LEGEND AND VISITA

Newenglandah

Ok I need some opinon/facts from the experts here!!

I just went out and bought me a Etrex legend, which I know will be better then the Magellan gps 38 I'm using,,,,but would it be worth returning for the visita????

The questions I have are as follows,

Memory---8mb vs 24mb ---how many maps can 8 mb hold and Can you wipe them out and reload others in the future????

Compass & Altometer----..This seems like part of the price difference but do you really use them??

Accuracy--- Is there any difference between the 2 models?

Is there any big differences that I'm not seeing that would make me want to return this for an upgrade?

Also as far as the memory aspect--- I plan on getting a cheap PDA so I could use that for map d/loads Instead Right?

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

and I have no complaints. The 8 meg of memory seems sufficient for me to map more than half of Virginia, plus a bit of North Carolina (I'm right on the border, but tend to cache in a northerly direction). I have yet to have to delete the maps and upload different ones (yes, you can do that).

As far as the compass, I have found that a cheap model will suffice, in lieu of the added expense to have the electronic version. Plus, I rarely find myself having to use the compass anyway (I'm sure it's still in my pack, but I'd have to dig around to find it). I can't fathom any use for the altimeter, aside from purely academic knowledge of how far I'd fall into the ocean if it weren't for the dirt under my feet.

In short, I'd love to have the Vista and am jealous of those who have them, but I'm having plenty of luck with the Legend. If you've got the bucks for it, though, why not?

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I'm a Vista owner, and the additional 16MB of memory over the Legend can make a huge difference ...even if you rarely travel outside of your home Province/State. I couldn't find a similar reference for a U.S. 'MapSource' product, but this link will give you an idea of how much of your memory can be taken up by 'MapSource' data (Toronto's 'MetroGuide' and 'Roads and Rec' segments add up to over 5MB alone!). Although much depends on where you live and where you travel, chances are it wouldn't take you long to eat up 8MB of memory. The 24MB on my Vista allows me to store the enhanced basemap for Ontario, the available 'MetroGuide', as well as the 'Roads and Rec' info for the Province ...and still leave me room to store local info for 'away from home' trips to the U.S. .

As for the altimeter/compass, I don't use the altimeter that much (although it can generate some pretty cool elevation profiles of your trip), but the compass is certainly a much used feature. One example of how the Vista's internal compass is more than just 'window dressing' is its ability to orientate its map display while you're stationary; while you're standing in the same spot, but turning to face different directions, the Vista's compass can automatically reorientate the displayed map to reflect the direction that you're facing ...whereas the Legend requires the GPSr to register a physical change in location before it can reorientate its map (based on a calculated direction of travel).

For my money, the additional memory and the internal compass makes the Vista worth the extra cost over the Legend.

ontario1.gif

I have Vista and my dad and brother have alegend . the map source data is broken up in to groups of just under 8 meg . so if you live in the center of one grouping you will be fine . but if you live on the border of 2 groups you have to pick only one to load . the vista you can load up to 3 groups. the groups do not follow state or county lines so it is just luck exsample ohio takes 5 groups to get the whole thing . one group is toledo and part of MI while the others are evenly spaced covering the 4 corners of the state.the compass is nice but not used alot. If you where to use a laptop with the legend like my brother dose it will not matter . Ebay is the place to buy either.

quote:
Originally posted by ETDiver Family:

I have Vista and my dad and brother have alegend . the map source data is broken up in to groups of just under 8 meg . so if you live in the center of one grouping you will be fine . but if you live on the border of 2 groups you have to pick only one to load . the vista you can load up to 3 groups. the groups do not follow state or county lines so it is just luck exsample ohio takes 5 groups to get the whole thing . one group is toledo and part of MI while the others are evenly spaced covering the 4 corners of the state.the compass is nice but not used alot. If you where to use a laptop with the legend like my brother dose it will not matter . Ebay is the place to buy either.

The current version of MetroGuide has the mapping in much more manageable chunks. Map sections range anywhere from around 200k to 1.5 meg. This lets you really pick and choose what sections you want, making the memory usage much more efficient.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

With the Legend you'll need to carry two things in your hands shile caching - the Legend and the compass. With he Vista as mentioned, you only need the GPS although it's a good idea to keep a regular compass (the cheapest will do) in you pocket in case the GPS fails.

You can get a Vista for about $75 more so if you have the money, do it or eld you'll be kicking yourself down the road. speciually after you buy some maps and see you can't get all of the ones loaded thaqt you wanted to because of less memory.

On the other hamnd, if you expect to carry a PDA with maps, then I guess you don't have to worry about more memory.

Yes, I have a Vista so I guess I'm prejudiced.

Alan

Go with the Vista. It's worth the extra expense...the altimeter is a very useful and quite accurate if you calibrate at the trailheads or at known elevation points...e.g. lakes. It's similar in performance to Suunto Altimeter watch that a friend bought for 200 bucks. Here 350 gets you gps, compass, altimeter, memory, etc. Currently I the etrex summit, but am saving up for a Vista.

I understand the differances in the features now and for me , i felt like i was just paying for memory, so I kept the legend I bought... Afetr I get a new car , since mine was stolen this weekend I am going out to get a PDA for my addtion maps and cache pages.....now can anyone seggest a good pda that wont cost 500$

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

I have a Vista and 2 Rino 120s and my daughter has a Legend. I use my Vista in the car, mostly. In spite of the Rino not having a compass or as much memory as my Vista, the antenna is better in the woods than the Vista or the Legend. So I rank them as follows...

1. Vista 3 X the memory of the Rino or Vista plus compass and altimeter

2. Rino 120 All the features of the Legend plus superior antenna system, FRS/GMSR, GPS games, & special peer to peer features.

3. Legend Good unit for the money

I find myself using the Rino for most of my hunts.