Waiting period for go-ahead to log a virtual

How long should one reasonably wait for the virtual cache owner to acknowledge your answer? Some of these virtuals are like "don't even think of logging your find until you give me the answer and I say its OK." Hey - I can read a brass plate on a statue about as well as most folks. Personally, I think three days is pushing it - especially for a pathetically easy question.

The longest I waited was 24 hours. I got an email about a day later that was rather apologetic and said it was OK that I went ahead and logged.

Heck, you don't know if these folks went on vacation or something. I'd go ahead and log and face the consequences.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

What really prompted my question was that I had sent the cache owner an email the day I'd found the cache. My message was that I planned to log the cache the next day, even if I did not hear back. So three days later I get an email from the owner stating that my log would be deleted unless I emailed an answer. Coulda been that the message didn't get through. Nonetheless, three days IS too long, no?

quote:
How long should one reasonably wait for the virtual cache owner to acknowledge your answer? Some of these virtuals are like "don't even think of logging your find until you give me the answer and I say its OK." Hey - I can read a brass plate on a statue about as well as most folks. Personally, I think three days is pushing it - especially for a pathetically easy question.

Teach 'em a lesson. Hide a microcache really close to their virtual cache. TPTB will declare that since a physical cache has been hidden in the area, the virtual should never have been approved and will archive it. That'll teach 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by astheravenflies:

How long should one reasonably wait for the virtual cache owner to acknowledge your answer?

I log them immediately.

(I like the ones that have you enter a password to open a certificate. Then you know immediately if you got the right answer.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I email and then log it right away. One guy didn't get my email so he emailed me to double check. That seems appropriate. If I've done my job (finding the virtual, emailing my answer, logging the find), the responsibility rests on the owner to double-check logs against emails.

Jaime

Jaime and Jason

Team Cacheopeia

image ©scienceandart.com -- used with permission

I always log the find, then send the email. I didn't know there were cache owners that required you to wait! Never had a problem with any of the cache owners of virtuals that we've found.

Cacheola Crew

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by Keymaker:

How does the enter a password to open a certificate work? I havn't seen one of those, sounds like a good idea.

Usually it is a passworded MS Word document, but (before GC.COM started eliminating javascript and forms from the pages, some let you enter the password right on the cache page.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I have just the opposite problem.

I have 3 virtuals, and in the last 6 weeks have had 4 finders contact me with answers...I sent email back and told them to log finds...they never did...even after 2-3 emails on my part...can't for the life of me figure out why they would take the time...then not log ! icon_rolleyes.gif

Aging is not for wimps !

Hey, my gray hair is just a disquise !

quote:
Originally posted by astheravenflies:

Yeah thanks Team 5-Oh for deleting my log and archiving your cache. How all-powerful of you. Well, at least you did us all a favor by archiving your cache.

You were asked to resend the answer and you did not. As far as deleting your log, I told you it would be without the proper answer. As for archiving my cache(s). I have enough to keep me busy right now without having to chase down folks that fail to answer or provide the wrong answer to a simple question. Yes you were one of them. As for how many days to respond to your reply (as many as it takes). Of course if you forget to send the message then there will probably be no reply.

The fact is, and the electronic record is in place, that I emailed the answer to you - twice. In fact, I asked you in my second email to let me know if my answer was incorrect. You never answered that question. I'm sure I had the correct answer - I have a digital photograph of the monument. Your reply to two of my three emails is testimony that you, in fact, received my emails. That electronic record stands and can easily be retrieved. I rest my case.

Your just a little further south of where you were before.

Anyway, its just one cache. Its no big deal.