CAUTION: Hunting Season -- Be Smart

I was quaffing a few with a friend last night who told me of his experience while looking for gems/crystals near a creekbed late last fall. It scared the (OOPS!) out of me. He was shot at by an extremely careless hunter (who was alone and new to the sport) and, fortunately, escaped without injury.

I should note that my friend was remiss in not wearing brightly colored clothing; he had on a tan barn coat and a green cap. This not withstanding, I believe the cause of the near-tradgey was the inexperience of the hunter.

So, my fellow geocachers, a few words of caution if you are caching during hunting season:

1. Always assume there are hunters in the area and that they may or may not be *experienced* sportspeople.

2. Always wear bright colors; preferably bright orange. I use a flourescent yellow-green or orange baseball cap (geocaching.com!) and wear a bright orange vest.

3. Try to cache on the days/times when hunting is not allowed. In my area, this is all day Sunday. And by the way, I have seen folks hunting illegaly on Sunday! (see 1. above).

4. If you cache with the kids, please use extra caution. Dress them in bright colors and don't let them wander off to far.

5. Be aware of animal trails and signs of recent activity (scat). Try to avoid these areas.

6. If your GPS can report the good/bad times for hunting and fishing, it may be prudent to use this info to identify days/times to avoid. Most of my hunting friends us GPSrs so you can bet they're out there when hunting times are reported to be best!

In short, please use common sense and be extra cautious when you are in the woods.

Cheers,

BP

During hunting season you have to be careful what bright colors you wear. I teach hunters education in Pa and one of the safe turkey hunting tips is DO NOT wear anything having red, white or blue in them. Those are the distinguishing colors of a turkey’s head. If you are in the brush looking around for a cache a hunter might hear the sounds, see movement or perceive a flash of color and may believe it to be made by a turkey. Your best bet like BletchPark says is to limit your caching to non-hunting hours or to days that hunting is not allowed. If you feel you must go caching during the hunting season, wear the appropriate safety clothing or fluorescent orange that is required by your state game commission. Here is what Pa requires during the hunting seasons. The safety band is probably one of the best things that I carry in my pack while I’m caching. Cache smart and safe.

how about a hunter dress in blaze orange catching a few fliers from a shotshell? this happened to my party this weekend.

the problem with nearly all colors with the execption of the florescent ones is that they occur naturally in nature.

ive been in the woods all my life with various activities and the stupidity of some people never surpprises me. there is a quote here along the lines of when you make it idiot proof they will make a better idiot, please keep this in mind during the silly season.

be safe!

Wow, this is something us Angelinos would never have thought of. I am glad that in a big city, we don't have to worry about a hunting season.

That is not to say, that is some neighborhoods in Los Angeles wearing red or blue won't get you shot.

stealyourcache.gif Why are you allowed to argue passionately about Michael Jordan vs. Magic Johnson; why can people talk about horoscopes, astrology, reincarnation, drunken parties, one-night-stands, radical drug highs and the details of their sex lives...but I can't talk about my personal faith in Jesus Christ?

As a hunter I'm always frustrated by those that make everyone into that activity look like a walking hazard. No matter how many times they are told not to, there are those that use their rifle scopes as binoculars to check out other hunters. This is the reason I never where blaze orange. I think it's better not to be seen at all.

Any wack-o out there that shoots at a movement or noise doesn't belong in the woods.

Hunting is permitted on Sundays in most places.

I know there are idiots in every sport but I just want to let you guys know that not all hunters are complete boneheads. I would never pull the trigger on a movement or a noise. Always properly identify your target and know what's beyond it. That's basic hunting safety and common sense.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Here in Virginia, it is a statewide law that requires hunters and anyone accompanying a hunter to wear a blaze orange hat or blaze orange upper body clothing that is visible from 360 degrees or display at least 100 square inches of solid blaze orange material at shoulder level within body reach and visible from 360 degrees.

You would NEVER catch me in the woods anytime during this season without my blaze orange. I'm a hunter myself, and not one time did it cross my mind to leave the blaze orange at home. There are some crazies out there, as well as those with lack of experience or just plain lack of common sense.

If you do decide to geocache during hunting season, it wouldn't hurt a bit to wear a blaze orange hat or vest. Maybe there are those who think this is a tacky way to dress to go find a geocache, but think of it this way:

Rather have the orange on and make it safely to and from the cache than get your a** shot off by a dumb hunter...You choose.

Alan2 sorry I'm so late in my reply. Archery and fall turkey seasons in PA overlap with themselves and the early black powder and youth squirrel and pheasant seasons. Hunters dress in full camo when hunting turkey and bow hunting for deer, so they need the orange when on the move to be seen. (by other hunters not the game).

It does make sense but….. Usually an archery or turkey hunter is in a tree stand or blind and should be “relatively safe”. The range that they would be shooting is no more than 30 yards. The 250 sq. inches of orange come in to play during the other seasons when one would be shooting much longer distances. Still like the others said you have to identify your target and know what is beyond. Hope this helps.

It was a great weekend for hunting. Muzzleloader season opened up here this weekend. I haven't seen too many caches placed in areas where there might be hunting but I'm sure there are some. The main thing is for hunters to follow the rules and others to be cautious of hunters that don't follow the rules.