Caches with locks.

I am pretty new to this and wondered if there was any precedent for hiding an urban cache with a combination lock where the combination is posted on the cache page? I have a location in mind that would work easily this way and was curious how the community would receive this concept.

It's a fine idea that's been done many times. Put one out for folks in your area to enjoy! It's more fun if you make them figure out the combination by solving some sort of puzzle.

Also, one cautionary note. You mentioned an urban location. If you do that, please be sure your padlocked container is well-hidden, and marked with "GEOCACHE" and contact information on the outside. Otherwise, it's a bomb squad call just waiting to happen (and it may happen anyways). If I were to hide one like this, I'd put it out in the woods somewhere.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Yes, there is one near me where the cache is in a locked cage attached to a compost bin in the hider's back yard. It is right next to the fence, and you get to it by walking through the park and reaching over the fence to unlock the cage.

Great cache right out there in the open for all to see, but few to access.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

One of my favorite caches (long ago archived) was a multi. First stage was a small block of wood hidden in a tree. It had the coordiates to the next stage, and 3 numbers you were told to write down (without explanation). Once you get to the final stage, you find a small box locked to a pipe under a bridge (this was pre 9/11). The numbers, of course, were the combination to the lock.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

We had a cache in the Cleveland area that had a keyed lock. the keys were scattered in various caches. If you were lucky, you found a key in some other cache. The hunt for the key was fun. Problem was the actual cache was a letdown. Your idea of a combination lock sounds great. But don't just give the combination on the cache page. Make folks work for it by finding the numbers at other locations.

Dorothy: "How can you talk if haven't got a brain?" Scarecrow: "I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

We have a cache that uses a key to open it. It is called Success. The cache has a keyed lock on it. To find the key you need to find the Key to Success Travel Bug. The TB is hidden in a local cache somewhere within about 20 miles from the cache.

There is another cache that has a combination lock on it. It is Gotta Love the Quad. Basically the cache has a tag on it with coordinates to several places around town. When you arrive at the place, you have to figure out what is in the area that has a number on it (address, number as part of the name of the place, etc). After you have the numbers, you go back to the cache and figure out which order the numbers go to open the lock.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo