Removal of caches from the Lake Tahoe Desolation Wilderness

tahoeberne

quote:
You are right. Virtuals are the way to go in any restricted wilderness area, or any area that may pose a problem of any sort.

You might not have read the thread where a geocacher was told by the authorities to remove a virtual cache from a Larimer County, Co. park.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 04, 2002 at 04:28 AM.]

quote:
hell this probably falls under 1st amendment free speech

Sure does, but that didn't keep the park authorities from demanding the removal of the coordinates from this website. My point is that even virtual caches might not be acceptable to some park managers. They have their little fiefdoms and make their own rules.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

(tahoeberne Nov 2):

User ski3pin has contacted you with the following message:

This is the latest email I received from ski3pin and am posting it.

Regards, David Berne

It’s important to

note here that the Wilderness Act is about preserving Wilderness; it is

not about setting up a special recreation area for us outdoorsy types.

******end quote

Hmmm, seems like a lot of people only see what they want to (Briansnat Nov 1 cut n paste of "The Act.").

(:smile: Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, each agency administering any area designated as wilderness shall be responsible for preserving the wilderness character of the area and shall so administer such area for such other purposes for which it may have been established as also to preserve its wilderness character. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, wilderness areas shall be devoted to the public purposes of recreational, scenic, scientific, educational, conservation, and historical use.

****end cut n paste

Judy

Just don't let Kirk show you what he affectionately calls the 'Captain's Log'

sounds like some managers are a bit unclear on the concept of public service...

If a manager has tangible evidence that a cache (virtual or otherwise) is causing resource damage then by all means I support the agency in removing the cache. A blanket policy that all wilderness caches are inherently causing unacceptable resource impacts is not supported by the 1964 Wilderness Act, Title 36 CFR, or common sense. Note that offending a few individuals' personal opinions of what is proper does not constitute a tangible resource impact.

quote:
Originally posted by Duke_:

"...Yawn? Last cache found over 2 months ago? Wake up and go Geocaching for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!..."

Clearly your tolerance for repetitive 6 page+ diatribes is much higher than my own.

As for the frequency of my cache hunting, it's merely one of many activities that I participate in. Poking around in the woods for hidden ammo boxes is an admittedly interesting diversion, but there's a good number of other pursuits behind which it sits on my list of priorities.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

As for the frequency of my cache hunting, it's merely one of many activities that I participate in. Poking around in the woods for hidden ammo boxes is an admittedly interesting diversion, but there's a good number of other pursuits behind which it sits on my list of priorities.

Sorry Canucks. As I stated earlier, was just a friendly poke. Didn't mean to offend you. Sorry 'bout that. icon_frown.gif

Bringing this one to the top again, much to the chagrin of many.

I just spoke with Scott Bell, Law Enforcement Officer for Lassen National Forest. Several months ago he raised the question of geocaches to higher level legal beagles and the response was a shrug. Law enforcement sees no problem with geocaching and consider it a harmless form of legitimate public recreation. He did express some concern about a couple of local caches that are near archaeological sites, but asking the owner to move them will bring attention to the sites, so he is not doing anything now. And as long as the local Wilderness manager is unconcerned about caches in a designated Wilderness he will not care.

When I asked about geocaching being classified as 'abandonment of personal property' he laughed, and said that is waaaay to much of a stretch and could not use that for a citation.

So here we have it from a Federal Law Enforcement Officer -- nothing inherently illegal about caches inside or outside Wilderness on National Forest land.

National Park Service has a different policy, of course, so do not confuse National Parks and National Forests.

Can we please let this thread die?

Can't people pick up their telephone and call the local agency/owner/manager responsible for the land that they've targetted for a geocache and ASK?

Is it really that difficult?

No, wait, don't answer that.

Please.

Let this die.

Yes, long live the 'Removal of caches from the Lake Tahoe Desolation Wilderness' thread. icon_smile.gif

Just kidding, it sure does need to die but that doesn't happen with stupid comments and posts like mine. Oh well.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I have an idea tha would solve this dilemma for the "Authourities".

The "Authorities" are a government agency, the satelites are Govenment owned...so they just draft a policy that makes any area they are concerned about deemed to be a 'no satellite area'. Here's how the proposal could read -

Any satellites, passing/travelling through the portion/arc of their respective orbital paths which brings them to within a detectable/GPSr obtainable position from within any Federally and/or Nationally owned and/or managed lands or properties, shall power down (cease to transmit) any signals or transmittions that may be used to determine or obtain a fixed or mobile position on or within the boundries of said lands, for the offending duration of the satellites above mentioned orbital tract.

That way nobody with a GPSr can use it in these areas and therefore Geocaching can not be linked with any ecological damage done.

A cheaper takeoff on the same idea is to build a dome of aluminum foil over the areas, thereby blocking SAT. reception to GPSr's.

I think this might really be the answer!!!!

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

quote:
Originally posted by MedicP1:

I think this might really be the answer!!!!

This won't solve the problem with those evil letterboxers. They don't even use a GPSr! *gasp* *shudder*

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

without a post and SOMEONE had to resurrect this thread. boo hiss.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

We are gathered here today at this site to lay to rest this thread one final time. All questions have been answered. Ski3pn has spoken, as have you all. May this thread finally and forever rest in peace. Go in peace.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)