Down load Different Waypoint Symbol?

Red Barron

I use easy GPS before I upload the way points to my GPS. Its a free software program that you can download from the links page. I download the way point from the cache to my hard drive then open it in easy gps, right click on it and from there you can change the icon, name etc..

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah

The problem is that if you download say a 100 caches, they all come down as "waypoints", and then you have to select EACH one easyGPS, and change it to "GeoCache" before you upload them to the GPS.

that gets to be a real pain. I am really hoping that the premium membership makes it download gpx/upload to GPS easy!

quote:
Originally posted by The La and Dana Explorers:

The problem is that if you download say a 100 caches, they all come down as "waypoints", and then you have to select EACH one easyGPS, and change it to "GeoCache" before you upload them to the GPS.

There's a way around that...and I hope I have all the steps right.

1. Download your loc file. Open it with EasyGPS and then save it as a .gpx file.

2. Open it with Wordpad. Click "Edit," then click "Replace..."

3. Enter <sym>Waypoint</sym> into the "Find What" box and enter <sym>Geocache</sym> into the "Replace with" box. Click "Replace all."

4. Boom, it now has your Geocache icon. Save it as a gpx file and upload it to your GPS.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by Red Barron:

Dear CYBret, thanks for the idea. I have tried it with both Word Pad and MS Word. The code changes in the text file, but the symbol dosen't change. Please look over your code to see if there is a step left out.

Thanks a million. Red Barron

Hmmmmm, nope. I just tried it again using the list of caches closest to me and it worked like a charm. Make sure you're changing the file to a .gpx before editing it with WordPad and then be sure to save it after editing. That's the only thing I can think of.

One other thought, did you change the <sym> tags or the <type> tags? Make sure it was the <sym>'s...that can be a little confusing.

Instructions on using Spinner (and where to download it) can be found on my page here.

Bret

39219_2500.gif"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

There's a way around that...and I hope I have all the steps right.

1. Download your loc file. Open it with EasyGPS and then save it as a .gpx file.

2. Open it with Wordpad. Click "Edit," then click "Replace..."

3. Enter <sym>Waypoint</sym> into the "Find What" box and enter <sym>Geocache</sym> into the "Replace with" box. Click "Replace all."

4. Boom, it now has your Geocache icon. Save it as a gpx file and upload it to your GPS.

Bret

Thanks, Bret. That let's me do some mass changes that I've been avoiding because of tedium.