Suggested units for a newbie?

tirediron

As a newcomer to Geocaching (new as in I have yet to buy a GPS!) I am looking for some help from more experienced users. Firstly, are there any models that stand out as "Don't buy these even on a dare" or likewise, ones that you think are the cat's @$$? Right now, I am thinking about the Magellan Meridian Platinum. Has anyone used that model, any pro's or con's with it or the Meridian line? Are there any "must have features"? Thanks all, appreciate the help!

I bought the Meridian Color.

I use it for geocaching and for driving. I like the fact that I can tell a black trail from blue stream. However, that is a lot to spend for color.

I think having a map display makes the GPS serve double duty, and would not be just for caching.

I think a major PLUS for the Meridian line is the removeable SD card. This gives you pretty much unlimited memory, plus copying a map to an SD card using an SD card reader/write is many many times faster than uploading through the GPS itself.

I've been told that the quadrafiliar helix antennas are more accurate under tree cover, but you do have to hold the unit vertically. The "patch" antenna allows you to hold the unit horizintally while you walk.

My meridian (and other models) are sensitive to static electricity, and at least once per day of caching, the unit powers down when pulling it out of my pocket or case. But, all I do is turn it back on. I just ordered a "wetsuit" type of case that I can leave on during a hunt to see if that stops the problem.

I think it comes down to what you can afford.

Originally, I wanted a Rino, but decided to keep my GPS and radio seperate.

Good luck making your choice. (I made mine about 3 weeks ago). The Garmin vs. Magellan fervor sometimes rivals the abortion or guns debates...

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

Stick with a Magellan I have a Sportrak Map and it works great. My wife bought me an Etrex Vista for Valentines day and we are returning it tomorrow. The antenna really stinks in the Garmin Etrex we could not keep a lock on the satellites. With the two units side by side the Magellan had a solid lock on four or five birds while the Etrex was having a hard time keeping a lock on one.

You mention you want something for geocaching, but what other uses are you wanting to use a GPS for - that is really what is needed to know before committing the cash out for a GPS.

I own a $1000 Garmain Street Pilot 3, full color, massive screen, auto routing and rerouting, 128s of memory and it talks to you. This is IDEAL for the road traveler, but a heavy peiece of equipment that eats batteries for the casual geocacher.

I am also a small private pilot and the Street Pilot is like looking at the most beauftiful color map as ytou fly over anywhere in the country, but again - I would not trek the woods with it,

I then have the Garmin Etrex Vista which has many bells and whistles the Street pilot does Not have - including glide slope info, built in barameter and electronic compass, but the screen is tiny and in a pale gray scale that is hard to visualize after looking that the breath taking Sreet pilot three.

I will say that a friend had a Magellin Sport Trek Pro and it was beautiful in his hand, bright and sharp at night and in poor lighting - but it had a major flaw that caused him to return it - the OVERLAYING of the map was about 500 feet off from the actual GPS coordinances. That is, everywhere he went, it would show him literally a block ahead of where he was standing.

He couldn't trust this unit, although all that was needed was a software fix, but Magellin said they saw no such fix for at least 8 to 12 months. He returned it and setled for the Garmain GPD5 which is a little brother to my Street Pilot 3.

More to come.... in NEXT POST

I agree with dustyjacket I have a Color Meridian too. I love it! I had the Meridigreen before that one. It was great too just not color. (the Yellow and Green meridians are the same)

If it comes down to money the way I see it is I've never seen a Magellan I didn't like, but the Garmins have a nice upper end line of GPSrs. (if your willing to spend that much) The lower end Garmins have horrible antennas if you ask me.

I just purchased a Meridian Platinum and accessories from CompuPlus.com and I have to say that I am extremely pleased with both the GPS and CompuPlus. The GPS is everything I expected and more. It locks on to multiple satellites quicly and is loaded with features. The only drawback to CompuPlus is their shipping. The cheapest they offer is 2ND Day Air UPS, which for me added $41.15 to my total. However, when you compare prices with other places that offer free shipping, and believe me I DID, I still got a better deal. I bought the Meridian Platinum, 128Mb SD card, Sandisk Card reader, Mapsend Streets and Trips and the Auxilliary Car power cable and including the $41.15 shipping, I paid $453. The good news is that I'm getting the Magellan $75 mail in rebate since I got both GPS and Software. If you are going to get one, go ahead and get all you'll ever need now, so you don't have to upgrade in a year to get the extra features. Oh yeah, everything was NEW equipment, nothing refurbished. Good Luck and Happy Caching...

YukonMike

quote:
Originally posted by YukonMike:

If you are going to get one, go ahead and get all you'll ever need now, so you don't have to upgrade in a year to get the extra features.

YukonMike

I disagree. I think it's much wiser to buy one of the cheapest things out there (like a etrex Yellow) and then decide later on what extras you'd like to have. If all you are doing is looking for simple geocaches, you don't need all the bells and whistles.

Also, let's say you spend $400+ dollars and then realize that geocaching or the whole gps thing just isn't for you. Now you're stuck with a expensive toy you'll never use.

--CoronaKid

Only if you have a good idea of what you want and money is not an issue would I go for a fuller-featured model. I bought a used low-end eTrex, got familiar with its capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses, then bought a new Platinum. I feel I got the GPSr that is just right for me. If I would have gone for the one I thought I wanted from the start, there's a greater chance I would have had some second thoughts after I had more experience under my belt.

I re-sold the eTrex for close to what I paid for it, less a reasonable amount for my wear and tear.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I bought a Meridian GPS from buydesigns7 on e-bay for a great price. I've tried Lowrance, Garmin and Magellan. My low end Magellan (310) aquired a lock and stayed with it better than my Lowrance globalmap 100. My Garmin was fickle. The Magellan Meridian works just great and with more accuracy than my old standby 310. I got the Mapsend software and I'm diggin it!

YukonMike,

That 128MB SD card you got, is it from Magellan or some other brand name like ScanDisk?

Thanks,

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by YukonMike:

I just purchased a Meridian Platinum and accessories from CompuPlus.com and I have to say that I am extremely pleased with both the GPS and CompuPlus. The GPS is everything I expected and more. It locks on to multiple satellites quicly and is loaded with features. The only drawback to CompuPlus is their shipping. The cheapest they offer is 2ND Day Air UPS, which for me added $41.15 to my total. However, when you compare prices with other places that offer free shipping, and believe me I DID, I still got a better deal. I bought the Meridian Platinum, 128Mb SD card, Sandisk Card reader, Mapsend Streets and Trips and the Auxilliary Car power cable and including the $41.15 shipping, I paid $453. The good news is that I'm getting the Magellan $75 mail in rebate since I got both GPS and Software. If you are going to get one, go ahead and get all you'll ever need now, so you don't have to upgrade in a year to get the extra features. Oh yeah, everything was NEW equipment, nothing refurbished. Good Luck and Happy Caching...

YukonMike