When am I a tourist?

To explain: We have family and in-laws scattered around Montana. We go to Great Falls, Chester (don't look for it on a map, it is too small) and Bozeman fairly often.

The Question: How far from home is considered a tourist cache? If we place in Cascade, Mt (near grandma's house) would we get hollered at for placing a "vacation" cache. It is 3.5 hours away, but we visit that area at least once every 2 months. Who says "vacation" and who says "reasonable"? When turning in the cache for approval should we state that the area is in our regular travels?

-Jennifer

Where am I going? I ain't certain.

When will I get there? I don't know.

All as I know is I am on my way!

The distance shouldn't mean a thing if you can check on it once in a while. Once every two months is about what I do to check on my caches that are farther away. You should be able to place the cache.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Faster than a dial-up Internet connection, stronger than any band nerd, look up at the sky! ....is it a bat..... no .....is it my grandma's mustache..... NO! IT'S RADMAN Version 2.0!

First I was thinking I'd agree with Radman, but then I got to thinking about problems that occur with new caches. Sometimes they are posted with coordinates that are pretty far off and the hider has to go recheck with a few days of hinding it.

It would also have to be disabled any time people report it missing or wet etc. until you would be going back. But it's better than not being able to go back at all.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

My vote goes for if you can get to it once a year. In remote areas this is more than enough. Plus if you have 'resources' and can take care of business even if you are not there you are still gettting the job done at other times.

I'm all over Southern Idaho and now that I've moved my range is going to be Southern Idaho Western Montana, Northern Utah, and Eastern Wyoming, and Northern Nevada.

Not every place appeals to me and if the locals are doing a great job placing caches I won't even be tempted (like in Utah).

Still Montana is wide open by and large and Wyoming even more still.

Wherever you go there you are.

I agree, RK, that Montana is pretty open. I wouldn't want a lot more "tourist" caches here, but caches placed by folks who live close enough to take care of them is a differently colored horse.

I also wouldn't place where there is current activity. Like in Bozeman or in Great Falls. But I was thinking more along the lines of a couple of neat areas on the way to them, that really aren't too near any current caches.

As to maintenance, With my work schedule, I could do cache maintenance within a week of hearing about a cache problem. And we would disable it immediately if there was a problem. I'd online enough to watch for that!

-Jennifer

Where am I going? I ain't certain.

When will I get there? I don't know.

All as I know is I am on my way!

If a problem is reported with the cache and you can't get there within a reasonable amount of time to address it, then it is a tourist cache.

What's a reasonable amount of time? I'll say a month or two, max.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Well my opinion is that after hunting several of these nice peoples caches last summer, I am pretty sure they know what they are doing and I think they should go for it.

Heck, I have caches that are 7 hours away - around 375 miles one way - and I do not consider myself as placing tourist caches. I am back there several times a year - I work there a lot - and I also have developed a network with the locals who are very prompt and reliable about checking caches with troubles.

Myself, I think if as a cache hider, your willing to travel to any place at least 4 times a year, plant away. That is unless your crowding out locals cachers with virtual and sign only micro caches.

More later.

logscaler.

quote:

What's a reasonable amount of time? I'll say a month or two, max.

I'd argue that. What about the different seasons? A cache I place in the summer may be inaccessible in the winter unless you own a snowmachine - I don't. So you couldn't find it in December but I won't be able to check it until April....

Adi

I would say an ability for the owner to visit the cache every three months, if necessary. This is why we have the "temporarily disable this cache" feature.

Now, if you ask me if we should limit the length of time a cache can be "temporarily disabled," I would answer "three months maximum," because unfortunately people (in my area, at least) are abusing the feature by "temporarily disabling" a cache and then never taking further action.

I suggest three months because that should reasonably cover one season, should a cache be inaccessible because of weather conditions.

Thanks for all your opinions. I now feel more comfortable with planning a few caches outside the Missoula area.

Logscaler- you thanks for the vote of confidence! We are looking forwards to visiting your caches at some point this summer.

-Jennifer

According to his or her personal experience, each person must decide by himself or herself where they have been. Always for me the most important thing is not where the others have gone but the experience lived through.-Reinhold Messner