To MOC or not to MOC...

I've been planning a cache all winter for placement in the spring (actually 2). I've put a lot of effort into it and it contains more than the usual trinkets. I was worried about plundering so I was pleased to see the MOCs (Members Only Caches -- I'm a techno geek -- everything can be reduced to a three letter acronym or TLA). Hah! I would place it for members only. Perfect!

Then I started to think about it. Probably only a few charter members in my area. Plundering isn't really an issue here yet. I'd probably only get 2 or 3 visitors and they'd probably be from out of town. My whole purpose for placing the cache was to give local cachers a chance to cache, and as a thank you for the caches that they had placed. So I don't think I will place it as a MOC.

Which brings me to my point. Some are concerned that the really good caches will be MOCs and only geotrash will be left for everyone else. After giving it some thought, I don't think that will be the case. After putting so much thought into my cache I want as many people as possible to see it, and my guess is that other cachers will feel the same way.

"Some are concerned that the really good caches will be MOCs and only geotrash will be left for everyone else."

I have a couple more gold coins out there that I have yet to list, but I will be listing them as MOC. Now I have a few non MOC and a few MOC and we'll see what happens.

Ringbone

I've had one cache plundered so far and it most likely won't be the last. It was one of three that were placed in highly popular locations and close to trails. I feel certain that this particular cache was stumbled upon by a small game hunter and not, for example, a Park Ranger because the container and it's entire contents were gone, and wrappers were strewn on the ground at the site. I've since revised the cache but still use the original hiding place for an intermediate clue only. Anyway, here's my thoughts on MOC's: an MOC will not prevent accidental finds. The reason I placed these caches within small Parks was to make them available to as many cachers as possible. They are not necessarily easy to find or retrieve, but they are "accessible."

My last cache was hidden in a fairly remote location where I doubt it will be discovered unintentionally. This one is in steep terrain and probably will not be very attractive to the casual cacher so, again, making it an MOC would be pointless. Logically, I can see only having an MOC if I felt that some nefarious character was deliberately messing with my own caches or those of others in the area. Therefore, I'm actually kind of curious to see what kinds of unique caches people will devise that can effectively utilize the MOC feature.

Cheers ...

Rich in NEPA

1132_1000.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

Although I like the idea of exclusivity, I have a hard enough time getting people to visit my caches without narrowing the scope further.

It's true; in the area we live, placing a cache of level 3 or higher is practically a guarantee of exclusivity. Who needs MOCs?

I don't see myself placing any MOCs any time in the foreseeable future. Heck, we don't have nearly enough normal ones around here yet! The nearest cache to me that I haven't found yet is 80 miles away. Impressive caching on my part? No - I've only found 10. And now there's only three left within 100 miles!

Stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy

Does MOC stand for Members only Club - A different form of GOB club. Or does it stand for

Magellan Only Cachers or My Only Cache or; Most Outstanding Cache and the rest are just dog food.

Only time will tell what this new idea will generate. When summer gets here and the Snow is gone I will probably put MOC cache about a 100 yards from a regular cache about 3 miles from the road and see what one gets the most attempts.

Probably neither because its not a drive and bag cache.

icon_rolleyes.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

Does MOC stand for Members only Club - A different form of GOB club. Or does it stand for

Magellan Only Cachers or My Only Cache or; Most Outstanding Cache and the rest are just dog food.

Only time will tell what this new idea will generate. When summer gets here and the Snow is gone I will probably put MOC cache about a 100 yards from a regular cache about 3 miles from the road and see what one gets the most attempts.

Probably neither because its not a drive and bag cache.

icon_rolleyes.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

I, too am undecided about the whole MOC issue. When I payed I made two of my caches MOC's and it's really cool being able to audit it and see who's looking at it. That feature alone makes me want to place nuttin' but MOC's. But at the same time I want to have as wide an audience as possible. If Jeremy makes it to where regular caches can be audited by charter members then I will not place so many MOC's.

8009_400.jpg

If we had access to the number of Charter Members in our areas than we could better determine if placing an MOC would be a good idea. Being able to enter your zip code and get a list of CM's near you would be a good idea. Sorta like the "Visualize: View the cache map for this state"

option except it would say "Visualize: View the Charter Members for this state"

pillage.jpg

The caches I frequent the most, east San Diego County, do not get a lot of action. Seems that most people prefer to stick closer to town. Many of these remote caches have great views and beautiful surroundings but only the more dedicated cachers take the time and effort. They have a long drive and most of the areas require a state park Adventure Pass. Last summer, it was very quiet with regards to caching. Cache plundering is definitely not a problem.

I just don’t think that members only caches will be very popular. I’ve also noticed that many of the earlier placers have dropped out. Seems that people loose enthusiasm for the game and abandon their caches. Many of the names we see on this forum will not be here a year from now. As I’ve said elsewhere, I can find other reasons for donating but I think members only caches are a bad idea. I definitely will make my future caches open to all even though I do pride myself on putting a little more effort and maintenance into them.

I blather on.

Hey robereno I lived in San Diego (chula vista actually) for nine years and spent alot of time up around alpine and points east. That would be a great place to geocache. Can't believe there aren't alot of folks doing it out there. As far as to moc or not....it's a personnel pref. I probally won't because I want lots of folks to find the cache. One of the great things about geocaching is that it is a freeform sport. You can do it the way you want to.

LOST IN SPACE....

quote:
Originally posted by Team Roman Geoskis:

Can't believe there aren't alot of folks doing it out there.

LOST IN SPACE....

Yeah, I was a little disappointed last summer. I’m watching about 15 caches around Cuyamaca, Descanso, Pine Valley and Sunrise Highway. They were really slow, some going over a month with out a single visitor.

I dont plan to make any MO caches. I will visit others offerings gladly, but I will not limit the availability to mine. With the exception of one cache I have hidden under this account, my other caches require a degree of effort that if someone wishes to plunder it, they have their work cut out for them. I am working on one now that took 8 hours and at least 6 miles of hiking to place. If someone wishes to plunder it, go for it. At least I know you worked your A** off to do it icon_wink.gif

I dont plan to make any MO caches. I will visit others offerings gladly, but I will not limit the availability to mine. With the exception of one cache I have hidden under this account, my other caches require a degree of effort that if someone wishes to plunder it, they have their work cut out for them. I am working on one now that took 8 hours and at least 6 miles of hiking to place. If someone wishes to plunder it, go for it. At least I know you worked your A** off to do it icon_wink.gif