Parking on hwy shoulder for cache: thoughts?

wcgreen

I've an idea for a micro- or virtual cache at a location that once was a tourist landmark but now is forgotten. This place is accessible by parking on the shoulder of a US highway, climbing over the metal traffic barrier, and crossing a gravelled drainage ditch. The road shoulder is very wide, so there should be no danger to a careful person.

The ditch has some thistles, but I saw no poison ivy. I crossed it in sandals, so it's doable.

Can a micro-cache work here or would this be considered too risky?

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen55@hotmail.com

All depends on local laws. Here in Oregon people pull over on the edge of the interstate to take a nap. I use the roadsides to take a whiz. Maybe you've seen me?? I'm sure you'll get lots of don't do it's but I'd look for it.

Like I said though, what's against the law say in California usually isn't against the law in other states. J/K CA, I used to be one of ya

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

I've an idea for a micro- or virtual cache at a location that once was a tourist landmark but now is forgotten. This place is accessible by parking on the shoulder of a US highway, climbing over the metal traffic barrier, and crossing a gravelled drainage ditch. The road shoulder is very wide, so there should be no danger to a careful person.

The ditch has some thistles, but I saw no poison ivy. I crossed it in sandals, so it's doable.

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen55@hotmail.com

Just make a note on the page about being careful along the edge.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

I would recommend checking with the local law enforcement. It would be a bummer to cost a fellow cacher some money via a ticket. It would also be a bummer to come back to see your car being towed away. You should always ask for permission to avoid problems.

I support the Georgia Geocachers Association, or the GGA!

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen55@hotmail.com

I've found other caches in similar situations. Make sure that it's legal to park in that spot and, as others have written, point out the risk in the cache description.

Marty

I have one like that. Its a virtual and it's only about 15 yards past the guardrail and very obvious once you are in the area, so if anybody stops on the shoulder they're only there

for a minute or so. There is also a parking area a few hundred yards away on the other side of the road. It seems that most people who have found it prefer parking on the shoulder, to running across 2 lanes of traffic.

If your cache requires someone to spend more than a few minutes at the site, then I'd recommend against it.

There are a number of variables to consider on this one. Since I don’t know them all I’ll temper my opinion. However, I did have a friend whose car broke down and parked on the side of the freeway. She was killed instantly when an 18 wheeler collided with the back of her car. That confirmed what I already knew about highway parking, only for emergencies. I’d never hunt for one with that in the description unless there was a frontage road I could use to get close. Because I am unfamiliar with the highway in question, I can’t say it’s a good or bad idea.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................