Do you carry a logbook?

Sissy-n-CR

We carry a logbook and log all of our adventures. This is a holdover from letterboxing. It also helps in that it keeps track of TB numbers, what we did with each cache, etc. We also put custom stamps in each box we place so people can stamp their log.

However, I'm curious just how many cachers carry a log. Thus the poll:

-- Insert pithy aphorism here --

Nah, I log everything on my cache page printouts.

But

I want to get away from that and am in the process of doing so with EasyGPS working for me on my gpsr and my palm. I would like to have a log book for keeping additional info on but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it would be a lot of work to keep up also. I guess i could make better use of the online log that I do for each cache and put extra info there. I have wanted to build an excel spreadsheet with all kinds of info. Cache, Date, Time, Weather, condition of the cache, contents, surroundings (sp?), Park, Notes and so on and so forth, that would be nice to view in the future and run the numbers to see average the caches per month. However, maybe one day.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I used to carry the cache page printout and write any necessary info on the back. Now that I have a Palm, I just jot down anything the on the notepad page.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
I have wanted to build an excel spreadsheet with all kinds of info. Cache, Date, Time, Weather, condition of the cache, contents, surroundings (sp?), Park, Notes and so on and so forth, that would be nice to view in the future and run the numbers to see average the caches per month. However, maybe one day.

There are a couple Palm programs that have been put together that do this for you . . except for the averaging part.

I use Natara's DayNotez as a work journal on my Palm and have put together a template that allows me to record information at a cache fairly quickly. It's basically for me to remember some of the details I want to record when I get back home and log the caches.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I used to try to write everything in a log book. That took too much effort. Now I write everything on my palm. But, if I wash my hands the information is gone. As far as carrying a log goes, nahhhh they're too heavy. I might hide a cache in one.

Kidding aside. I carry a small note pad and just write what I took and what I left and any TB #'s and let Groundspeak keep my logs for me.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

[This message was edited by Planet on November 02, 2002 at 12:16 PM.]

I just started using one a couple weeks ago.

But I mainly needed it to keep track of changes in descriptions and which benchmarks I have/have not found and why. This is so benchmarks I could not find, and that are not obviously gone, I can try to find at a later date.

Then I figured, what the heck, I might as well make notes on my caching in it too... icon_smile.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

However, I'm curious just how many cachers carry a log.

You left off an option: Other than in the cache log book and the cache page, I don't log my finds. I might note the location of the area, especially if I want to hike there again, but I don't memorialize the find in any way.

To be, it's the doing that's important, not the paper trail.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green