GeoCaching without the GPSr

Well I am finally getting my Garmin back tomorrow. I loaned it out to my brother for a trip he was going on. I must say that for the past two weeks I have felt so naked without it.

I could not stop my GeoCaching fever though, I went on a number of hunts last week using MapQuest and Yahoo maps.

I had a lot of fun GeoCaching even without the GPSr, (though I can't wait to get it back).

Is there anyone out there that hunts caches solely without a GPSr?

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

I found my first six caches before I bought a GPSr. But after I'd bought one, during a week when I'd accidentally left it at a friend's house I tried to do two and failed to find either of them. WaldenRun's stats are staggering!

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

I prefer hunting GPSr-less. I've done about 2/3 of my finds that way. I generally use maps and aerial photos from LostOutdoors.com and a couple of other sources.

I typically use the GPSr on most multi-caches and caches in heavily forested areas where the aerial photo doesn't show many clearly identifiable landmarks.

I'm at approximately 470 GPSr-less finds on non-locationless caches.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

Haven't heard of that site, checking it out now.

I use Terra Server and Topozone a lot. I have one cache that I am not getting close to because I get four different locations showing up when I go to Yahoo, Mapquest, Topo and Terra Server.

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I prefer hunting GPSr-less. I've done about 2/3 of my finds that way. I generally use maps and aerial photos from LostOutdoors.com and a couple of other sources.

I typically use the GPSr on most multi-caches and caches in heavily forested areas where the aerial photo doesn't show many clearly identifiable landmarks.

I'm at approximately 470 GPSr-less finds on non-locationless caches.

http://www.web-ling.com http://www.ntxga.org

To be fair, I have gone on cache hunts with GPS carrying cachers, so I can't characterize all my finds as GPSless. I would have to say that my average find time is less when I go by myself. I prepare better, and get to the cache site much more quickly. Then I have the patience for a correct search. Multi's are the most satisfying to do without GPS. I know because local cachers have caused me to do 117(!) of them.

-WR

"Besides physical caches, we have VIRTUal and VIRTUeless."

Yeap, I know that feeling. I hardly ever get lost, and have a good sense of direction, the funny thing is the last time I really got lost was during a cache hunt were I depended too much on the GPSr and then got into tree cover and got turned around and could not get my signal back until my team was about a mile off course.

quote:
Originally posted by SearchRescueDog:

I dont use the gps until I think I am right on top of an area. I find that using the GPS there is the habit of looking down instead of looking around. I navigate mostly by terrain orientation and map. For me the whole reason to be out there is to see the landscape not my GPS.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I've had some fortune, some skill, and some help (in the last two) in finding my first three Traditional Caches (one of those multi/traditional, and two of them at night) using clues and maps and some cleverness in devising other ways of getting to the cache...all without GPS.

I have a long way to go before 470 like Web-ling, but with no GPS, it is far more satisfying, I think if I were to use GPS, I would feel like I was cheating to some degree.

______________________________________________ Kanto

NOTE: See my profile for updated Travel Bug info for Ontario, Canada.

[This message was edited by Kanto on July 19, 2003 at 11:17 PM.]

I meant to mention Web-ling in this thread, but I see he saw it first!

quote:
I think if I were to use GPS, I would feel like I was cheating to some degree.

GPS isn't cheating, most of us use one and the site is aimed at that. With that said, finding without a GPS is certainly possible and even impressive at times. And as you have started to see, can also be fun! icon_smile.gif

As for me, I'll stick with GPS, but I do think I need to learn orienteering. Seems like it could be useful knowledge!

pokeanim3.gif

See I don't even use the Hide-N-Seek feature of GeoCaching.com. I just let the cache locations come to me in a dream, ha ha. Just Kidding... I wish it worked that way.

In local news, GeoCacher NeuroNomad has proven his Remote Viewing ablilities to the world.

ha ha.

---------------------------------------------------------

I didn't intend to accuse anyone of cheating, it is just the way I see it for me. I am not about to judge other people's parameters...and I will eventually learn how to use GPS, because it could no doubt be very useful in other contexts.

Kanto, Anti-GPS (just kidding icon_razz.gif)

On most of them, if you read the clues you don't need the GPS... but then when there are multi caches or something, you totally need a gps..

There's also quite a few virtuals near athens, ga (uga campus - search 30605 zip) that you totally don't need a gps for... I have friends on the campus and I asked one if he recognized the tree by description (there are like six that are all trees) and he could tell me exactly where they were...

~fly46, GeoCacher who doesn't own a GPS