Waterproof containers for GPSr

As we all know by know the Garmin E-trex GPSrs are not waterproof. I was wondering if there was a waterproof container that would hold said E-trex AND still be operational inside with perhaps a small window to see the screen.

P.S. My fallback position is a tightly sealed plastic bag.

[This message was edited by Thack Pack on July 15, 2003 at 06:50 PM.]

A simple ziplock bag is an amazingly useful thing.

I keep my digital camera and pda in one. Keeps away the dust and grime as well as water should I get caught in the rain.

Not worried about the GPSr. I actually dropped my GPSV while crossing a stream a while back. Seems to be waterproof as advertised.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

I've used my eTrex in heavy rain, dropped it in snow and in a pond, without ill effect. So as far as I'm concerned its as waterproof as it needs to be for normal use. I don't see a need for an additonal container to protect it.

I wouldn't go swimming with the thing in my pocket though.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Mine failed after a splashing. Heck, Garmin's standard warranty coverage of such units pretty much proves the lack of water-proofness. The Garmin tech agree that a ziploc would be a good plan for my new replacement unit!

Garmin is a wonderful company that fully stands behind it's products (and in record time too if you read others experiences in this regard).

Some people have lucked out, but many units have failed. Whatever container you use, it shouldn't insulate temperature and pressure, or the unit may be inaccurate.

Enjoy,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:...

Whatever container you use, it shouldn't insulate temperature and pressure, or the unit may be inaccurate.

I'm not a techie, but I don't believe that a unit without a built-in barometric altimeter would care if it was insulated from the elements, as long as it could 'see' the sats.

back on topic:

Most units are guaranteed to be waterproof to IPX7 standards. This means that, when new, the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. As the units get older, however, they may not continue to meet this standard due to damage from repeated drops & falls and the deterioration of the fit of the various seals.

My 3+ is now well beyond its warranty life. I have used it in heavy rain on a number of occasions with no ill effects. I try not to take it swimming, however.

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

what about the 'food savers' that you would seal before you go out? would there be an issue with heat build up inside the sealed bag?

I wouldn't think so. My 3+ lives in my car. I doubt that it gets hotter in the plastic than it does on my dash in the sun.

Funny how different companies keep making new products that cost big bucks and don't work any better than a simple ziplock bag.

Both my cell phone and GPS work fine inside a bag. A new good-quality bag is waterproof, but I replace them after a few uses anyway.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

I might trust my cell phone/PDA in a ziplock bag if I belive there is little, to no chance of rain. If there is a good chance that it will get wet/(or small chance of falling in water) I will leave it, or bring something better to put it in.

I might be a little more willing to trust my GPSr in a ziplock bag since the bag should stop the forces that max out the IPx7 rating (waves/droped in water/ etc...).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.