Locationless caches & pictures

rjt

My area has so few location caches(including traditional & virtual ones). I want to hunt some locationless caches, but most of them need pictures for verifing. However, I only have a traditonal camera, no digital camera. So, can somebody tell me any locationless caches those don't need pictures? icon_confused.giffrog.gif

My honest opinion is that the "guidelines" be changed so that locationless caches may be logged without a photo. Afterall, we are all honest, and if someone wants to log a fake find, they can just as easily fake a pic...I pitty them if they take th etime to do that though. I also do not have digital camera, and find lugging around my video camera is just too heavy and bulky.

And I also strongly feel that the same location should be allowed to be logged again by someone else, since afterall if the person visits it, why not.

http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada <---NEW!

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

Where's in A Name is one that comes to mind.

If you don't have a digital camera, a cheap alternative is a scanner.Just take a regular snapshot and scan it in. I've seen them as low as $59 and I'm sure you can find one cheaper if you look. Or you may be able to go to your local library and scan your photos.

quote:
My honest opinion is that the "guidelines" be changed so that locationless caches may be logged without a photo...And I also strongly feel that the same location should be allowed to be logged again by someone else, since afterall if the person visits it, why not.

There is nothing in the GC.COM guidelines that require a photo for locationless caches. They only require some form of verification. If you can think of a way to verify your find sans photo, then discuss it with the cache owner and they may allow you to log it.

The "one log per site" rule is not a GC.COM rule either. For some reason, it's been traditional for most locationless cache owners to enforce this (I never figured out why either).

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 22, 2003 at 03:34 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by rjt:

I only have a traditonal camera, no digital camera. So, can somebody tell me any locationless caches those don't need pictures?

I won't go into my opinion on locationless... but...

Another alternative is to request a picture CD when you get your film processed. Most photo places offer this service for around $7 or $8 per roll.

I've never used a picture CD, so I don't know the quality of the pics, but certainly they are within geocaching standards.

Jamie

quote:
Another alternative is to request a picture CD when you get your film processed. Most photo places offer this service for around $7 or $8 per roll.

I forgot about this option because I stopped using it after I purchased a scanner, but it is a good idea. I've seen the service for as low as $4 a roll. Quality is very good. More than enough for posting here.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I've seen them as low as $59 and I'm sure you can find one cheaper if you look.

Instead of a scanner....

I bought my daughter (10 yr old) a cheap digital camera from walmart for about that price. USB connection too. If it's just for locationless verification I think the cheap digital would be the way to go.

This is the one

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1811798&cat=4468&type=1&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3946%3A3959%3A4468

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Considering that there is a 100K limit on picture size, I would guess that just about any cheap digital camera would do just fine, even if it was only 320X240 resolution. And just about all computers have USB these days, so it shouldn't be too difficult getting one that will work for you.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I bought my daughter (10 yr old) a cheap digital camera...

dude, thanks. My 4 year old went to the bronx zoo & i gave him a throw away cameras as a goof. He loved it (and it came home) the pictures were decent but now he wants a camera like mine. After he took pictures at the geocaching event I decided a cheapie digital was just the thing. I had looked at this camera I think, and was debating it. Yours seemed perhaps a little more suitable for a youngster though. Regardless, THANKS!

alt.gif