Finding a missing GPS

HartClimbs

Any suggestions on how to find a GPS receiver dropped in the snow? I know approximately the area but I've retraced my steps several times and no luck.

I was thinking of finding someone with a metal detector (I'd think the batteries would cause it to register) but figured it was worth posting a question here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

The area's pretty swampy - so simply waiting until the snow melts (and the ice melts as well) will probably mean the end of the unit.

Ok....stop laughing...any ideas?

Make the area ya dropped it an event cache!

Seriously, Might be able to get a group of local cachers together to form a search party for it. Even if the snow hasnt melted, inless its a hevily traveled area, theres just your footprints, and the whole the GPS made in the snow. Shouldn't be that hard to trace back your steps.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Thanks for the suggestions (I especially like the event cache idea - I'm always up for a party). I managed to quickly get my hands on a metal detector and will head back early tomorrow.

When I was off placing the cache today (when I lost the GPS), I was surprised at how much hiking activity the small park gets, but I retraced my convoluted path (twice) before the light gave out and didn't see any trace (I expected to find a hole where the GPS landed but no dice).

Good tip on the lanyard as well. I was using the beltclip on the Rino and (heads up Rino users), apparently the post that screws into the unit can unscrew pretty easily. Live and learn but I'll be finding this thing (hopefully) at first light tomorrow. I finished up the search by headlamp but it should be easier in daylight.

I guess there's nothing left to do now but go out, shoot some pool, and drink....

- Hopefully still a GPS owner

quote:
Originally posted by TahoeJoe:

I dropped my cell phone in the snow before Christmas and found it about two weeks ago.

Under similar circumstances, I borrowed another cell phone and called mine. Just doesn't work with a GPS.

-WR

"Besides physical caches, we have VIRTUal and VIRTUeless."

A cache to find the GPS is a good idea.

Today I droped my cell in the parking lot of a HomeDepot. When I figured out what had happened I returned and found no phone, nor at the desk. Then I called and had the phone disabled via an automatic system. Then, when I called the phone to see that it was disabled a man answered. I ask him who he was and how he got that phone. He ask if I was the owner and met me at a Blockbuster to return it to me, had been waiting for the owner to call to ask for it. I called the phone service to disable the disable, and was informed the automatic phone disable system was temporally disabled. I have the phone and all is well.... GO FIGURE!

... still waiting to see if I also won the lottery.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

I was using the beltclip on the Rino and (heads up Rino

Was it still on? maybe you can call it with another FRS and listen for it? Batteries probably dead by now though.

Where ya loose it?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Found. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I had the radio on the Rino off (to conserve power), but heading back in the light of day (with a metal detector for good measure) proved to be the trick.

Look for a new cache in the Morristown area being posted shortly. (maybe I'll call it "where's my #!#!!! GPS?".)

- Hart

Glad you found it. If your one of those people who looses stuff all the time (I'm not saying you are though) I would recommend one of those Remote Finders by sharper image. I bought one for my parents and they love it. I"m just wanting for them to loose the finder unit now icon_smile.gif

Also next time since you enjoy placing caches I'm sure those who have enjoyed your previous caches will be more then happy to head out and help find it next time. Always nice to help fellow cachers if needed.