"Don't get caught" caching idea...

Sissy-n-CR

This is inspired by Swamp Thing's Spying in Summervill and The Federation's series caches in Jacksonville, FL.

The main idea is a series of ultra visibility micro-caches with a bonus traditional. However, there is a twist, if you are the last person to log the cache before it goes missing, your log for that cache is deleted.

Step one: a single page listing a series of six micros which have logs, but you don't trade. Each micro is hidden in a very high visibility area like in plain sight of a truck stop, fast food joint, or bar, any place with lots of traffic and you being exposed. (The cache is hidden, YOU will be in plain sight.) Each cache is far enough apart you're likely to drive from spot to spot. However, each cache is very well hidden so it should take a bit of searching, thus likely to call attention to yourself.

Due to the difficulty of completing each find, and to keep it all together, you log each one seperately on the same page. It is set up like a series of traditional caches, not a single multi. If you successfully complete all six finds, you will get credit for 6 finds on that page. The primary cache--the one with the listed coordinates--will have full instructions as well. Each cache will have a difficulty of at least 2, probably 3. Terrain will be from 1.5 to 2.

Each cache will have a part of a code to complete a seperate bonus cache logged on a different page. There is a checksum so if one micro goes missing you can still complete the bonus cache. Also, the checksum can be used if you think one micro is just too high risk.

Step two: using at least 5 of the codes from the micros, you can find a bonus traditional large sized cache to trade. At least there's something at the end. The coordinates are set to zeros so it will not show up on a local search. In the cache will be the waypoint number so you're able to log it.

Here's the kicker, if a step one cache goes missing for whatever reason, any reason, the last person to log that particular cache has their log, and thus credit for the find, deleted. You must sign the physical log to get credit or your log is deleted. You can't wait to log your visit until someone else logs the find. (cheating) If you think the cache is too high risk, skip it. If you think the cache is exposed to casual passersby and likely to be compromised, skip it. (...or log it and hope someone else logs it before it goes missing.)

See, the trick is to not be the last person to find the cache before it goes missing. You will probably need to hunt some of these caches at odd hours, like 3am. If you are able to fully complete the series and you're not the last person to find the cache you get credit for 7 finds.

I had though about if you're the last finder you lose credit for the entire series, but thought that may be a little too much.

Thoughts?

CR

72057_2000.gif

It seems a little to intense for my tastes and time availability.

Probably would hunt part of the cache if it would count for partial credit or it could be hunted over several days.

If the caches are going to go missing and my log entry is going to get deleted because I was the last one there on the log, why shouldn't a player just take the caches as they find them without logging into the website, thus scr@wing other players?

Also, I could see someone trying to wreak vengance by taking one of the micros or some other portable cache and moving it (like onto Federal property, or some other bad place) if you deleted some hard core player's log.

Me, I am not that hard core, I would just look at the long list of caches to find yet, and would go on by yours.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

I get it, and I think it's a great idea...

If you are not stealthy in your finding, the cache winds up picked up by some non-cacher and it is assumed that since you are the last one to hunt it you must have given it away, so you lose your log.... ingenius.

The only problem I see is if someone legitimately finds the thing with no fault to anyone and you wind up deleting someone's log that did everything right.... but still, you know that going in, just like a terrain rating, right?

For those that want to practive being spys this is a great cache idea. Tradecraft includes placing intel and recovering intel from dead drops, which are all caches are in the first place. Instead of chalk marks on a fence or lightpole we use a web site to let us know there is something to pick up at the dead drop. Instead of already knowing where the dead drop is we add the aspect of having to use a GPS to hunt it, otherwise,we are all being spys every time we hunt....LOL. I know, I know, not really, but I think this is a fun idea.

Reminds me of the TV commercial of the guys playing the assault type video game online against an opponent, only they don't know they are actually playing a team of Navy Seals, who kick their butt throughly. I love that one.

Go for it, if it was near Houston, Texas I'd hunt it. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

A mobile cache was being run around here. When it disappeared the owners deleted the last log (we had been warned) and posted a note with that final log copied into it. That way the last placement was still available, but the placer didn't get a log for it. It hasn't been replaced but was fun for the little while it lasted. I don't know if I'd go for yours, it would be too easy to get blamed for one going missing if someone wanted to screw with people.

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Probably would hunt part of the cache if it would count for partial credit or it could be hunted over several days.

It could be hunted over several days and you'd get credit for whichever caches of the series you did find. I really don't think losing credit for the entire series is right, I only threw that out there as it was my first thought. You'd only lose the one(s) that were compromised.

The idea of losing credit for a find is adding extra incentive to be extra careful. This would discourage the attitude of caring less if the next person got it--you want the next person to find and log it. When the next person logs that cache, your find is "locked in." Plus, it adds the element of judging the cache integrity. When you find it, you'll have to ask yourself if you can retreive it, sign the log, and return it without someone getting curious enough to come over and see what the hell you were doing and find the cache themselves.

Yes, I want this one to be intense. I want you to have an adrenaline rush. I want it to be difficult. I want you to watch the cache page to see if someone else is hunting the cache and logs it after you. This is not designed to be your weekend exercise.

I am open to any ideas other than deleting logs. I had thought about if someone finds the caches and then someone else comes along and logs them, I'd email the coordinates to the bonus cache to the previous finder. Problem is I want visiters to be able to find the whole series without having to wait for emails or another information.

What about this, you find and log the cache, but only as a note, not a find. When the next person finds the cache, the previous finder can change the log to a find and is then able to take credit. It's a little PIA, but heck, you can get credit for up to 7 finds.

This way you can hunt the whole series and get credit for the bonus cache right away--kind of like a multi. Plus you get credit for each micro when the next person finds it.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I guess I'm missing something. If three people find it on the same day, and it goes missing, how do you know who found it last?

Are you just going to delete the last log?

You're right, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it would addressed in my above post at the bottom. Finds are posted as notes until the next finder logs. If you're the last finder you can't convert your note to a find.

...or you can just hunt it as a multi and forget about logging the finds for the micros... (the micros give you the coordinates to the 'bonus' cache.)

On any one particular day, does the logs go in order of who logs first? If so, that's a disadvantage to visitors to the area. Not good.

Still thinking...

CR

72057_2000.gif

I think it sounds like a whole bunch of fun! I'd try to talk the family into taking a trip to hunt it. And if your log is deleted, that's the chance you take. We always breathe a sigh of relief after someone finds a cache after us. You always run the risk of being caught. I think this sounds great!

ntga_button.gif

But people don't log or note in the same order they find.

Some may not get in to a PC for days. and if the log goes missing you have no way of knowing in what order...

.. so let's see "A" connects to "C" and "C" goes under the fastener "27" while I hold "F" as in this view. Now, "G" slides through "A" and the results is the clue to the first cache. ..oops it slipped ...OK, now I got'a start all over..

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

Although I like the idea over all I see another problem.

All you'd have to do to lock in your find is to post date it. The site allows you to put any date you'd like on the find log and it's sorted accordingly.

And if the cache turns up missing, you'd never have the log to double check if the dates were correct or not.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

well I don't what thats means. Since The Federation was given some credit for inspiration I felt inclined to post on this one. Sissy I would hunt these caches although from my series of caches as you have experienced lasted longer than I thought they might. The ultra high visiblity is definetly a rush but I would not delete logs. I am just personally a little uncomfortable with that idea. Having 2 differnt sets of micros on the site it has been easier managing the series where I didn't have to email bonus coordinates, just include the coordinates in some fashion in the micros. If you are interested take a look at the Musecachers Challenge 2 it was set up with actual and micros that led to 2 bonus type caches. Please let the federation know if you get this approved we drive hundreds of mile to do micros and Feburary looks open .

The Federation

I appreciate everyone's input. It seems as this idea is a bust. There are too many ways around the spirit of the core idea of waiting for the next person to find and log.

I did think of a way to sequence finds though if anyone is interested. (Even though it wouldn't work here.) In the cache you have a strip of paper with a list of numbers or letters--basically codes. Each person tears off the bottom-most code and takes it with them. They then post this number on the page when they log. This way, no matter how they log on the site, you'll know in what order the finders were. Even if someone takes a code but never logs it, it doesn't diminish the accuracy of the order of the other finders.

It wouldn't work here because someone could take a code but doesn't log until the next person logs. If so happen the cache goes missing, the previous person would be blamed. I know I'd be a little ticked over that.

Anyway, I can't think of a way to make this work without it either getting far too cumbersome on my part or it having the potential of being unfair.

I think I'll just make it a series of micros that leads to a bonus cache if you complete at least 5 of the 6. It'll just be a matter of pride that someone is able to find it after you. This way it'd should have all of the fun, but none of the negative. (Unless you're caught!)

Thanks everyone for the input!

CR

72057_2000.gif

Another problem is that these caches would often be found and removed by non-cachers. I wouldn't want to waste time going to hunt for caches that aren't there. Sure, there's always a chance of that, but I think it would be MUCH higher for the kind of caches you describe.

I do like the idea of hiding coordinates in public places- taped on the back of signs, under tables, in library books, on bulletin boards...

"Everybody wants to save the world, but nobody wants to help mom with the dishes," -P.J. O'Rourke

quote:
Originally posted by Team Screamapillar:

I do like the idea of hiding coordinates in public places- taped on the back of signs, under tables, in library books, on bulletin boards...

There's an excellent 13 stage here that ends with a challenging micro similar to what you discribe. The fact that we knew he was looking for us to find the drops added to the excitment. If we got caught, we'd be in the "Bad Spy" column. Too bad Swamp Thing doesn't put out very many caches, they are all very clever.

But I also liked The Federation's series of micros in Jacksonville. Of the ones we hunted, only one was missing. My only complaints would be having to email them for the bonus cache and the fact one of the caches was missing so we couldn't complete the series and qualify for the bonus.

Jumping out of the car and acting like we know what we're doing is a rush. Keeping an eye out for police, security, grounds maintenence, etc. adds to the thrill. Reading some of the logs for The Federation's Loop Caches and Mirco series you'd understand. CACHES HIDDEN BY THE FEDERATION

These caches are not meant to be lost. The challenge is to get'em, log'em, and return'em without getting caught or compromising the cache.

It's a rush.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Deleting a find is BAD MOJO. It could really tick someone off or turn them off. What if you just came across geocaching and one of these was your first find. You would be bumbling around not use to stealth mode in public and sure enough, someone would be behind you to mess up your find. Then to add insult to your pride of your first find, the cache owner deletes your find, after all your hard work. You would say to heck with this mess and never be heard from again. We need Good-Will not Bad-Taste-In-The-Mouth publicity.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.