Urban Cache vs. Rural Cache

Guest Krepism

Guest Krepism

What is everyone?s opinion on the mentioned topic? I live in Salt Lake City, Ut and have very easy access to both. With urban caches you can find 2,3 or more in a few hours. But with more rural areas, you might only find 1 if any in a day. My thoughts tend to lean to more rural areas, it seems that you are sharing something more vs. just looking for the treasure.

I realize that everyone does not have the great outdoors in their backyard, but to me it seems more like adventure.

Guest Moun10Bike

The single cache that I have hidden so far has gone unvisited in 8 months because it is too remote to generate much traffic. However, it is located atop a mountain with a gorgeous view that most people would enjoy visiting. On the other hand, caches placed in the local parks around here get 5 or more visits in a week. I think there is a lot of value in both kinds of caches, you just have to determine what you want to accomplish with each one -- generating traffic or leading people to a cool remote location.

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 02-27-2001).]

Seems like a bunch of the Urban Caches are not thought out that much. Takes as little thought to place them as it does to look for them. Gotta love a cache that is so far out there that no one goes looking!!!! If there is a winning the game that is it. You went further than anyone else! Hopefully there is some good suff in the cache for the brave soul that ventures so far afield!!

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by azmark:

Hopefully there is some good suff in the cache for the brave soul that ventures so far afield!!

I like to think so, but you'll have to visit it to find out! icon_wink.gif

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:

Hopefully there is some good suff in the cache for the brave soul that ventures so far afield!!

I like to think so, but you'll have to visit it to find out! icon_wink.gif

Guest Pat Patterson

quote:

Seems like a bunch of the Urban Caches are not thought out that much. Takes as little thought to place them as it does to look for them

I was thinking of putting one in the corner of my yard at the base of a tree by the side walk easy to find I know and not much to see but with only 3 in my province my thought was that more # to look for would help kick start the spread in my area and would be a great starter for someone with no previous skills. Very urban/suberban but highly secure from vandelisum. thoughts? would you at 8:00 pm go look for one under 10 miles Just for somthing to do? the other 3 for me require waiting another 2 or 3 weeks

Guest AZMark

Take a 5 min drive to a larger regional park in the area,,,hike the path for 20 min,,,investigate off path and find a good spot.

Still kinda urban, but may also get people to a nicer spot than your front yard.

Just my 2 cents.

M

Guest Pat Patterson

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

Take a 5 min drive to a larger regional park in the area,,,hike the path for 20 min,,,investigate off path and find a good spot.

Still kinda urban, but may also get people to a nicer spot than your front yard.

Just my 2 cents.

M

nice thought but all the parks in the region tend to be atached to school grounds. and the thought of my cache being blown up on the news @ 6 dosn't go over well icon_smile.gif But I see you point and upon much more thought I can think of 2-3 parks with enough off trail land to provide a safe place for a cache. 2 are within 20 min nighttime drive <45min between 3:00 and 7:30 pm> The downside to SW BC is it's built up almost as big as a big us metro area but with worse roads than your smallest hic town pop 10 icon_frown.gif

I off with a full cache, my gps, and a new idea on where to put it.

Thanks

Guest Pat Patterson

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

Just my 2 cents.

M

nice thought but all the parks in the region tend to be atached to school grounds. and the thought of my cache being blown up on the news @ 6 dosn't go over well icon_smile.gif But I see you point and upon much more thought I can think of 2-3 parks with enough off trail land to provide a safe place for a cache. 2 are within 20 min nighttime drive <45min between 3:00 and 7:30 pm> The downside to SW BC is it's built up almost as big as a big us metro area but with worse roads than your smallest hic town pop 10 icon_frown.gif

I off with a full cache, my gps, and a new idea on where to put it.

Thanks

I am bumping this earlier and now rather-relevant thread about quick and easy urban caches with many finds versus rural caches which take much longer to find, and concomitantly with few finds per year, in light of the identical issue that was raised today by NightTracker in the new One Time Find thread

Thanks Vinny for showing that the Urban vs. Rural debate goes back that far. When I began geocaching, 2 years after that this thread started, I decided that all my hide would require a significant hike. A quick look at the time convinced me that plenty of cache were being placed in urban and suburban locations that could be found with no more than a short walk from parking. About half were what we now call PnGs and the others would require a walk of .5 miles or less (round trip). But there were far fewer hiking caches, especially in the nearby mountains. I hid the cache I liked finding with 5 to 10 mile hikes on little used trails. These caches don't get found very often but the people who do find them seem to appreciate the adventure involved. I realize these are not for everyone, but didn't think that I needed to place urban hides as in my mind there were more than enough of them.

Clearly there were not enough urban caches because today there are even more of them. But now there are also many more hiking caches and I could keep busy every weekend with new hikes to find caches. One other thing that has changed in my area is the proliferation of power trails or near power trails. It seems that to attract finders some people will place a large number of caches along a trail. While I enjoy the opportunity to find a number caches especially on a interesting trail, I feel I've accomplished more when I hike some long distance for one cache instead of just following the trail of 15 nearly identical caches over the same distance. But from experience, it is easier to get a group together to find the 15 caches than it is to get a group to do the one cache. The smiley is clearly a motivation for some people in deciding which hiking caches to look for.

What's really great is that in a mere nine posts (some of them duplicates -- another case of nothing new), they also covered caches near schools, caches in front yards, and bomb squads blowing up caches. Nowadays, those topics each make up at least three threads a week.

Edited by Dinoprophet

What's really great is that in a mere nine posts (some of them duplicates -- another case of nothing new), they also covered caches near schools, caches in front yards, and bomb squads blowing up caches. Nowadays, those topics each make up at least three threads a week.

And, what is even more illuminating -- and heartening -- is that we are seeing that even then they were talking about the need to use tremendous care and thoughtfulness in placing urban hides so that they did not turn out to be lame!

And, what is even more illuminating -- and heartening -- is that we are seeing that even then they were talking about the need to use tremendous care and thoughtfulness in placing urban hides so that they did not turn out to be lame!

IMHO, one of the things that lead to lame caches are lame concepts for creating caches.

For example, there seems to be a proliferation in an area not too far from me of caches which follow a contrived theme to create a cache "series". There is, for example, an "Always" series. These are caches which are place near a Walmart (Always Open). There have also been a series of caches called "Do the Dunkin' Dash", all caches placed around a certain breakfast beverage/pastry chain. There is another "Drug Wars" series based on the phenomena that Drug Stores seem to located within short proximity to other chain drug stores, and most recently a "Gas Wars" series that are placed around gas stations located kitty corner to each other. What do all these have in common? They are almost always lampost skirt caches, but are somehow legitimized by the fact that they are part of a "series".

Discuss.

1st, I'm a newbie with only about 61-caches under my belt, and am a backpacker. Yesterday, I took a days vacation and drove to the mountains to find some caches "in the middle of absolutely nowhere" in the middle of the National Forest. ( I found all three I went after)

Looking for Urban caches will never be the same now. Caches in the Mountains for me :)

What's really great is that in a mere nine posts (some of them duplicates -- another case of nothing new), ...

I'm pretty sure that these duplicates were not originally in the thread. Many duplicate posts were created when the threads from the old-old forums were brought into the new-old forums.
Discuss.
de gustibus non est disputandum

No one is forcing you to search for "lame" caches. No one is forcing you to hide "lame" caches. Regardless of what you think a "lame" cache is.

Bravo! I have a 1/1 front yard hide. And as it says in the description, it's good for kids to find. Give them the name, and point them in the right direction, and they might find it!

I have gotten _1_ negative comment, something like "Drove up, saw it, left, not my type of cache" in the log. Great. Have fun with "your type". But one more 3 hour puzzle cache in tick infested multi-flora-rose beds, and I'm about ready for some quick, easy, "from the car" types.

Some days I'd rather die than do a micro, and some, I'd far rather be hiking in the woods than looking for magnetic stuff. To each their own.

It disheartens me to see the world "lame" used as a judgement. Fine. Not your type? Cool. But don't call em "lame" caches, cause someone is just as proud of that "lame" cache as you are of your 97 stage, 38 mile cache that requires complete knowledge of sartre, the DaVinci Code, and the Necronomicon Ex Mortis, including punctuation.

I think the interesting thing about this ancient thread is that even back then, many of the people that were deriding other people's caches didn't really understand what the game was about.
Seems like a bunch of the Urban Caches are not thought out that much. Takes as little thought to place them as it does to look for them. Gotta love a cache that is so far out there that no one goes looking!!!! If there is a winning the game that is it. You went further than anyone else! Hopefully there is some good suff in the cache for the brave soul that ventures so far afield!!

I'm happy to find any cache, urban micros on up. Of course I'm very very new to this. I just think it's great fun to have a treasure hunt alone or with family. I just got my gps and can't wait to really go after the more difficult ones out past where the local built-up area ends. After I figure out how to use it, that is.

Heck, I thought the gravitation toward a general void of original thought was a fairly recent phenomenon.

It's reassuring to see that these creativity vacuums have been around since the early days.

Oops... Almost forgot the standard lame cache disclaimer: If you don't like lame caches, don't hunt them. :):D

Yes, that was my observation as well! The effort to thinly disguise lameness as "creativity" and "thinking outside the box", in "creating" yet another lame cache series, has been around for a while!

Heck, I thought the gravitation toward a general void of original thought was a fairly recent phenomenon.

It's reassuring to see that these creativity vacuums have been around since the early days.

Oops... Almost forgot the standard lame cache disclaimer: If you don't like lame caches, don't hunt them. :):D

Yes, that was my observation as well! The effort to thinly disguise lameness as "creativity" and "thinking outside the box", in "creating" yet another lame cache series, has been around for a while!

I thought he was complaining about the quality of the old posts.

The quality was horrible! Nice to know there were still forum burps back then, although apparently the term forum burp hadn't been invented yet. ;)

The quality was horrible! Nice to know there were still forum burps back then, although apparently the term forum burp hadn't been invented yet. ;)
There weren't forum burps back then.

Notice how no one in the really old threads ever commented on the duplicate posts. That is because they didn't exist, at the time. The duplicate posts were created when the threads from the old, old forums were moved to the then-new, old forums, as I recall.

i think its a bit rude and somewhat arrogant to consider a cache to be lame just because its in an urban area and doesnt take a long time to search it out and sign the logbook. yes there will always be people that just place them for the sake of placing a cache with little or no thought, but please do not lump all urban caches into that hideous expression of being lame.

you will find that there are people, like me for instance, that enjoy geocaching but for one reason or another, like having a young child, or being disabled, will find that the majority of cache hiders simply do not consider that not everyone is as able bodied to go traipsing out into the middle of no where where the terrain is not family or disabled friendly to go exploring for these caches. i live in an area that has very few caches and the ones that do exist are not accessible to me with a young child.

that is why i have started to place more urban caches around my town.

i do not just place them anywhere with no thought, i take time exploring my town and thinking the best place in a certain area to hide a cache. i like to hide caches to show visitors a place they would never have known about in their short flyby visit to this part of the uk.

and what do i get in return for bringing cachers to a pretty or interesting area? insults and criticisms because they dont take the time to look around in their quest to gain more stupid numbers to their names.

im sorry numbers freaks, but welcome to reality that not everyone can get out to a cache with a good long walk and a tricky hidden cache.

there thats my 2 copper bits opinion, you either like them or hate them but just dont assume they are all lame.

i think its a bit rude and somewhat arrogant to consider a cache to be lame just because its in an urban area and doesnt take a long time to search it out and sign the logbook. yes there will always be people that just place them for the sake of placing a cache with little or no thought, but please do not lump all urban caches into that hideous expression of being lame.

you will find that there are people, like me for instance, that enjoy geocaching but for one reason or another, like having a young child, or being disabled, will find that the majority of cache hiders simply do not consider that not everyone is as able bodied to go traipsing out into the middle of no where where the terrain is not family or disabled friendly to go exploring for these caches. i live in an area that has very few caches and the ones that do exist are not accessible to me with a young child.

that is why i have started to place more urban caches around my town.

i do not just place them anywhere with no thought, i take time exploring my town and thinking the best place in a certain area to hide a cache. i like to hide caches to show visitors a place they would never have known about in their short flyby visit to this part of the uk.

and what do i get in return for bringing cachers to a pretty or interesting area? insults and criticisms because they dont take the time to look around in their quest to gain more stupid numbers to their names.

im sorry numbers freaks, but welcome to reality that not everyone can get out to a cache with a good long walk and a tricky hidden cache.

there thats my 2 copper bits opinion, you either like them or hate them but just dont assume they are all lame.

You make some good points, and I agree with all of them. However, it is also true that a very good percentage of the urban micro caches in the USA are quite lame, and inane, and constitute little more than urban blight, particularly when there are more than one of them within a square mile. Because you live in Scotland, you simply may have little or not experience with the kind of blight that I am speaking of, where it seems that every lamp post and every guardrail (and every garbage dumpster behind every fast food shop) needs to have a microcache in it or on it.

And, for my part, as the record shows, whenever I have discussed lame urban micros at length on the forum, I have always qualified my statements to the effect that not all urban micros are necessarily lame, nor are all urban caches necessarily lame. However, it is true that in some regions of the USA, they are a blight, to the extent that cachers in some regions have held bonfire events for the express purpose of disposing of lame urban micros in a funeral pyre.

For the reality is much as songwriters John Densmore, Robbie Krieger, Ray Manzarek and Jim

Morrison wrote in 1967, when composing the hit song Light My Fire:

You know that it would be untrue.

You know that I would be a liar.

If I were to say to you,

The count of lame urban micros should much higher.

Come on, baby, light my geo-fire.

Try to set the lame micros on fire.

The time to hesitate is through.

No time to wallow in the mire.

Try now we can only lose.

Put the lame urban micros in the funeral pyre.

Try to set the lame micros on fire, yeah.

[Long instrumental break.]

. . . //

You probably think its a bit rude and somewhat arrogant to consider ice cream to be lame just because its plain vanilla or chocolate and not some fancier flavor. :rolleyes:

Curious that you blame numbers freaks for the criticism of your urban caches. Most of the people who complain about too many uninspired urban hides blame the numbers freaks for hiding these caches. I somewhat agree with you. Most urban hides are not hidden solely to allow numbers freaks to increase their numbers but because the hider wanted to place a cache in that urban area for some other reason. Whether it's like you to bring visitors to some interesting area in town, or perhaps to point out the location of a favorite pub (so long as the cache page isn't overtly commercial :santa: ), or even simply in a car park where you can leave your car and explore the area after finding the cache, I find it hard to understand how some can criticize these caches so quickly. Certainly, some people will feel uncomfortable searching in areas where there are many muggles and may want to avoid urban caches for this reason. And there isn't much doubt that many caches are placed on private property without getting permission and some may wish to avoid the chance that they will have to deal with an angry landowner. Sometimes an urban area may not be the most pleasant area to search in as well; occasionally hiders fail to see the trash in the area or notice that some may be using this alley in lieu of a public restroom. So you may from time to time find an urban hide that just wasn't placed with enough thought. But my guess is that these more unpleasant situations are generally unintentional.

As I mentioned before, I'm beginning to see that few people will hide a single cache on a hiking trail. Instead around here, when someone finds a new trail with no caches, they are more likely to hide a series of caches on the trail often at little more than 600 foot intervals. So you may be right in that the numbers cachers are taking over the hiking areas with power-trail spew.

If I were to say to you,

. . . //

This is a masterpiece. Someone must record this...

If I were to say to you,

. . . //

This is a masterpiece. Someone must record this...

Oh! And it can be GEOMAN's TV show theme song!

I am just full of these great ideas...

... in some regions of the USA, they are a blight ...

no_micros.jpg

Filter what you don't want to search for :santa:

My tuppence worth:

There are good and bad urban and rural caches.

I happen to prefer rural caches at the moment, and "rural" doesn't mean "all day to find" necessarily. They're usually in secluded areas, away from muggles, and the finder doesn't need to do a long play-acting routine.

I was out Wednesday and snagged 11 (out of 11). All but three were forest hides. I like them better because they're generally larger and more interesting (have swag, coins and bugs), and let me take a nice walk in the fresh air to find. I walked 3.9 miles Wednesday to find those 11 - I parked the car and left it until I was done.

Urban caches, on the other hand, are generally tiny, usually with just a small log. They're mostly magnetic, and are many times in areas dense with muggles, which sometimes requires either waiting, or going through a routine pretending to be there for something else. I have acted like a sculpture admirer, a meter-reader, someone looking for their lost keys, and many other "routines" for urban caches. They require driving in traffic, finding a parking spot, and short, non-health-beneficial walks to find. And there's rarely swag, coins or bugs - just a log.

But they're nice for a quick grab on the way home from the store or on the way to work. The thrill is in the hunt, wherever that may take you. Remember - caches are like pizza, or sex - there is no "bad" cache - only varying levels of good :santa::rolleyes:

Filter what you don't want to search for :rolleyes:

Kohavis, no need to post a screen shot to make the silly "filter all micros" point. :santa:

Who hates all micros? Who filters them all out? No one I know of. C'mon now, if you think that's the solution, you haven't been paying one bit of attention to what most of the alleged "micro haters" are saying.

Filter what you don't want to search for :rolleyes:

Kohavis, no need to post a screen shot to make the silly "filter all micros" point. :santa:

Who hates all micros? Who filters them all out? No one I know of. C'mon now, if you think that's the solution, you haven't been paying one bit of attention to what most of the alleged "micro haters" are saying.

No, but he has a starting point. I think that Clan Riffster uses a method that starts this way and returns great happiness to him. (If it isn't CR, I apologize and will look for the link.)

Either way, it isn't too hard to identify those urban ones that Vinny likely won't be interested in.

55377dd4-c5e0-4062-9a55-be9e8c04c2a2.jpg

Filter what you don't want to search for :santa:

No, but he has a starting point. I think that Clan Riffster uses a method that starts this way and returns great happiness to him. (If it isn't CR, I apologize and will look for the link.)

Either way, it isn't too hard to identify those urban ones that Vinny likely won't be interested in.

55377dd4-c5e0-4062-9a55-be9e8c04c2a2.jpg

No, not really a starting point, filtering all micros. I study all caches upon publishing, and if I see something like that, it gets plonked on the ignore list. Of couse I'd probably be able to tell before calling up the sat view, as the 10 word or less cache description, or cache name would probably tell me it's at a McDonalds.

Is that cache next to the dumpster? I think it's next to the dumpster! :rolleyes:

Interesting to see such a very old thread resuscitated... For a minute there I thought that something had gone sadly awry on this Forum as the Topic had a queue of "Unregistered" names at the top! :santa:

MrsB

For a minute, I thought something was terribly wrong when I saw "With urban caches you can find 2,3 or more in a few hours." :rolleyes::santa:

i think its a bit rude and somewhat arrogant to consider a cache to be lame just because its in an urban area and doesnt take a long time to search it out and sign the logbook.

While that's probably relevant somewhere, I'm not sure what it has to do with this thread, or even geocaching in general. I've been perusing these forums for years and I have yet to see anyone who seriously considers a cache lame simply because it's urban and easy. For the most part, those who are vocal about lame caches are referring to those hides in which absolutely no thought was used for the placement. While it may be statistically true that those folks who lack even the slightest hint of creativity tend to place their hides in urban settings, and make them easy to find, the reverse is not always true.

I believe it was in the movie Miracle on 34th St where we first heard the line: "Yes Virginia, there are lame caches". :rolleyes:

I think that Clan Riffster uses a method that starts this way and returns great happiness to him.

Yup, you nailed it. The official CR method starts by employing PQ's to eliminate micros. Then I do sorta what T.W.U. suggests, reading each newly published cache regardless of size, adding them to my GSAK if they sound interesting. This works well for me, because there are several locals who hide caches which appeal to my own biased aesthetics, and their combined hide rate exceeds my find rate, meaning I will quite likely never run out of the types of caches I prefer.

I think that Clan Riffster uses a method that starts this way and returns great happiness to him.

Yup, you nailed it. The official CR method starts by employing PQ's to eliminate micros. Then I do sorta what T.W.U. suggests, reading each newly published cache regardless of size, adding them to my GSAK if they sound interesting. This works well for me, because there are several locals who hide caches which appeal to my own biased aesthetics, and their combined hide rate exceeds my find rate, meaning I will quite likely never run out of the types of caches I prefer.

I stand corrected! I should have read that thread "methods for determining those caches you enjoy" (or whatever it was called). I know it was started by Kit Fox. Now someone has to come clean though, was that traditional cache icon photoshopped in next to the dumpster? And I'm thinking that may be a Big Boy's location, not McDonalds. Forgive me, there isn't a Big Boy within 300 miles of me. :)

Interesting to see such a very old thread resuscitated... For a minute there I thought that something had gone sadly awry on this Forum as the Topic had a queue of "Unregistered" names at the top! :)

MrsB

What I noticed was that Mount10Bike is listed as unregistered!

Me, I kinda like small to midsized parks, preferably with a wooded area. Less urban caches, but without the long hikes to get to the cache.

Interesting to see such a very old thread resuscitated... For a minute there I thought that something had gone sadly awry on this Forum as the Topic had a queue of "Unregistered" names at the top! :)

MrsB

Did you perhaps mean Moun10Bike?

Jim

MrsB

Did you perhaps mean Moun10Bike?

Jim

Umm, yes.

I stand corrected! I should have read that thread "methods for determining those caches you enjoy" (or whatever it was called). I know it was started by Kit Fox. Now someone has to come clean though, was that traditional cache icon photoshopped in next to the dumpster? And I'm thinking that may be a Big Boy's location, not McDonalds. Forgive me, there isn't a Big Boy within 300 miles of me. :rolleyes:

It's a McDonalds. You can see the golden arches next to the road on the left side. I think that's one of the rare outdoor play areas that you are confusing with a Big Boy. Also, I have no photoshop skills.

Edited by sbell111
It's a McDonalds (you can see the golden arches next to the road on the left side) and I have no photoshop skills.
In that case, a cache next to a McDonald's dumpster is OK. I love the smell of rotting McDonald's food in a dumpster. Mmmm! :(

If it was a Big Boy dumpster then that would have been crossing the line... :rolleyes:

Edited by TrailGators

Filter what you don't want to search for :(

Kohavis, no need to post a screen shot to make the silly "filter all micros" point. ;)

Nobody said anyone hates all micros. But I read a lot of negative posts about micros. I offered the filter solution as one possible answer.

And, yes, the screen grab wasn't entirely necessary, but I find that it reduces post skimming when there are pics involved :rolleyes:

I guess in Washington, and especially the NW corner, we're blessed with some nice urban caches. The ones that I particularly like are the ones in town and neighbourhoods that feel remote even though they're right in the middle of lots of people. There are a lot of natural areas around houses and in town that are little mini parks where you can have a small walk and find a nice cache.

Some pics (just of remote-feeling urban caches) (these caches are of all sizes):

51825b49-f612-450e-bacc-fe141b04dcf7.jpg

2692f7a3-20de-48b8-a680-912ef4d0d11c.jpg

15052da2-cc1e-4fd4-9521-d13f7a971987.jpg

2a9d99d3-85a7-454b-9fd4-f9b8db95b610.jpg

2e51166c-4e04-4f66-843e-399172589916.jpg

4fec5301-e385-4e49-9a46-5f2fa0f49cb1.jpg

84e8cbdf-e8b8-4b88-b906-3fc6e2b17441.jpg

81f4b6e7-2586-473d-b2ca-3c721a4170b7.jpg

natureentrancepanoramacropped.jpg

Edited by Ambrosia