool and I like discussing them but c'mon! How often do you really need a full-blown day pack to cruise the local park and nab a cache? I think for most people and most caches a photographer-type vest would be a better way to go. icon_wink.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

On that note... are there any hiking packs out there with some sort of built-in daypack? That is, the daypack serves as a compartment on the big pack, but then unhooks and becomes a small daypack.

I have a CamelBak Blowfish that has a zipper that expands the pack for carrying larger stuff, and zips up to make it smaller (864 cu in zipped, 1047 cu in unzipped, it's the zipper on the bottom left in the pic. It makes it expand out a couple of inches.) I rode down Pikes Peak on Monday with it loaded and it didn't move an inch, (sternum straps helped.)

Link Here...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

quote:
Camel-bak does make some real good packs but they have one huge drawback - the bladder itself. It's made of pvc and it imparts a nasty rubber taste to the water.

I replaced all my Camelback bladders with the Platypus bladders. I couldn't stand that rubber taste that came from the Camelback bladders. Some of the Platypus models have a ziploc type seal on one end that makes it easly to fill with ice and to clean and dry. They can also be frozen and boiled. The night before a summer hike I'll toss the whole thing in the freezer. I then have ice cold water all day long.

I purchased several sizes and shapes of Platypus bladders. One fits in my fanny pack, another slips perfectly into the water bottle holder in my frame pack and another slips right into the compartment in my hydration compatible Arc'teryx

Spear 25 (see my earlier post). I bought two hoses and just change them between the bladders as needed.

Ok, is it just me, or are we babying ourselves here? icon_wink.gif

After lugging around your typical school-type daypack for 5 years at college, I don't really need a specialty pack. Heck, when I was IN college Beersnob and I did an overnight trip at the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch and back with school packs, lugging a couple of 2-liters a few squareish rubbermaid containers and several smaller bottles of water, along with camera, food, sheets and change of clothes... (luckily we didn't have to haul a tent- I was a sca volunteer, and got to use the trail crew's bunkhouse @ Phantom Ranch.. icon_cool.gif )

After that, I've spent many a vacation hauling water, munchies, and my camera & zoom lens around the MI state parks. It dosen't bother me... (Yeah, I'm not doin' any rock climbing with it, but I don't think I'd go for any caches like that, anyways...)

And I've got you all beat on price- the pack I use for Geocaching I got free a couple of years back, as part of some rebate deal from Best Buy.... Ha! Beat that! icon_biggrin.gif

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

After lugging around your typical school-type daypack for 5 years at college, I don't really need a specialty pack. Heck, when I was IN college Beersnob and I did an overnight trip at the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch and back with school packs, lugging a couple of 2-liters a few squareish rubbermaid containers and several smaller bottles of water, along with camera, food, sheets and change of clothes... (luckily we didn't have to haul a tent- I was a sca volunteer, and got to use the trail crew's bunkhouse @ Phantom Ranch.. icon_cool.gif )

After that, I've spent many a vacation hauling water, munchies, and my camera & zoom lens around the MI state parks. It dosen't bother me... (Yeah, I'm not doin' any rock climbing with it, but I don't think I'd go for any caches like that, anyways...)

And I've got you all beat on price- the pack I use for Geocaching I got free a couple of years back, as part of some rebate deal from Best Buy.... Ha! Beat that! icon_biggrin.gif

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

quote:

Many Mountainsmith packs have this feature. The top of my old Mountainsmith detached and became a good sized lumbar pack for day trips. I really miss this feature with my new pack.

Some current Mountainsmith models that have this feature are the Expanse, Terra/Vista, Realm, Specter and the Circut. I'm thinking of buying one myself (anybody want to buy a fairly new Dana Design Long Bed?).

I think some Gregory packs also have the feature

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 21, 2002 at 05:16 AM.]

...was a lot more difficult. I remember the orange Kelty frame pack I first used. Extremely uncomfortable.The belts chafed like you wouldn't believe and the pack swayed back and forth with every step, no matter how I adusted the few straps.

With many modern packs, you barely know you have them on. Most have great features like hydration system pockets. I love these because I no longer have to take the whole pack off to get at the my water. I also like the top that detaches and becomes a small day pack for side trips.

I know, there are gonna be some here who LOVE their GI Alice packs, or their 30 year old Kelty.

and brag that they only cost $20. But try a new Gregory, Mountainsmith, Dana Design, Osprey, Arc'terx, North Face or similar pack and you will be amazed by the difference. Expensive? Yeah. But when I'm carting 40+ lbs and am a two or three day walk from my car, its worth every penny.

How do you keep hydration packs clean inside? DOn't you eventually get fungus and other "growths" of whatever that could effect your health?

Also, my back isn't the greatest. Whose lightweight, run-in/run-out pack would you recommend? I suppose I need one with hip support so the weight is there not on my shoulders.

tks

Alan

Thanks for the feedback.

REI, huh? I know there is one somewhere... but not around here. I could do the online thing, but I'd hate to buy a pack without first trying it on and talking to a salesman.

Maybe Nashville has good outdoors stores.

Around here, the outdoors stores only sell fishin' poles and guns.

Jamie

Jamie,

Thats the great thing about rei, you buy online and if you don't like it for whatever reason you just ship it back. I don't think your going to feel to much of a difference between daypacks from trying them on. Now I would understand if it was a big ol' hiking pack that would weigh 100lbs but I think you would be fine with a simple daypack that looked like what you want.

As for the rubber taste I haven't experienced that. Mine has always been fine. Mind you that I got my mule probably no more than 4 months ago so its possible that Camelbak has changed some things.

Alan,

Keeping the bladder clean is a big chore and needs to be cleaned after every use (at least I do) Thats the whole idea keep it clean and your fine. They have a huge opening now that makes it easy to clean along with tool kits and brushes that get everywhere they need to.

Check out this link and learn more.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

BrianSnat-

I was mainly goin' after the daypack thing. icon_wink.gif Beersnob and I are guilty of buying some of the latest-greatest type packs for multiday backpacking trips this summer icon_biggrin.gif

I can tough it out hauling stuff in a school pack for day trips, but gotta have the comfort when you're hauling your household around!

As for getting water out of the dapack without taking it off- that's what Beersnob's for! icon_biggrin.gif

BrianSnat-

I was mainly goin' after the daypack thing. icon_wink.gif Beersnob and I are guilty of buying some of the latest-greatest type packs for multiday backpacking trips this summer icon_biggrin.gif

I can tough it out hauling stuff in a school pack for day trips, but gotta have the comfort when you're hauling your household around!

As for getting water out of the dapack without taking it off- that's what Beersnob's for! icon_biggrin.gif

I generally use whatever I feel is appropriate for the type(s) of caches I'm going after. This ranges from pant's pockets to a Camelbak Peak Bagger.

For the "park-type" caches, I'll put a few essentials in the cargo pockets of my pants/hiking shorts. I'll use a fanny pack for caches that are medium terrain difficulty or in more remote areas. This give me room for water, first aid kit and other 'essentials". For the real difficult stuff or a cache requiring a long hike in and out, I'll use the Peak Bagger to allow some alternate clothing, a rainfly, more water and other "get caught in the wild" items.

Even with the Peak Bagger and an all day trek, I have never needed to carry more than about 12 lbs (including a full water store). I have not noticed any odd taste to the water; I am using a new bladder.

I got my Peak Bagger on Ebay for 57 USD. It appeared to be only slightly used and was complete with compression straps and some other lashing accessories (added later).

BP

I was looking for a large cammelbak a while back but they only seemed to make water bottles that happened to have some extra room for some stuff - not packs that had built in water bottles.

EMS had some such packs but I liked the cammelbak 'bottle' design better then EMS's own brand (even though EMS makes some serious $#!+). I settled on the camelbak 'unbottle' 100oz (no pack - just an insulated sleave) and an EMS pack. Great combo.

During a long shoe this past winter my 100 oz unbottle was flowing free while my wife's LOBO camelbak pack was starting to ice up.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

quote:
How do you keep hydration packs clean inside? DOn't you eventually get fungus and other "growths" of whatever that could effect your health?

No, I don't get any growths in my hydration bladders. What I do (maybe you should write this down) is rinse and dry them after I use them. Works quite well.