Approve or Reject This Cache

J Seward Johnson has created some highly unusual public pieces of art. The vast majority of them depict people in everyday activites, taking picture, reading the paper, talking with others, etc. made of bronze they are so lifelike that people think they're real people.

Go to his site & take a look, they're quite amazing. I ran into one of his non-human sculptures & didn't realize what an accomplished artist he was till someone else pointed it out to me. I decided to create a locationless cache based on it.

It seems since he is still alive & he does sell his work, it was too commercial? Come on guys, let's not be rules lawyers. I don't think this comes anywhere near being commercial, but even if it does toe the line there are other LC that are certainly far more commercial then this (yellow Jeep, hot dog, the hershey kiss, and many others) I mean does anyone seriously think anyone will be influenced in anyway to buy his artwork based on this geocache? As my grandfather would say "Pish-posh!" I actually was quite surprised, as I was at the site & saw no mention anywhere regarding the sale of his art. The closest I could find was a reference that you can obtain a catalog by writing to them. THAT makes this commercial?

Pish.

Posh.

If you think it is indeed commercial, please tell me what exactly makes it so? As I said I can't locate any reference on his site to selling his art. If he's not selling, then what makes it commercial? I am clueless

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

[This message was edited by Gwho on October 06, 2002 at 07:36 PM.]

I guess I don't understand the definition of commmercial. I don't see a problem with having that be a cache. The second link only takes me to the hide and seek page.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Proud New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

No offense, but i'm not sure i like the idea of looking for a locationless cache based on artists, alive or dead.

Would you approve a locationless based on Michael Graves' architecture? The people at Target would have a field day.

I'm not a big fan of locationless caches anyway, so my opinion is biased, at best.

Oh, and 'Yellow Jeep' is only acceptable via the Grandfather clause. I don't know if it's a valid comparison anymore.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Gwho, your cache wasn't denied. It was archived with the following message:

Since this is an active artist with a web site promoting his work please run this by jeremy per the rules

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp

on caches that could be percieved to be of a commercial nature.

thanks,

erik - geocaching.com admin

PLEASE RUN IT BY JEREMY AS REQUESTED IN BOTH THOSE GUIDELINES AND BY THE CACHE REVIEWER AND QUITE POSSIBLY IT WILL BE POSTED.

THANK YOU.

Thanks. Since is the first I've seen of this (I haven't checked my email today and most of yesterday, so it may have come through), it seems ok, and I approved it.

I think I'll add that, in the future, if you do create a locationless cache, the name of the cache should be what you're looking for. As we have more locationless caches,

"Sir, do you have the time? Sir? Sir? What the?!?!?"

as a name doesn't really tell anyone what it is. "J Seward Johnson Lifelike Sculptures" makes more sense, as people can quickly see what you are asking people to find. I'll probably post another message about it later.

And seriously, take a few breaths before getting bent out of shape.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

if you do create a locationless cache, the name of the cache should be what you're looking for. As we have more locationless caches,

as a name doesn't really tell anyone what it is. "J Seward Johnson Lifelike Sculptures" makes more sense,

you're right of course. I probably will change the title.

quote:

Bent? I said "pish posh" how does that make me bent? Sounds like Erik got more bent then I did. I just wanted to know what people thought is all. Apparently Erik's the one with his undies in a twist over my asking for outside input. I suggest he takre a breathe before he hits that caps lock button again in a forum post. icon_razz.gif

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

if you do create a locationless cache, the name of the cache should be what you're looking for. As we have more locationless caches,

as a name doesn't really tell anyone what it is. "J Seward Johnson Lifelike Sculptures" makes more sense,

you're right of course. I probably will change the title.

quote:

Bent? I said "pish posh" how does that make me bent? Sounds like Erik got more bent then I did. I just wanted to know what people thought is all. Apparently Erik's the one with his undies in a twist over my asking for outside input. I suggest he takre a breathe before he hits that caps lock button again in a forum post. icon_razz.gif

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

Since this is an active artist with a web site promoting his work please run this by jeremy per the rules

well lemme think about this for a second. I have been told it needs jeremy approval because it may be perceived to be commercial. I know you all talk about caches & approvals, modern wonders was bandied about repeatedly behind the scenes. Since I was being told to talk to Jeremy myself (and it wasn't brought to him behind the scenes) I take this to mean "defend yourself"

Furthermore this won't be approved without my requesting someone else to approve it. If I don't pursue this it will remain unapproved. Maybe I read too much into the 1st part, but I do know this: if it hasn't been approved & it's beene examined, then I consider it to be rejected unless I'm in the middle of a dialogue about it (which wasn't the case here). Call it whatever word you want.

I decided to get public input on the potential commericialness of the concept. Nothing wrong with that is there? icon_cool.gif

Amazingly a number of people think it is commerical (based on poll results) I admit I am surprised. I'm still not sure what would make it commercial. His works are most commissioned and for companies or cities. Is there a gallery of his works for sale? If there is, you'd be hard pressed to get info off his site....

But is irelevant I guess, since it's been approved. thanks to those who took time to vote (regardless of what the vote was). It's been illuminating.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

well lemme think about this for a second. I have been told it needs jeremy approval because it may be perceived to be commercial. I know you all talk about caches & approvals, modern wonders was bandied about repeatedly behind the scenes. Since I was being told to talk to Jeremy myself (and it wasn't brought to him behind the scenes) I take this to mean "defend yourself"

Furthermore this won't be approved without my requesting someone else to approve it. If I don't pursue this it will remain unapproved. Maybe I read too much into the 1st part, but I do know this: if it hasn't been approved & it's beene examined, then I consider it to be rejected unless I'm in the middle of a dialogue about it (which wasn't the case here). Call it whatever word you want.

I decided to get public input on the potential commericialness of the concept. Nothing wrong with that is there? icon_cool.gif

Amazingly a number of people think it is commerical (based on poll results) I admit I am surprised. I'm still not sure what would make it commercial. His works are most commissioned and for companies or cities. Is there a gallery of his works for sale? If there is, you'd be hard pressed to get info off his site....

But is irelevant I guess, since it's been approved. thanks to those who took time to vote (regardless of what the vote was). It's been illuminating.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

...they don't look that lifelike to me. Maybe the photo's don't do them justice.

They do not. I remember being in New York walking to Grand Central one late night after a broadway show and being spooked by the guy working out of his briefcase on a park bench at 10:30 at night. icon_eek.gif Of course, it was dark, and I was much younger. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

...they don't look that lifelike to me. Maybe the photo's don't do them justice.

They do not. I remember being in New York walking to Grand Central one late night after a broadway show and being spooked by the guy working out of his briefcase on a park bench at 10:30 at night. icon_eek.gif Of course, it was dark, and I was much younger. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

"Grungy Gas Station Restroom cache" - photos of gas station bathrooms - looking for the worst.

Maybe not exactly what you had in mind:

http://www.cromwell-intl.com/toilet/

----------

_Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him._

How about.... http://www.urinal.net/

Illegitimus non carborundum!