Any DEAF or BLIND geocachers?

robert

Strange that someone brought this thread up. I was just thinking a couple of days ago about how to make a cache you could hear, or feel your way to. But I'm not sure how a blind person would use a gps to navigate to the coordinates. Perhaps there are some pocket pc's that you could connect a gps to that have a speech recognition interface. You could make other cachers do it blindfolded (honor system) for an interesting experience.

96920_1100.jpg

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

Strange that someone brought this thread up. I was just thinking a couple of days ago about how to make a cache you could hear, or feel your way to. But I'm not sure how a blind person would use a gps to navigate to the coordinates. Perhaps there are some pocket pc's that you could connect a gps to that have a speech recognition interface. You could make other cachers do it blindfolded (honor system) for an interesting experience.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/96920_1100.jpg

Interesting idea!

My brother has been geocaching with another team. He doesn't log his finds but he happens to be deaf.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Thanks for the replies so far! I thought the same thing about the Blind being able to use a GPS. There are computer programs that speak and I was curious if the GPS programs were compatible with it. I doubt they are, because I think that has to be built into the program.

As for Deaf going geocaching, I figured there'd be a few! I have a friend who uses a laptop with a GPS and he's crazy about it so pointed him in the direction of this site to check it out.

Thanks again for the replies, keep 'em coming!

~robert

(that's mrkablooey, not kablooey)

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

I doubt they are, because I think that has to be built into the program.

Speaking as someone who does that for a living, I think you're wrong. However, I'm not aware of any screen readers for PocketPCs yet, so our hypothetical blind geocacher would have to tote a laptop around.

In addition to a general-purpose screen reader working with a GPS program, there are also some special-purpose programs that work with GPS and speak, with the goal of enabling blind people to do most of the things that currently require a guide dog. They're not likely to be too useful for geocaching, though.

pirate.cgi.gif

I'd need to do some additional research, but I was emailed by a blind person a few months back. He used a GPS unit to navigate around his town and wanted to get involved. I would be open to suggestions on a cache that a blind person could find.

I am aware of a cache out there where you clap and it has an item in the cache that will beep at you. That would certainly work. We could work on particularly smelly caches but I think the geomuggles would figure it out.

One last neat idea would be to create a braille cache in an area that is easily navigated, and conceal the braille somehow. Folks that aren't blind would have to learn some braille to find out what the message said to log it. I believe that would be a more than appropriate virtual cache.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

There is a Braille Institute down the street from my house. I'll check in there and see if they have any suggestions. I'm sure if we could work this out, this would serve as a great way to build some good relations with our sport.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

In Pittsburgh there is a nature trail especially constructed for blind hikers. There is a rope all along the trail that you can guide your hand along, and the trail itself is root-free. Braille and text plaques along the way explain the smells and sounds of the forest... the trail goes along a babbling brook. I think this is a fantastic idea.

There is a cache just past the far end of this loop trail. As I was doing the cache, I thought "wouldn't it be cool if a blind person could find the cache?" But the hider missed the opportunity. There was a 250 foot bushwack on uneven terrain once you left the trail.

A trail like this could easily have a physical cache accessible by the blind. Just use letterboxing clues. "30 feet down the trail from the plaque that talks about ferns, duck under the rope and walk 25 feet perpendicular to the rope. There is a large hollow tree. Walk around to the back of the hollow tree and find the opening, where the cache is hiding."

I don't know any blind people that I could try out this idea on. I do know one deaf, dumb and blind kid. He's not interested in geocaching, but he sure plays a mean pinball.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

I'd need to do some additional research, but I was emailed by a blind person a few months back. He used a GPS unit to navigate around his town and wanted to get involved. I would be open to suggestions on a cache that a blind person could find.

I am aware of a cache out there where you clap and it has an item in the cache that will beep at you. That would certainly work. We could work on particularly smelly caches but I think the geomuggles would figure it out.

One last neat idea would be to create a braille cache in an area that is easily navigated, and conceal the braille somehow. Folks that aren't blind would have to learn some braille to find out what the message said to log it. I believe that would be a more than appropriate virtual cache.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Good idea, Jeremy!

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

There is a Braille Institute down the street from my house. I'll check in there and see if they have any suggestions. I'm sure if we could work this out, this would serve as a great way to build some good relations with our sport.

http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru/images/stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

Dru,

This cache has been archived since both of us did it, but it seems like the Braille Trail there at Pierce would be perfect for placing a new one along these lines.

UPDATE: Huh, it looks like there's another missing cache nearby too. But this one is suspended not archived. It appears to have been a vacation cache, now missing for 4+ months and and unrepaired for 3+ months per the logs. I would think that a new one by locals would take priority. Ideas?

2ND UPDATE: The placer of the 2nd cache referenced above hasn't found a cache in 5+ months. That would lean towards inactivity, I'd think.

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

[This message was edited by CurlyKrakow on July 20, 2003 at 11:09 AM.]

In fact, a blindfold might be the best way to hide the cache. Blindfold yourself, bring a friend, and listen to the sounds you hear. You could potentially make a picture of the sounds in an area, and use them as a guide to placing the cache. A blind person who relies on hearing to navigate should have no problem picking up on clues with their heightened sense of hearing.

I'm not sure how you would go about a logbook if the cache is a physical. Probably they could leave a signiture item as confirmation.

A micro attached to the underside of a handrail, or something that can be followed by touch would be useful. It would be great if there were a way to make a multi, braille coordinates leading to another location.

96920_1100.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Would a muggle who steps on a branch and snap it set the beeper off? Could be a problem with curious muggles! Its a good idea, but I think this one would take a lot of thought.