On NPR's Living on Earth

Jeremy

Interesting article I didn't know about until my wife heard an ad for it. Apparently it will air again tomorrow at 2pm PST, though they have a RealAudio and MP3 of it available to listen to now.

A little heavy on the geek side (I have heard that non geeks play too), but it covers all the bases, including the NPS stance on Geocaching. Also an interview with a park manager concerned that a wall from the Revolutionary War may be disturbed by a cache.

(If the link above doesn't work in the future, use this one.)

Jeremy

[This message was edited by Jeremy Irish on March 09, 2002 at 11:47 PM.]

We had an interesting time with Ken Schulman who put this interview together. We spent an afternoon with him and a pack of Cub Scouts. He probably recorded almost two hours of audio while with us including an hour just with Adena Schutzberg and myself. I thought the program was fairly well rounded and I'm glad he spoke with the National Park ranger to get another perspective. All in all, a reasonable plug for our pasttime. - Bob Hogan

I think the article put a positive spin on the sport. It seemed well balanced and fair to both sides of the issue. While there are always going to be people that don't respect the land I think there are very few of them here and they are weeded out relatively fast.

This article is a good example of the things we should keep in mind while Geocaching. If we show that we are aware of (and addressing) concerns, I believe the sport will gain more acceptance with the park service and environmentalists.

I think this article helped open the door just a little wider.

geosign.gif

I have tried this now on several computers, and still nothing. I have ameritech DSL and Internet Explorer 6.0. I also called a friend and had him try the links in Jeremy's post, and still nothing. Detroit has had major wind storm in the last 15 hours, so i wonder if the internet is broke here in Detroit.

5_Rubik.gif

In the npr article the ranger was concerned about someone using stones from an old wall to hide or mark a cache. My points are these:

What about other people who visit the park and disturb things?

IF there where a legitimate permit available the ranger could brief the cache planter about the importance of the rock walls in the area and enforce their protection this way.

Rob

I found the problem with my not getting several links to work including www.loe.org . The problem is that Ameritech DSL keeps dropping connections to websites, including being logged into this messageboard. Even tried this on a Ameritech DSL service at another house, and even that internet connection could not acces Jeremy's links at the top of this message Thread.

What did work, is logging onto America Online, and im getting the links to work now.

THANKS be to Jeremy for a great outdoor hobby.

5_Rubik.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Ranger: "This cache was placed 200 years ago by early pioneers in Geocaching. We're afraid powersnorping may impact the cache's historic significance, and therefore are concerned of the impact of powersnorping."

Jeremy

'

Hmmm,

Sounds kind of like this topic archived not too long ago. icon_wink.gif

It's the NPS's knee-jerk and extreme "No physical caches" policy that I find so offensive. There is undoubtedly ample room for responsibly managed geocaching within at least some NP boundaries, but that concept seems to be anathema to the Superintendent. icon_rolleyes.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Ranger: "This cache was placed 200 years ago by early pioneers in Geocaching. We're afraid powersnorping may impact the cache's historic significance, and therefore are concerned of the impact of powersnorping."

Jeremy

'

Hmmm,

Sounds kind of like this topic archived not too long ago. icon_wink.gif

It's the NPS's knee-jerk and extreme "No physical caches" policy that I find so offensive. There is undoubtedly ample room for responsibly managed geocaching within at least some NP boundaries, but that concept seems to be anathema to the Superintendent. icon_rolleyes.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by AllenLacy:

Someone has been burying caches in National Parks. http://www.nps.gov/morningreport/msg01095.html

Anyone know how accurate that story is before we crucify Fuzzybear? Does he _really_ bury the caches in National Parks?

+ _Illegitimus non carborundum!_

Ya, I know how accurate that story is. I've found five or six Fuzzybear caches and not one of them was buried. I made the mistake of contacting Fuzzybear when I couldn't find his Picnic and History cache and asked him if maybe the Rangers had taken that cache. Being a responsible cacher, he went out to check on them, which by the way is a long way from his home, and while he was there, after finding them undisturbed, talked to the Ranger about caching there. That is what started the whole mess. Fuzzybear hides good quality caches in remote areas, that are in real interesting places. So, no he doesn't bury his caches, and no, don't crucify him.

I had been able to look up the same 2 archived caches Allen found, as well as his current ones, thats why I posed the question.

Now that I think we have established the truth, is there any way to correct the damage that NPS statement has done to geocaching?

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Funny you should bump this thread up today:

We heard the end of Living on Earth while coming back from a brief Geocaching expedition today icon_cool.gif. They read a listener's reply to the original Geocaching story (which we missed, but saw the transcript of). The replier was a Letterboxer, touting that sport as the original and thus better variant. Said that searching for a box of trinkets with a device that told you just where to find it is just so... _American_ somehow... icon_rolleyes.gif

--Alison (of team alisonandy)

(my first post in the forums, so apologies for any breach of netiquette icon_smile.gif

Funny you should bump this thread up today:

We heard the end of Living on Earth while coming back from a brief Geocaching expedition today icon_cool.gif. They read a listener's reply to the original Geocaching story (which we missed, but saw the transcript of). The replier was a Letterboxer, touting that sport as the original and thus better variant. Said that searching for a box of trinkets with a device that told you just where to find it is just so... _American_ somehow... icon_rolleyes.gif

--Alison (of team alisonandy)

(my first post in the forums, so apologies for any breach of netiquette icon_smile.gif