New Garmin unit....

Alphawolf

We just got an in-house memo to drop the price on the basic yellow E-Trex to $104 because "Garmin is about to release a new unit that is smaller than the e-trex with the same functionality. This will slow or kill e-trex sales" (para-phrased) Does anyone have any more current info on this? I'm working on it to see what I can find out.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Any chance they're actually talking about the Rino 110?

No, this isn't a unit that is already on the market. This is a new, unreleased model. Got my interest. And rumor has it that this won't be the only new model to hit the streets.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

Guys,

Just a thought, but if I was really obsessed, I'd love to have a combo cell phone/GPS. If you were a real alpha geek, you could add in a PDA too, and have a sweet combination.

Screens on cell phones keep getting a little bigger, and you could probably imagine that an eTrex was a cell phone. Think about it. Looks almost like the older Nokias.

Just some random thoughts from my brain. Ooooooo. New gadget......

KungFuJoe icon_smile.gif

I can almost garantee we will have cell gps combos on the market by fall of 2003.Its inevitable.Imagine a satelite phone,GPS capable,internet palm pilot with a touch screen,2way radio like a rino,hell lets throw in a music radio with an mp3 player.yeah baby!!To bad it would cost5000 bucks.If they could make it affordable,like 1000 bucks it would be the gadget of the mellenium.there garmin millenium or magellin,lowrance.maybe a couple of huge companys could put there heads together and blow peoples minds! Its the same with home electromics.you could have a big screen thats a computer, stereo,TV,dvd,vcr.If its built like a computer you could upgrade or trade in any component for a better one.Some people are anti-combo mind you.I would buy one if it were upgradable icon_biggrin.gif

May the angels fly with us down the beaten path!

quote:
Originally posted by AllenLacy:

Please note: This product is not available in the U.S.

Yes... but that's a product that was due for release in the latter part of 2002 (also in the fine print). The 'mystery product' being discussed here is something that is likely to be released sometime in 2003 ...so who knows, maybe Garmin will be introducing something similar for the North American market.

ontario1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Garmin's on a roll. Howver I can understand GPS with cell or GPS and PDA but not PDA with cell. How do you use a PDA while talking on a phone with the same unit?

Sooo, Alan, how do you use the eraser at one end of a pencil while writing with the other end? icon_eek.gif

Could be that the two are just handy to have in the same unit, even if you don't use them at exactly the same time, maybe...

Merry Christmas to you, Alan, and to all the others here. There is snow in Sweden right now, so it seems that we have chances to experience a white Christmas this year too.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:...Sooo, Alan, how do you use the eraser at one end of a pencil while writing with the other end? icon_eek.gif

Could be that the two are just handy to have in the same unit, even if you don't use them at exactly the same time, maybe...

Merry Christmas to you, Alan, and to all the others here. There is snow in Sweden right now, so it seems that we have chances to experience a white Christmas this year too.

Anders

I don't need an eraser. I don't make misteaks. Whoops, mistakes.

And Happy New Year to you Anders and to everyone else.

By the way, I just thought of how you could use PDA built in cell phone so you can talk and look up info at the same time. Earphones!. Of course that could be a pain since you'd have to put them on each time.

YOu ought to see me driving. I got my Vista stuck on a RAM mount on my windshield., Coffee cup in my right hand. Cell phone between my left ear and my shoulder all while looking up stuff in my Sharp PDA with my left hand. I use my knees to hold the steering wheel! One of these days.... (Thank God I gave up smoking.)

Alan

quote:

I don't need an eraser. I don't make misteaks. Whoops, mistakes.

And Happy New Year to you Anders and to everyone else.

By the way, I just thought of how you could use PDA built in cell phone so you can talk and look up info at the same time. Earphones!. Of course that could be a pain since you'd have to put them on each time.

YOu ought to see me driving. I got my Vista stuck on a RAM mount on my windshield., Coffee cup in my right hand. Cell phone between my left ear and my shoulder all while looking up stuff in my Sharp PDA with my left hand. I use my knees to hold the steering wheel! One of these days.... (Thank God I gave up smoking.)

Alan

Your going to get around to killing someone?

Wyatt W.

(I hope you get what I mean, its late and I am tired)

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

...you're probably right! Do you have a link to a text description of the 'geko 201'?

No, thats the odd thing. Not a mention of it anywhere except on the CES website, where they mention it's an honoree for 2003 in personal electronics. Guess we'll know more in 3 weeks.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.