small boat?

I'm keen on getting a little boat (yes markwell I read the canoe thread) but i'm thinking even a canoe is a bit much. It needs to be very light (I'm a weakling) and it needs to be or become very small (i've got a little car and precious little storage space) Any ideas? Oh yeah, I'm also broke so it has to be cheap, too.

King Pellinore

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

I'm keen on getting a little boat (yes markwell I read the canoe thread) but i'm thinking even a canoe is a bit much. It needs to be very light (I'm a weakling) and it needs to be or become very small (i've got a little car and precious little storage space) Any ideas? Oh yeah, I'm also broke so it has to be cheap, too.

King Pellinore

Ask ClayJar about his inflatable kayak.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

depending on what you want to do with it and the water temp, a flyfisher's float tube might work. It is a tube with pockets to keep things dry. The person sits in it and wears fins on thier feet to move it.

It would be fine for short water trips, but wouldn't work well for longer ones. Also it would be unpleasent in cold water! But, they are cheap (around $90-100).

The inflatable kayak that Mopar mentioned sounds like a good idea.

pokeanim3.gif

You may wish to consider a small hard dinghy like they sell at West Marine. You can sail it or use a very small outboard. They sell for around $800 and they are unsinkable.

Another thought is to visit marina's with an eye out for a used inflatable like a Zodiac, Achilles or West Marine.

If you are handy with tools you can build one very cheaply with kits from Glenn-L marine. Glenn L Marine

I don't own stock or have any interest in the companies mentioned except that they make nice products.

Capn Skully

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Persig

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

King Pellinore

Inflatables really fit the bill for this....I owned one of the large Coleman 4 person inflatables for years. I used it as a dive platform for near shore ocean diving, and support for drift dives on the river. It took a lot of abuse...But I never used it for anything beyond it's design...it's NOT an OPEN water boat, and shouldn't be used as one...

But for something cheap that will fit in the truck of your car...and if you're not ready to get wet.....you're not ready to go out on the water in one......I would NOT use one in COLD water!

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

Just some ideas defending the conoe idea, You can get a used 10ft conoe for 75$ -150 bucks they weight about 20-25 pounds, and I can fit 2/ 16 foot kayaks on my honda civic hatchback, to give you and idea of space needed. plus they make fold up boats that snap together and when there all apart are approx 3 feet by 2 feet...

Found the cache but where is that damm GPS?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

If ya wanna hit some hydrocaches, there's room for ya in my canoe.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

Was that directed strictly at the King, or is there room for the entire geocaching community? (obviously, not all at the same time)

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.

quote:
Originally posted by IV_Warrior:

Was that directed strictly at the King, or is there room for the entire geocaching community? (obviously, not all at the same time)

Well, both I guess. Pellinore lives real close by (when I'm home, hehehe), anyone one else in the area wants to do some caching/paddling, I'm up for it.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by IV_Warrior:

Well, both I guess. Pellinore lives real close by (when I'm home, hehehe), anyone one else in the area wants to do some caching/paddling, I'm up for it.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

I may take you up on that someday!!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

You and Jomarac5 have some nice boats. When I was a little boy, my dad always told me about the raceboats (power) he used to build and race in the 50's. I've always wanted to tackle a boat project myself, and would occasionally pick of a boat-building mag at the store, or search out a few websites, but never acted on it. You guys were the bug that bit me again, and I will probably spend all summer researching a kayak project for next winter. I'm blaming you guys now if my geocaching suffers!

quote:

You guys were the bug that bit me again, and I will probably spend all summer researching a kayak project for next winter. I'm blaming you guys now if my geocaching suffers!

Good, it's nice to know that we aren't the only ones with our caches suffering. We can always use another kayak builder on the kayak boards.

If you are going for a strip-built, I highly recommend the Redfish King if it is the right size for you. I paddled it and really liked it. It tracks nicely, turns nicely, and slices through the water easily. I bought the plans for it, but haven't had the time to build it yet (there goes more geocaching), because I've been building a kayak I designed for my son, remodeling the house.....

As far as stitch and glue goes, I've only paddled the CLC 17. I haven't paddled any others, so I don't have any opinion on what to build.

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

Good, it's nice to know that we aren't the only ones with our caches suffering. We can always use another kayak builder on the kayak boards.

I dunno, you think they are ready for the likes of ME? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

If you are going for a strip-built, I highly recommend the http://www.redfishkayak.com/king.htm if it is the right size for you. I paddled it and really liked it. It tracks nicely, turns nicely, and slices through the water easily. I bought the plans for it, but haven't had the time to build it yet (there goes more geocaching), because I've been building a kayak I designed for my son, remodeling the house.....

As far as stitch and glue goes, I've only paddled the CLC 17. I haven't paddled any others, so I don't have any opinion on what to build.

Well, heres the thing. Been on/around the water my whole life. Owned canoes, PWCs, speedboats, and a small cruiser. Have a canoe and a waverunner now. Never owned a kayak, so I don't yet know enough to know what would suit me. If its a matter of size, I'm 5'11 and around 220lb (but usually around 200lb in the summer). There isn't much in the way of whitewater here, but it would have to handle possible 4-6ft seas. Any suggestions?

quote:

I dunno, you think they are ready for the likes of ME? icon_biggrin.gif

From your handle I have to assume that you like Dodge products so you can't be all bad.icon_cool.gif

quote:

Have a canoe and a waverunner now. Never owned a kayak, so I don't yet know enough to know what would suit me. If its a matter of size, I'm 5'11 and around 220lb (but usually around 200lb in the summer). There isn't much in the way of whitewater here, but it would have to handle possible 4-6ft seas. Any suggestions?

I'm still going with the King. The Guillemot "L" would probably be a good fit too. I think the guillemot tends to turn easier, but requires more concentration to keep it going in a straight line. These are both sporty kayaks, but check out many others, ask lots of questions on the kayak board, and you'll figure out what you want... eventually. There really are a lot of cool designs out there.

The kayaks that people build tend to be longer, narrower, and more performance oriented than the ones you'll find in the stores. It's good to build a kayak that you can grow into (experience wise). Otherwise you might not be happy with it after a while. Of course if you're like the rest of us, you won't stop at just one anyway.