log only caches

dboggny

My experience with micros has been very positive. I usually don't trade anything, just sign the log, so micros suit me just fine. There is a series of them hidden in Louisville, KY that are some of the best caches,of any variety, that I have ever found. All of them are very cleverly hidden and in parts of the city that I would have never seen if it weren't for geocaching. Some of them were fairly easy, some of them took a couple of tries, but all of them were hidden in a manner and place that I was glad to see. I have noticed several new ones placed by a particular cacher and I can't hardly sit still until I get the chance to spend a couple of days up there hunting some more of them. Their small size opens up many possibilities for hiding places that couldn't be done with a regular size cache, especially in a large city. I live in a rural area and see plenty of trees and forests so I welcome the chance to see interesting places in the city.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

I generally don't like micro caches, but in some places like heavily used parks, or in the cities, they are necessary.

I do have a few micros out there, but I always try to include trade items. Stuff like inflation needles, fishing flys, old coins, small jewlery(earrings, cufflinks), Wheresgeorge dollars.

We have placed 5 micros containing no more than a roll of paper and a few stubby pencils [2 have since been archived]. They have been well received. The advantages to this include enabling the cache hider to be more creative in placement. There is little need to go deep into the brush to place them. The disadvantages include disappointing those seekers who enjoy the swap.

We have also hosted one virtual cache which seems to enjoy considerably less traffic than the micros.

Life is a bowl of Mulligatawny soup, some like the garlic, some like the onions, some like the pepper, or the ginger, the broth or what ever. Like geocaching, there should be something there to please everybody. - Go for the ones you prefer.

I know it's hard to be of two minds when your only mind is hardly working, but I'm of two minds on micro-caches.

On the one hand, I'm of the view that it's possible to hide a black film can in the forest so that no one, not even the person who hid it, can find it.

On the other hand, I've recently found a series of microcaches hidden by CameraThyme. They use a very small container (about .5" diameter by 1.25" long) that contains only a rolled up log. And you know what? I love'em! The extremely small size means that the hider can get pretty creative. Good hints make it not too frustrating. They're brightly colored, so the searcher has half a chance.

Check out the picture of the container on this cache:Just Log It! 98003

Some inquiring minds have .. inquired .. about the container I have been using for my "Just Log It!" series here in Washington State. The container hails from REI. It is a micro-cannister in their novelty key chain section. They retail for $2.95. I also make use of the water resilient, flexible paper by National Geographic. Appropriately named "Adventure Paper", one can get 7 log scrolls off of an 8.5 x 11 sheet, which makes the log scrolls quite economic. What to look for next...?? Look out Oregon... my "Just Doo It!"'s will be in place this summer.

Reasoning behind log-it only caches: Some parks, areas or landmarks necessitate the extremely small containers. It brings folks, geocachers, to a location that is more landmarky vs. trail adventure. The "Just Log It!" series take you to original log cabins or cabin structures from the early 1900's.

VDS, local to 98003, planted a micro/log it cache perfectly within a fragile environment. The goal of getting someone to a neat, hidden or 'forgotten' area right out your back door is still realized without invading that fragile, natural spot with a traditional cache box.

Long live Geocaching.com ~CT

CameraThyme icon_eek.gif

Some inquiring minds have .. inquired .. about the container I have been using for my "Just Log It!" series here in Washington State. The container hails from REI. It is a micro-cannister in their novelty key chain section. They retail for $2.95. I also make use of the water resilient, flexible paper by National Geographic. Appropriately named "Adventure Paper", one can get 7 log scrolls off of an 8.5 x 11 sheet, which makes the log scrolls quite economic. What to look for next...?? Look out Oregon... my "Just Doo It!"'s will be in place this summer.

Reasoning behind log-it only caches: Some parks, areas or landmarks necessitate the extremely small containers. It brings folks, geocachers, to a location that is more landmarky vs. trail adventure. The "Just Log It!" series take you to original log cabins or cabin structures from the early 1900's.

VDS, local to 98003, planted a micro/log it cache perfectly within a fragile environment. The goal of getting someone to a neat, hidden or 'forgotten' area right out your back door is still realized without invading that fragile, natural spot with a traditional cache box.

Long live Geocaching.com ~CT

CameraThyme icon_eek.gif

I'm torn...

I found CameraThyme's ''Just Log It 98003'' cache, and VDS's cache that she mentions, and a bunch of other micros over my brief caching career. I like the fact that they took me to places that I otherwise wouldn't go, to see things I wouldn't normally see, and give me time to do things with my daughter other than sit around and watch Harry Potter for the 17th time.

And yeah, some places *have* to have a microcache, either to keep the cache hidden, or minimize environmental impacts.

But another part of the fun of caching is the ''clang. pop.'' of an ammo box. The scent of forbidden treasure from an unusal container. The amazement of finding something I've placed in once cache turn up in another. And yeah, draining water from a gladlock container and trying to write in a soggy logbook.

So yeah, microcaches are fine, but when faced with a choice, I'd hunt normal caches first. There's not a lot of difference between microcache hunting and benchmark hunting, except that the coordinates are (usually) better for the micros. But benchmarks give better hints icon_wink.gif

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I'm torn...

I found CameraThyme's ''Just Log It 98003'' cache, and VDS's cache that she mentions, and a bunch of other micros over my brief caching career. I like the fact that they took me to places that I otherwise wouldn't go, to see things I wouldn't normally see, and give me time to do things with my daughter other than sit around and watch Harry Potter for the 17th time.

And yeah, some places *have* to have a microcache, either to keep the cache hidden, or minimize environmental impacts.

But another part of the fun of caching is the ''clang. pop.'' of an ammo box. The scent of forbidden treasure from an unusal container. The amazement of finding something I've placed in once cache turn up in another. And yeah, draining water from a gladlock container and trying to write in a soggy logbook.

So yeah, microcaches are fine, but when faced with a choice, I'd hunt normal caches first. There's not a lot of difference between microcache hunting and benchmark hunting, except that the coordinates are (usually) better for the micros. But benchmarks give better hints icon_wink.gif

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland