Search and Rescue (SAR)

I missed that one knight. i would believe that many "pros" would have a condescending attitude. As a volunteer firefighter, I always love the masses telling me how it doesn't make me a real firefighter if I'm not paid. I tell them good, I don't have to worry about coming to their house if its a real fire then, I'll wait for the pretend one.

i guess I'll wait for any tupperware to come missing, then lead a SAR.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Looking at it from a serious side, Geocaching has allowed me to spend a great deal of time out hiking the desert. Most of the time when I go for desert caches, I keep going, even way out where there is no trail and no trace of humanity. I have learned how the land moves, how to manuever around cliffs, washes, dropoffs, the different types of wildlife, cacti, etc...SAR would be an exciting field to get into, no doubt, but there would be those that say "Oh, wandering around with a GPS doesn't qualify you for anything" when in fact I get more outdoor time on the sides of mountains and down in valleys than some pros...with just a little bit of the right training, who knows?

Before my self imposed exile from the forum, I remember the thread about use of the GPS skills in SAR and other citizen volunteer activities. It was flamed by other cachers as well.

I think that the skill I learned looking for things that don't belong (ie: figuring out which pile of sticks is most likely to have a geocache inside it) has helped me do better as a member of our Citizen Patrol.

It strikes me that the individual geocacher should approach the volunteer organization and become a member, in this process, their skill set will be demonstrated. The non-interested cachers won't flame you in the forum for trying either. icon_mad.gif

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Oh, that's funny. I know you are seriouse, but a while back a thread on whether or not geocachers would make good SAR team members came up. A few people with a SAR background slammed the entire idea.

Good luck.

If I remember right (markwell? got the thread handy?), the point was that geocaching skills are of no use in SAR. In other words, using a gps to find a marked object.

I would think the other skills we possess and aquire as geocachers would be a great help, with additional and proper training.

General GPSr usage.

Topo map reading skills.

Compass skills.

General navigation skills.

The ability to "read" a trail or area for recent signs someone has been there, even those its not obvious to the general public. (at this point, I can often follow a previous cacher right to the cache just by noticing minor things, like leaves that have been disturbed or trampled grass)

General outdoor survival skills.

Those things, along with SAR training, would be helpful in the field. Finding tupperware with your GPS wouldnt

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I would think the other skills we possess and aquire as geocachers would be a great help, with additional and proper training.

General GPSr usage.

Topo map reading skills.

Compass skills.

General navigation skills.

The ability to "read" a trail or area for recent signs someone has been there, even those its not obvious to the general public. (at this point, I can often follow a previous cacher right to the cache just by noticing minor things, like leaves that have been disturbed or trampled grass)

General outdoor survival skills.

Those things, along with SAR training, would be helpful in the field. Finding tupperware with your GPS wouldnt

Those other skills are valuable. Until I met people that coulnd't read a map I never know there was such a thing as that. That a lot of what I take for granted, is beyond the reach of other people (who in turn have skills that I don't)

One skill we develop that isn't often mentioned is that we get a sense of where people like to go. This is so that we can put the cache 3 steps left and reduce the plunder rate while still having a cache close to the scenery that attracted people to begin with.

Hey, we agree on a topic!

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Hey, we agree on a topic!

OMG! Quick! What's the zipcode for hell so I check weather.com?

I predict a cold snap! icon_biggrin.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

NO not a real good idea and there's really not a serious connection between SAR and Geocaching.

As for being a volunteer fire fighter then that's different, might not be paid but certainly trained as one.

That's not to say a geocaching couldn't/wouldn't become a SAR member but don't go into it thinking that training (and in some cases re-training) isn't required.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

NO not a real good idea and there's really not a serious connection between SAR and Geocaching.

[snip]

That's not to say a geocaching couldn't/wouldn't become a SAR member but don't go into it thinking that training (and in some cases re-training) isn't required.

He did say SAR training is a must.

I just got through looking through the NASAR site and it is a fairly extensive training course. (None local, though.) The introduction is 16 hours and the fundamental course is about 47 hours. It certianly involves more than just land navigation!

Looks fun, but I don't know how I'd go about getting the training without having to take time off from work!

CR

72057_2000.gif

This brings to mind a funny story about how a GPS doesn't make you smarter.

I was flying a mighty Sea King helo in one of Canada's maritime Provinces, when Air Traffic Control(ATC) called us and asked us if we could respond to a SAR call. Before we could say anything, she mentioned that we needed to hear the whole story first.

She(ATC), was on the phone with Rescue Co-ordination center(RCC) who had been patched a 911 call from a lost hunter. The hunter had a GPS, and was out for a hunt. The province in question has fairly featureless terrain so he was walking along and couldn't figure out where he parked. SO....

Breaking out his cell phone, he called 911, and told them where his GPS said he was and said he needed to be rescued.

This was only about 15 miles away as the helo flies so we went for a look. About 1/4 mile back from where he said he was, we sighted a pickup. Describing it to ATC, who relayed to RCC, who asked him if it was his, he said yes, and that he saw the helo.

Next instruction, the helo will stop by your vehicle, walk toward the helo. About 20 min later he emerges from the bush and waves. We left.

The point - Just cuz you have a GPS doesn't guarantee that you can use it to save yourself, let alone others. SAR training assumes a baseline level of knowledge that would take some significant training to reach, not to mention understanding the methodology of search patterns and such.

Most SAR team provides local training and it is usally over a period of time so work is not a problem usally the team or county pays for it but you will find the training is ongoingso don't give up if you are interest.

support SAR get lost!

Know of several instances where even trained emergency services people (fire, ambulance etc) have sent Helo's in the wrong direction but rescue pilots generally pick these types of things up fairly quickly especially if when the course/position is exactly like the emergency yesterday.

Why, arrive at an emergency, do all the right things, turn on the GPS, give the position WITHOUT waiting for it to acquire properly.

Many pilots now ask to confirm positions based on physical ground locations, just to be sure.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

FEMA Federal Emergency Management Agency,would be the best to contact.SEMA State Emergency Management Agency is another,These are the people who put on weather spotters classes, Training for First Responders and Medical Tech's,through the Red Cross.I Know the www.usafreedomcorps.gov in this area is working with these agencies in the matters now being discussed.

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

Search and Rescue is often carried out fire departments, though there are quite a few SAR groups unafilliated with Fire Departments, but there is not much I could find in South Carolina. There is one group SCUSAR(South Carolina Upstate SAR), but they have no website.

There are actually quite a few geocachers who are involved in SAR, but it requires a great deal of time and training. As I recall the thread on Geocachers and SAR, the notion was put out that a bunch of geocachers could form their own SAR group, since they are already expert at finding things. This would be analagous to saying I could be an EMT, I have a first aid kit and once took a CPR course. Of course geocachers would be welcome as SAR volunteer trainees, but they will be expected to attend a lot of training before they are even allowed to go out on a search. Untrained volunteers are an encumberance and may unwittingly destroy clues or become lost or injured themselves.

State Office of Emergency Management,vol.Fire Departments.law enforcement and reminber SAR has no jurisdiction problem so if your county does not have a SAR group check with others.

1.SUPPORT SEARCH AND RESCUE GET LOST! 2.ALWAYS KEEP A DOG BONE IN OUR POCKET AND YOU WILL BE THE FIRST THE BLOODHOUNDS FIND.