Have you ever not found a 1.5 cache?

The first I'm pretty sure was missing or misplaced since I asked someone who had found it and he agreed I was looking in the right spot. I emailed the owner but haven't received an answer back and it hasn't been archived.

The second was placed in a tupperware in a black plastic garbage bag and placed next to a fairly busy narrow dirt road. The place was strewn with garbage and inhabited by dollar sized spiders. I didn't waste much time looking. The site led to a cool boat dock and fishing spot a little ways further that I didn't know was there so all is forgiven. I logged it as a no find to keep myself honest. icon_rolleyes.gif

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

I've missed 1/1 caches that I can't imagine, upon returning how I missed. So, if I think I did a good job of searching, I log a DNF, indicating that it was probably my bad day and not a missing cache.

To date, there's only one DNF on my list that *might* turn out to be an actual missing cache.

(out of 8 that are still outstanding)

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

I've logged several no-finds for level one difficulty. One was verified missing. One was a virt, but the hider reverified the coordinates and I found it later. And finally, one looks like it may be in a place where it shouldn't be, so I've written it off.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Surprisingly, only twice. In one case, I take issue with the one star rating, but it was also one of my first. In the second case, I wasn't aware that a park trail went underneath two major roads, so I thought the cache couldn't be in the park. I still got within 500 feet of it, but I was in a filthy swamp behind some apartment buildings.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I would take issue with a 1 star rating that I couldn't find. 1 star is supposed to mean that the cache is in plain sight, or its location is obvious.

Similarly, a 1 star terrain rating means a paved path that is handicap accessable. A lot of people don't rate their caches, both terrain-wise and difficulty, properly.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

I voted #2 but I don't assume the owner should go check to see if it's still there. I first assume I couldn't find it. I assume an owner would wait for another no find at least before running out there to see if it's still there.

Also, I don't search for caches where the last post was a no find.

Alan

I have three DNFs, two 2.5s and one 1.5, all on the same buisness trip to Albuquerque.

One the 1.5 I searched for quite a while, and was positve I was in the correct area, but finally had to give up. I logged it as such and noticed that a local cacher had been skunked on this one as well (twice that day). As we were the first ones to try finding it, something wasn't right. The cache hider saw our DNFs and discovered that he had left off a crucial detail that leads you right to the cache. Too bad that was on my last day in town.

One of the 2.5s that I DNFed was also a new cache, and that same local cacher couldn'y find it either (I guess I shoulda teamed up with him...coulda saved some work). The coords didn't match the description at all. Turns out the hider transposed a couple of digits.

The last DNF was a micro in a wrecked F-4 jet. I finally gave up after 45 minutes of looking. Since then, others have found it, so it was there, it just defeated me icon_eek.gif

I've noticed that I have yet to have a DNF when I have the whole team with me, or at home....of course, I probably just jinxed myself icon_biggrin.gif

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

Personally, I don't take difficulty ratings so seriously any more. At the extremes, some 1-star caches have taken me the better part of an hour to find while recently, a 4-star cache was in the first spot I checked! Plus, you have to consider that if you're not the first finder, other cachers may have re-hidden the cache better or worse than it originally was hidden.