Is a compass considered specialized equipment?

Jomarac5

I'm considering placing a cache that would require using a compass to locate the final position as it is under a heavily treed canopy.

A signal would not be possible anywhere in the immediate proximity of the hiding location.

A GPSr would be used to get fairly close to the cache but to find the exact cache location, the finder would have to navigate a trail system using compass bearings and distances (in order to eliminate the possiblity of needless bushwacking).

Would such a cache have to be rated a 5 for needing specialized equipment? i.e., a compass?

-----

I have a couple of caches that I feel

a compass is needed for.I put it on the

cache page,to prevent a needless walk or

excessive searching.I think a compass is

almost just as important as the GPSr.

Many people upload the coords and forget

the details before they hunt the cache,

but they were warned icon_smile.gif .

Seatrout

Yes. I do not ever use a compass while caching normally. I bought one specifically for a cache that required one.

However it's common enough in geocaching to where you could just state you need one in your description (and I've used my GPS compass in a pinch) and call it a normal cache.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Is a GPS considered specialized equipment? How about a pen? Flashlight? Naw....

One definition of 'specialized' equipment would be 'Anything you don't have with you at the time that you need', but I'd take it more to mean 'Anything above and beyond what a dayhiker would have'.

I'd think after a while, most folks tend to hike with some basics that tend to be useful. Most folks don't hike with climbing gear (with some notable exceptions!). If I saw a terrain 5 - I'd do some research in advance to try to anticipate the challenge, but I'd expect it to take a couple visits (possibly one to scout the equipment needed, another to bag the cache).

I'd just put a note in your page that the cache may include some 'orientiering challenges' - and rate the cache on the normal scale!

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Specialized Equipment is defined as: Equipment that requires some degree of training to be employed safely and effectively. Examples would be climbing ropes/harnesses and S.C.U.B.A.

The I guess the car/truck you used to get there would be definded as special equipment. Does it ever end? As far as a compass? No...

Rino 110

MeriGreen 128

I tried a Sighting compass early on before I had a Vista, and now a Meridian Platinum.

Back then you also had these maps:

1704vanderaaHMM.jpg

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=15860531

Back then there was something called Terra Incognita(or unknown lands),which was the western USA.

Would be interesting if somebody came up with Flintstones GPS

A lot of people will not even bother to check your cache page if they see 5 stars. Better you just say that a compass is needed in the text of the cache page and rate it with "regular" stars. Anyway, in my opinion, a compass isn't really specialized equipment anymore than hiking boots.

Alan

Jomarac,

Nice cache site, nice cache page, nice twist with the compass. I also have a multicache that requires using a compass bearing. Using a number found at the site, you use the bearing to navigate to one of several possible entrances to a hedgerow maze. Choose the wrong entrance and you get chewed up and spit out of the wrong end of the maze. frog.gif

Since establishing my cache, two other "compass offset" caches have been set up in my area. I think this is a great idea, as cachers who are not already familiar with compass use really need to learn.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips