In regards to "buried" treasure...

Hi all,

Real quick question:

We're not "supposed" to dig holes to bury caches, yet many do. Whether it be a partial hole to begin with, or even none, some folks have neatly "burrowed" a spot for their cache. I'm not here to be the "ethics" police on that - I'm just as glad to find a cache no matter where it is! icon_wink.gif But I wanted to place some caches along the beach - but what are the "rules" on burying them here? I'm hip to what a metal detector can do (we've got a nice Garret, ourselves!) icon_wink.gif and I know a conventional cache with anything metal would be nabbed by the first "metal detector" guy out scanning the beach. So, my cache would be "non-metallic" (probably some nice books and childrens toys - and CDs if they don't "register").

Here's my "dilemma:" I don't want to place some cool caches that are in violation of posting the coords here. Meaning, is burying something at the beach just a little bit different than burrowing a tunnel in the forest? Considering that most things end up getting buried anyway, couldn't I give it a "jump start?" I can't just "leave it there" and wait for the wind to cover it with sand.

So, what say you? Is burying something at the beach a criminal act in the eyes of the GeoStaff? I think the "digging holes" rule would be a little far-fetched in this case, but before I go loading up loot, I want to make sure it won't be "dis"appreciated. icon_wink.gif

Grandmaster Cache

It could be gone in the first storm. And, I believe that would be, uh, TOMORROW! (If you live around the east.) Tides vary, wind blows, sand is very unstable. I used to live near this place called Midnight Pass in Florida. It was a break between 2 keys. It's gone now, filled in by a storm, closed it right up. Go north to Block Island, RI. Last year, this huge rock on the beach was taller than me. This year, it's waist high, and the beach is much sandier. It's not a good idea if you want a long lasting cache. Also you may think you know right where you put it but try to find it again if it's buried, you could be digging a while, in circles. You could pass right over it and it could be a foot deeper than you thought. Find a better spot a tad more inland, I would recommend.

I'm adding to my post here, I guess if it's a sheltered area without too much weather the terrain won't change that much, but be careful where you put them in dunes, they are fragile habitats.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

[This message was edited by Planet on December 04, 2002 at 06:43 PM.]

I have plans for a buried sand dune cache, but it will be immediately adjacent to an exposed rock, which will be the only obvious landmark within the GPS range of error. Won't be deeper than 6" and hints are likely to be given as to the nature of where to look. It's in a sheltered area so wind exposure isn't a problem, and normal pedestrian traffic will be nil so accidental finds should be nil.

But to bury one in the middle of an anonymous expanse of sand would be a little silly, I think.

Ah well...back to work. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by HairyLittleDwarf:

I have plans for a buried sand dune cache, but it will be immediately adjacent to an exposed rock, which will be the only obvious landmark within the GPS range of error. icon_frown.gif

Hey HD

Take a trip to Dunedin and try

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=177

Donovan loves to really hide his caches - his hints help.

Ciao,

Brent

hmm3grin1orange.gif

Just wanted to make sure that it's not totally unheard of. I'm not sure about the east coast beaches, but we've plenty around here which have some awesome places to hide a cache, and only a freak storm might ruin it, and that's a big maybe, at that. I don't know that I'd hide it "in the middle of nowhere" on a beach, although my GPS has put me right on top of plenty of caches, and with a couple of kids, it wouldn't take long to find one there, anyhow. I'm not suggesting one bury it halfway to China, and one person here hit it right on the nail - use a stick. It should be no problem, and one would spend far more time taking a one hour hike and then having to go bush-whacking.

Anyway, that's great to hear. There's a lot of pillars and such, and places under the boardwalk, etc. I think the key is to not bury it too aggressively. icon_wink.gif

Grandmaster Cache

You can send to the contact email ahead of time and ping the approvers. I think you'd probably get an okay for something on a beach setting.

The issue I think is more along the lines of digging holes out where park rangers definitely do NOT want holes icon_smile.gif Everyone plays at the beach.

I found one and the way they did it is they send you to the coordinates and you look for two spots along the pier. Then you run a 5 foot string in an arc, using each point as the center of the string's circle. Where the two arcs intercepted was where the cache was buried. Kinda cool.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Trippy, what a great idea! We've got some permanent volleyball nets up in Santa Cruz, and I'm sure I could base something off one of the poles. Another "not too hard" cache would be one along a cement wall, like in Capitola. It's a storm break for a "just in case," which doesn't happen often. I'm sure the cache would have the same "life expectancy" most caches have, and I could even give it a "time out" by temporarily removing it with warning of a big storm that might threaten it.

I'm definitely going to try one... I just have to find a not-so-active beach, and decide what to stock a beach cache with. I was thinking maybe some books on identifying the coastal birds, maybe one sea-life, etc. The hardest caches have the best prizes, and this will be one for the true hunter, so I'm not just gonna "give it away." Maybe some easier ones with "spot locaters," but not this one.

I'll have to run my metal detector over my CDs and see if they "pick up." If not, I can do some relatively "easy" ones stocked with music. But the books are gonna have to be "poked for." icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif There's enough "easies" around here! icon_wink.gif

Grandmaster Cache

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

It could be gone in the first storm. And, I believe that would be, uh, TOMORROW! (If you live around the east.) Tides vary, wind blows, sand is very unstable.

Well, there is a cache which appears to be buried on the beach - although nowhere near the water, and it seems to be doing pretty good. I think this kind of "buried" cache is okay - although I'd think it'd be hard to spot without some sort of identifying marker nearby, like this one has. Just wanted to post an example that shows it has been done, with some success. icon_smile.gif

flag.gif

Click to view the ToeCam

There ya have it, Rubbertoe! What a great example. It's working well. We love to drive to the beach, and now we'll have a mission! I think I'll do a few easy ones, and then go for the "big hide." Books on the beach! Thanks everybody! I wasn't too sure and wanted to see if this had been passed by the powers that be. Of course I'll be sensitive to vegitation, dunes, etc. My biggest concern is keeping metal objects OUT because the "metal detector army" would find it within one week... guaranteed. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Grandmaster Cache

Had a cache here initially named "Buried treasure", but the caching gods deemed the name evil and he changed it to hidden treasure. In any event it is simply pressed into the ground like so...

306384_200.jpg

Another semi-burrowed cache around here is Tick's Birthday Cache by Tick and Nammie. This sucker is HUGE and was initially above-ground but then they came up with the great idea of burrowing it but leaving a string from the lid tied to a nearby tree. This is hard as hell to spot! The thing is massive...

731420_200.jpg

"Software isn't released, it's allowed to escape."

I could TOTALLY go caching with someone crazy enough to dress like Batman. That's cool. Gotta give a shot out to individuality, huh? I probably look like a mercenary going out on our caches, myself! icon_wink.gif

On that first pic, the shoe-tips had me confused, at first. At first, I thought: LAND MINE!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Dang, is that a REFLECTION I see in those tips? icon_wink.gif

Grandmaster Cache