Geocaching Cinema?

HardCache

So I sit down to watch a movie with my wife tonight and we select Cliffhanger because she thinks Sly is hot and I think Janine Turner is hot.

About 30 minutes into the film, it suddenly occurs to me that I'm watching Ridiculously Extreme Geocaching...sort of:

People are wandering around in the mountains looking for hidden containers with a tracking device that is kind of like a combination ham radio fox-hunt receiver and a gps. Sly performs amazing physical feats to get to these hidden containers before the bad guys and, as usual, kills them all.

Of course, after mentioning this, my wife asks me if I would strip down to a tank top and climb a frozen waterfall to get to a cache to which I replied, "If someone puts 30 million dollars in a cache I'll give it a try."

Cache report: Took 30 million dollars, left Burger King keyring, Rogaine pen and the keys to my beat up truck which I'll no longer need because now I can afford a Hummer.

At any rate, after regaling you with my rambling, can you suggest other films, television shows or literature that feature geocaching or something at least vaguely like it? Stretching, grasping at straws and blatant manipulation of plot, theme and character arc are acceptable.A

Let's see--just a partial list, mind you--"Rat Race", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "Raider's of the Lost Ark", or any of the three Indiana Jones movies, and as long as I'm on Steven Spielberg, in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", didn't they determine that the aliens were sending lat. and lon. coordinates, that pointed to the Devil's Tower?

Think Globally, Act Locally

Look under the rock that doesn't belong there! This is one of my favorite movies. I loved the scene where he plays the record so much I watched it three times so I could read the name of "the Marriage of Figaro" by Mozart on the record cover, and downloaded it from Napster. It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

We have a cache around here that says look under the rock that doesn't belong there. And it doesn't!

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by HardCache:

At any rate, after regaling you with my rambling, can you suggest other films, television shows or literature that feature geocaching or something at least vaguely like it? Stretching, grasping at straws and blatant manipulation of plot, theme and character arc are acceptable.A

"They Might Be Giants" -- One of my brother-in-law's favorite movies could be said to have a multi-stage puzzle cache. :-)

Richard.

What? Deliverance? Of course.

The Cahulawassee River is the cache.

Four geocachers go into the wilderness looking for something, only they don't realize they're looking for anything. Along the way they lose a member of their group, meet some locals & try not to be seen.

Finally, they stumble out of the forest, grungy & exhausted.

Signed the log:

Left Drew & a Local

Took Many Secrets and a New Outlook on Life

- "This river don?t go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn." -

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - a Locationless. Two exist, but the French have one and won't let you see it.....[edit] gets a 5 star difficulty for killer rabbits....

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - you don't know what a cache is or why you're here to find one, and you could never possibly understand all the buttons on you GPS, but if only you could get two hours of sleep it would all be clear....

I'm afraid I have no choice but to sell you all for medical experiments.

Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

_Monty Python and the Holy Grail _ - a Locationless. Two exist, but the French have one and won't let you see it.....[edit] gets a 5 star difficulty for killer rabbits....

That's a multi-cache. Don't forget about the shrubbery and mackeral. Plus it requires special knowledge of the migratory patterns of the various swallow species and general info about coconuts.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.